force fetch part 2.

Ryan Baumann

force fetch part 2.

Post by Ryan Baumann » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:20 pm

as you can see by the video that this is coming along. Sage is more settled but still defiant. I have put a longer chain on her neck but still have her hip hitch to the pull. We are both having fun learning together. But we are making progress and that is good. But as you can see she is not even close to being ready to be unhitched on the table. But she knows what I want and is starting to figure it out. It will be at least another week before we are going up and down the table. this was our 12th session. I just wanted to show you all where I was at. DON'T GIVE UP AND DON'T MOVE TO FAST AND BY HUNTING SEASON YOU WILL HAVE A FORCE FETCHED DOG!

JimB

Post by JimB » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:13 pm

Ryan
if you don't mind, I have a question for you,...who's method of FF are you following ? I trained for a long time, and have worked with many trainers, but I have never seen, or heard of strapping the dogs hind end to the post. Now, I not saying you're wrong, but this is a new one for me. We have always strapped the head to the post. And if you're up to discussing this, would you tell me why you do it.

Thanks
JimB
Rosewood Kennels
Larned, KS
www.RosewoodKennels.net

Ryan Baumann

Post by Ryan Baumann » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:20 pm

I watched the gun dog 2 dvd and the lohmans retriever training dvd. I just sent them to a guy so I don't remember the pro the pro on that tape. I am new to so feel free to give advice. I have just read and whatched dvds since i can't find any video on the procedure. so thats what I am doing.

talk to me sounds like you know more than I. serious this is my first time with force fetch. But it is not my first hunting dog. :D

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:57 am

Looks like things are going good. The dog is happy, you are happy.

I may not ask or say this right but here it goes.

With out the sound, I have a question or comment. Near the end it seemed that on two occasions you gave your fetch command and the dog did as you commanded without the toe hitch pulled. Then after each time immediately it seemed that you went right to pulling the toe hitch again. Does the dog reach down for the buck without the toe hithc at this point or was it not responding or not responding quick enough?

It is hard to tell some things from the video, but You must be doing good because he responds and is happy doing so.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

JimB

Post by JimB » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:06 am

Ryan
I have not seen either of the two DVDs that you mentioned . Do they advocate strapping the hind end to the post, or was this your own idea ?

I haven't seen your video, as I have a very slow dial-up and I frankly don't have the patience to wait 20 min for it to unfold. But I guess that things are working for you, as you are getting the results...
JimB
Rosewood Kennels
Larned, KS
www.RosewoodKennels.net