Anyone Tournament Hunt?

MasterScout

Anyone Tournament Hunt?

Post by MasterScout » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:21 pm

I do some tournament hunting with my lab which I consider to be a blast. I was looking to doing the same with my new GSP. I was just wondering if any of you guys tournament hunt with your pointers and how you would train your pointer for this.. I talked to a guy who tournament hunts and he said steadiness is not a very big deal in tournament hunting. I know dog must be on point for about 3-5 seconds considering what tournament your entering.

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:55 pm

I beleive all you need is a fast dog with a good nose for pen raised birds and can fetch, the rest is up to your shooting ability. being steady to wing, shot ,and fall is not important. It is not about training and style but about putting birds ind the bag fast. Imo kinda sad :( not really about dogs hunting and seeking objectives and hunting for the handler.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:08 pm

phillipsgsp,

I think you would be surprised how much training goes into those dogs. It's just a different game and if you ever try it you will discover the pressure put on the handler and shooter which gets transfered to the dog through its training. The name of the game is hurry and find a bird hurry to shoot so there isn't a long time consuming retrieve, the ability of the dog to find and retrieve the bird to hand at the dead run, etc etc etc.

It may not be your cup of tea either but I know how hard it is to try and train a dog to do everything on the run. Just another game we play.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:19 pm

I know, didn't mean to come off sour. I have watched the tv show and just has not impressed me. I think only 1/2 the dogs bring the bird to hand but maybe that is because the handler is taking a step and reaching for the bird before the dog can get it there. I have competed in a few of these type of events and done very well but to me it just does not showcase what a good hunting dog is about. Like you said it is another game we play and I did not mean to ruffle anyones feathers. :)

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

ohiohuntinweim

Post by ohiohuntinweim » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:54 am

I have run in UFTA events, which is very similiar to BDC.
Its a fun game to play, and I have started judging which allows me to watch a lot of dogs and handlers. Some in it for speed only and others for speed and style.

Just got our first placement in amatuer...

I am pretty new to the whole bird dog thing so I just use it as a fun way to get on more birds. I am not trying to be super competitive so I don't train any special way for it!

I had trained my dog to return to heel on a retrieve and I still expect her to do it during thses events. It costs me time but its what I want when i hunt so its what i expect when she runs!
Jeremy

"Going to the woods is going home." -John Muir

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:26 am

Here are some pics from the Tournament this weekend Jeremy placed in. Good sized fields with heavy cover so while there is no score for a higher tail, your dog had to hunt, retrieve well, and handle to score quail from this.
Colin