Hot but good weekend

grant
GDF Junkie

Hot but good weekend

Post by grant » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:46 pm

Training this past weekend was hot!!! So we spent time in the pond =) I did get about 10 quail to work the dogs with though. I think Kage looked better than he’s ever looked before. I couldn’t be anymore happy with him. Bell kicked major tail also. She was retrieving at a full sprint! I don’t know what clicked, but I hope it stays with her… I’m just real happy with my bunch… I’m looking forward to backing off trials, hunt tests, etc. this summer, just fine tuning Bell and giving Kage some good bird exposure…

Kage with quail

Here's the otter again

Here's Bell with a quail.

Bell again

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:00 pm

I know what you mean about the heat. So far so good here in Indiana.. If it gets any hotter than what it has been i'm afraid I'll be out training at day break, in order to beat the heat. It makes it nice for the dogs having couple of training fields not further that stone throw from the Ohio,the river that is:>) You can break off the training with the River so close to give the dogs little cooling off from the heat..

Nice Water work, by the way....

Is the pond part of your property....

G...

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:06 pm

Its at the plantation where we train part of the time... It works out well for the dogs... We go to Weiss Lake in AL a good bit in the summer... We went Sunday and I tried to get the dogs to jump off our dock.... They wouldn't. I think its a bit high to start them off on. =(

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:21 pm

Either way it's nice to have an in to a place like that one in your post.
I bet it gets hot a humid down your way,more so than it does here in In.. I too have access to a preserve not far from my house with a half dozen or so ponds scattered a bout the place.. The nice thing about is that I'm friends with the dog handler ,so I get to run the dogs on few left over Rooster and quail. I would imagine you have the same set up at the plantation..

You know the Picture Robert Grove submited ( Field mastersshorthairs, for the Photo contest. That was my pup Pete going off of a three foot high dock. He's been doing it since he was 4 or 5 months old, can't keep him out of the water:>) swam half ways across the Ohio one time trying to out swim a hen duck that was taking him away from her nest, scary stuff :>(....
G

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:26 pm

Gregory wrote:swam half ways across the Ohio one time trying to out swim a hen duck that was taking him away from her nest, scary stuff :>(....
G
I bet!

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:13 am

nice water retrieves Grant...

We've been training at day break for a month now. Already in the 90s by the afternoon.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:13 am

I thought this was interesting. Note how the splash is frozen.

Best, Greg

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:27 am

I'd hate for that new camera of yours to come up missing at the next hunt test =) It sure does the job. 8)

He's locked in on that ball huh...

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Apr 12, 2005 6:38 am

grant wrote:I'd hate for that new camera of yours to come up missing at the next hunt test =) It sure does the job. 8)

He's locked in on that ball huh...
If it comes up missing, someone will have to answer to Donna and it won't be pretty.

It's a neat camera. Just the pictures that Donna took at the Darby's convinced me that it was a good investment.

He's a focused little boy...when he's not being a total goof.

Best,