Best Way To Train Whoa ?

K.K.

Best Way To Train Whoa ?

Post by K.K. » Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:51 am

Curious as to some opinions on the what the readers here think is the best and easiest way to train the Whoa command. Also at what age.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:07 am

The origional Delmar Smith whoa post. I understand he doesn't do it that way any more but it's simple and has worked for me for years; I can find no reason to change it.

As for when, its something I leave up to the dog. Usually somewhere between 8 mos and a year the dog is mature enough to put on it. Its not that there's anything harsh about it but the dog must be paying attention and puppies aren't real good at that. To easily distracted.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

smittysmith777

Post by smittysmith777 » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:05 pm

I like to start at6-8 weeks with the siutcase method

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:29 pm

We start whoa about as soon as the pup comes home. Initially with brief physical restraint before feeding, playing or other more or less natural rewards and gradually removing restraint, lengthening the period before release and introducing other temptations as Pup gets the hang of it. Also reinforce it with "whoa" stops (rather than "sit") during heeling work and before being released to retrieve, but that's about as formal as we get about it.

When you've got a whoa that'll stop a cat or squirrel chase in the yard, you've a serious fine tool for the field, as well.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:01 am

getting the pup to stand still when food is being palced down..
then when you put your hands on them for them to stand still lift up when they wiggle when they settle put down wiggle pick up settle set down when you can pet then for a seond while they stand still release them
after a few sessions the pup learns to stand when you place you hands on them

rick smith has a puppy development dvd which is pretty good www.huntsmith.com

make sessions very short with a young pup and starting out with something new if you get the desired for a second great ...try agian later
slowly work it up to a few seconds ..stay with in the paramters of the pups attention span quit them before they quit you and do push a good thing to failure
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

K.K.

Post by K.K. » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:50 am

Thx all, I've generally used the Navhda training table method and just wondered if easier methods worked well.