Two dogs

Vandal03

Two dogs

Post by Vandal03 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:28 pm

I've got a 4-year old and a 9-week old and they have a pretty good time going at it in the living room or backyard. Obviously, during official training sessions when the new pup is older, they'll be separated so that the focus is on me. But how much should I be separating them at this age? Should I let the new guy play on his own or with me so he starts developing independence of thought? I like to let them go at it to wear each other out - but, the attention span is definitely much shorter for listening to his name being called when the older dog is around versus when we're on a walk without the other dog. And sometimes we need to "hug" the little guy to show him a little restraint when he gets a little too into chasing the older dog. Not that I really have any expectations yet, but I just want to set him up right for the future.

fuess

2 dogs

Post by fuess » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:45 pm

Brought home a new pup in OCT. My other is 12. I let the 2 play until the older one got tired of puppy nonsense. I di not have to do a thing, the older one let him know when it was enough. Other than that, Itry to pay them both attention on their own, as well as toghether.

Good luck,

FUess