Whistle

sjohnny

Whistle

Post by sjohnny » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:55 pm

I just read a book that recommended multiple whistle blasts for "come" and one whistle blast for "whoa". I thought I had previously read the opposite (or I may be not remembering correctly). I imagine it doesn't really matter as long as I'm consistent but what is the standard? Does it really matter as long as I pick one way and stick with it?

Thanks,
John

bnjburgess

Post by bnjburgess » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:28 pm

I use one for whoa, multiple for come and two to release from whoa...

WeiMe

Post by WeiMe » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:34 pm

I use one long blast followed by a couple short blasts for the recall. I use two for the release command and directional changes. I use one for "Whoa" but I'm slowly easing up on that as we break her. -Same goes with the directional changes because she's searching well and keeping us in mind...she's learning it's a partnership... :lol:

sjohnny

Post by sjohnny » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:38 pm

Thanks. I may be misremembering the stuff I had previously read.

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:10 am

I'm one who uses a single whistle for "come". (Two for whoa and a long, whipped-up-at-the-end blast to release or turn.) Started doing so decades ago on the theory that if the dog is stretching hearing range and hears anything at all, he'll turn in where he can hear better, rather than mistakenly whoaing way out where I can't see him and he can't tell he's being called. Don't know whether it's actually saved such confusion or not, just that I've seen no reason for change.

Doubt it really matters, as long as you're consistent.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:08 am

One for stop or sit, two for NO (direction change), three for HERE.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:12 am

the logic for multiple blasts for "come" is that you can keep hacking the dog if it decides to ignore the command. IF multiple blasts mean "whoa" or "hup" and it ignores the one blast command for "come" , if you keep single tooting to try and get it to come in it will cause confusion.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:43 am

Why on earth would one want to keep hacking a dog that decides to ignor a command? That's just teaching the dog it can blow you off. And there's no logic at all in that...

(And to see just how confused I really am, join us in my online blind at: Rick's 2009-2010 season log)

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:03 am

Rick, I didn't say it was the optimum situation

however

I'm not going to make the claim I've never had a well trained dog ignore a command the first time, they aren't robots. Put the right distraction/temptation in front of them and they all will occasionally slip up. Kind of like teenagers :lol:

So if they are doing that, and your normal come command is multiple whistles you can keep doing it until they respond. Its a better option than letting them wander into harms way like a road ect.

Mine usually have a ecollar on them, and we all know the happy ending in that case.

Bob
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:22 am

bobman wrote:So if they are doing that, and your normal come command is multiple whistles you can keep doing it until they respond. Its a better option than letting them wander into harms way like a road ect.
And why if Pup was, in fact, ignoring you in what you felt was an emergency situation, couldn't you repeat single blasts? Or, as one would hope is more apt to be the case, you simply aren't sure Pup's heard you? I would.

(We actually use a multiple toot whistle to signal my guys to "hunt in" from where they're at, as opposed to the single blast's "come straight in," but that's a different issue.)

Again, though, I doubt it matters much what signals are used, as long as Pup's been taught to understand and obey 'em.

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:31 am

I teach my dogs that any and every whistle means 'move on.' Once they understand that, I don't use a whislte at all because my dogs never hunt or compete alone. Look at all the different whislte combos you guys use. One blast means this, two means that. Each person teaches something different. Do you know how confusing it is to a dog if they guy walking beside you uses whistle commands that are different than yours?

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:32 am

Do you know how confusing it is to a dog if they guy walking beside you uses whistle commands that are different than yours?
Actually, I know it's not nearly as confusing as you seem to think. We hunt with others all the time, and the dogs sort their whistles out very quickly.
Last edited by Rick Hall on Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Windyhills

Post by Windyhills » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:35 am

To answer your main question, I think whatever you use is fine if you stick with it.

I use one long loud blast for come, figuring it's easier to hear (or in training, gives me more certainty they heard it so I can correct them if they don't comply). Two short blasts for turning. That's it for me, never thought the whistle was useful for whoa use for my pointing dogs.

sjohnny

Post by sjohnny » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:46 am

I think "come" may be the main thing for which I want to use the whistle. I don't know anyone else who has a bird dog so there's no danger of confusing him with the whistles of other hunters with me.

Thanks everyone. I never thought this would be a topic that would start a debate :)

John

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:05 pm

And why if Pup was, in fact, ignoring you in what you felt was an emergency situation, couldn't you repeat single blasts?
:lol: :lol: :lol: I do

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Gosh, you are new to this dog stuff. The only thing two out of three dog people agree on is that the third doesn't have a clue.

bobman

Post by bobman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:45 pm

:lol: :lol:

sjohnny

Post by sjohnny » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:54 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Gosh, you are new to this dog stuff. The only thing two out of three dog people agree on is that the third doesn't have a clue.
Very new but I learn a little more every day :lol: Especially the important stuff like that!

smittysmith777

Post by smittysmith777 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:46 pm

WHISTLES BELONG IN A FOOTBALL FIELDS

Rick Hall

Post by Rick Hall » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:04 pm

IF YOU HAD A WHISTLE YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TO SHOUT!

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:05 pm

Windyhills wrote:I use one long loud blast for come, figuring it's easier to hear (or in training, gives me more certainty they heard it so I can correct them if they don't comply). Two short blasts for turning. That's it for me, never thought the whistle was useful for whoa use for my pointing dogs.
We're newbies, but we do the same thing as above--and it works great with our 9 month old puppy. Really great success and she caught on to it quick. Whatever whistle blast you decide to use for your "here/come" command--you can start using it when you call your dog back into the house from a potty break or do recall work in the yard. We literally have the same brand whistles by both house doors.............and use them religeously.

As far as what I'm aware, a whistle blast is going to carry a lot more audibly than the human voice, if your dog ventures an extreme distance. I mention that we have a few of the same brand whistles, as from my understanding--different whistles have different tonal qualities, and you wouldn't want to confuse a dog by mixing them up from day to day. A dog po'fessional can chime in on that--if it's true. But I would recommend buying a few good quality whistles, of the same type, so you've always got one on hand. Denise

mtlee

Post by mtlee » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:01 pm

I whistle trained my shorhair....3 blasts for "come" and 1 blast for "sit" (I did some basic handling training with her for blind retrieves).

I will probably NOT use the whistle w/ my EP pup. I've found a whistle trained dog can be annoying while hunting. For instance, if someone I'm hunting with is blowing a whistle for their dog(s) my shorhair will come to me and if they keep blowing the whistle she completely shuts down. She will just sit and look at me like "what the heck...I came back to you why is the whistle still going??" Its really annoying that she won't leave and go hunt again until the commotion stops. Also, if you do any kind of trials and your bracemate's using a whistle I can imagine the situation would be similar...I've heard horror stories about that. Just my opinion.....