Dog in season and "group" training.

WiskeyJaR

Dog in season and "group" training.

Post by WiskeyJaR » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:48 am

for those of you that go to "clubs" for training and such. If your bitch is in season, and knowing that your dog would be on lead the entire time, so no chance of "tagging", would you still take your bitch to group training? or would you keep the bitch home till she is done? How much will she "interfere" with the other dogs?

The Club meeting is only a monthly thing, so she will more then likely be done by next time, (3 weeks). But am curious how much a female in season would mess with other young dogs in training? Do folks just keep their females home so as not have to worry about it?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:50 am

My opinion is to leave her home till she is out. There is nothing to be gained by taking her.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:32 am

Leave her home. She might be on a leash all of the time but the males in the class would certainly be distracted. You would not be very popular with the other dog owners.

WildRose

Re: Dog in season and "group" training.

Post by WildRose » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:54 am

WiskeyJaR wrote:for those of you that go to "clubs" for training and such. If your bitch is in season, and knowing that your dog would be on lead the entire time, so no chance of "tagging", would you still take your bitch to group training? or would you keep the bitch home till she is done? How much will she "interfere" with the other dogs?

The Club meeting is only a monthly thing, so she will more then likely be done by next time, (3 weeks). But am curious how much a female in season would mess with other young dogs in training? Do folks just keep their females home so as not have to worry about it?
Every place she pees and probably every place she steps she is going to leave a distraction for every male dog participating that day. Having a bitch in heat present can also get the other females to acting up, being aggressive etc.

If she's not completely out do everyone a favor and leave her home. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:55 am

Ditto Leave her home
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:05 pm

Ever workout as a youth? what if a nakid gal was around? Not much work gets done. Same with a bitch or gyp in heat. Makes em nekid so to speak :)
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:29 pm

If you want to lose all your friends quickly take her to the training day !

Bill T.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:39 pm

Had someone do that at a field trial this past fall. Brought the dog right to the line then decided to pull the dog. It took the first 100 yards of hacking to keep my dog to the front instead of cheking out the last place she was. I weren't happy.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

jetto

Post by jetto » Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:40 pm

Not to mention she might not get much out of the session either. Trainer had our girl recently while she was in season. Although she was able to stay in training, several of his other girls who were "in" had to take a break. They just weren't in the frame of mind to be learning at the time.

We did decide that it was much more pleasant for us and the 3 intact boys at home this time since the one with hot pants was away!! Think we'll arrange it that way from now on... :wink:
Kristi

PacificPointer

Re: Dog in season and "group" training.

Post by PacificPointer » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:25 am

WiskeyJaR wrote:for those of you that go to "clubs" for training and such. If your bitch is in season, and knowing that your dog would be on lead the entire time, so no chance of "tagging", would you still take your bitch to group training? or would you keep the bitch home till she is done? How much will she "interfere" with the other dogs?

Whiskey......
I went to that same club's meeting years ago, are they still using that wagon wheel setup with the place boards???

They told us to " go over there " and train because we had been thru the whoa post and e-c to the flank.

I put a topic up years ago about that wagonwheel place board setup and it got hammered ...........