Help

madonna

Help

Post by madonna » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:58 pm

i have a problem: my DK does quartering very good. but sometimes by turning around, she turnes in my direction- wrong wind, and not in the right direction- away from me in front of the wind. can anyone tell my, what my mistake is and how to train better? greeting madonna
The woman, who plays with the pups

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:12 pm

I'd be happy to try and help but you aren't clear enough here in what's going on, or in what you think she's doing wrong to give any good advice. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:14 pm

I wouldn/'t worry about it. I've never seen a dog that makes every move just right.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:43 pm

I think what Madonna is trying to say is her dog as it makes a cast to one side or the other is turning back in toward her and possibly coming in to her rather than making constant forward movement.

Just stabbing a guess at it :?

madonna

Post by madonna » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:38 pm

Casper wrote:I think what Madonna is trying to say is her dog as it makes a cast to one side or the other is turning back in toward her and possibly coming in to her rather than making constant forward movement.

Just stabbing a guess at it :?
Yes, thats right, but the dog is not coming to me, only turning backwards toward me by making the cast to one side or the other. Greeting and thanks madonna

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:08 pm

IMO this is nothing to worry over. Many dogs do this. I feel dogs do this because they are looking for direction from their handler because it has been so ingrained into them through obedience to rely on their handler for direction. In my limited experience dogs that get hacked into a specific range tend to do this.

I can probably be trained out by just being consistent in teaching the dog to make the correct turn on each side while on a check cord.

Im not a dog trainer so take it for what its worth.

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:17 pm

seriously I say let the dog hunt and keep your mouth shut. Especially if you can see it.

madonna

Post by madonna » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:54 am

Dear, i think you are right! the judge at kleemann said, that the dog is cooperative too much. he failed, because he chased two hare....
but best dog in the water in his group with five dogs- they all failed, because the judge said: "Don is the measuring pole for every dog in this group".
my emma has no problems- but is most cooperative too. on saturday we had a trainingsday with 6 other dogs. they chased hare, did not point. Emma was perfect- slow and near me in cover, fast and wide in the field, pointing staunch every hare. i made a pic. emma has no good pointing stile at this pic, because she already stood some minute, that we could bring the other dog into the pic too as secunding dog. thank you for your comments! Madonna

birddog1220

Post by birddog1220 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:50 am

madonna
can the dogs get knocked out at the kleemann for not turning in the wind in the field portion. by that i mean in the field search the dog turns down wind instead of into the wind. just wondering

jim ritze

madonna

no

Post by madonna » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:04 am

No, dear, the dog can not knocked out because of that. don failed, because he chased two hares... my fault- not the fault of the dog. but i will do my best to train emma better than don. Greeting madonna