Finally getting into the swing of things

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Finally getting into the swing of things

Post by Ayres » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:13 am

Alright, nearly a year after getting Justus I've finally gotten set up where I can train him properly. A couple weeks ago Danyelle and I were finally able to get ahold of the owner of a hunting preserve just 15 minutes south of our place, and now I've got access and the ability to start training Justus like he needs.

Yesterday I was invited down there in the morning to watch some training and get Justus started again. He hadn't seen a bird since the February hunt test (that we botched... should never have ran we were so unprepared) and I hadn't trained him with birds since sometime last fall/winter. It all worked out ok though. We ran him through an alfalfa field with four remote release traps, and he was solid pointing every one of them.

I was happy to see him not skipping a beat (looked like I had been training him all along) and the trainer (who runs GSP's) told me "Ok, I know I told you a few horror stories about vizslas, but you've got a good dog there. If he keeps pointing like that he'll score very high marks." That sure made me feel good about my dog!

Later we talked about working out a swap of services deal. So long as I help load the bird traps, run dogs, maybe even gun birds to make the training go faster, I'll get my dog trained in the process. Sounds like a good deal for me.

(Oh, and everyone I've showed my homemade remote launcher to has been impressed... especially at the total overall cost.)
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Tue Apr 19, 2005 6:17 pm

Sounds good :!:

Do you have a NAVHDA chapter close to you?

Birdhunter1

Post by Birdhunter1 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:43 pm

Sounds kkinda how I got started in the preserve I am associated with. We kinda swap services like you are going to be doing quite a bit and the owner and I have become good friends. It is fun but at the end of the season you are ready not to see the place, or at least I was but I was down there 5-6 days a week too.

Katies Dad

Post by Katies Dad » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:47 am

I wish I had a preserve around close to me would be great for Katie and me!

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:48 pm

I checked www.navhda.org for the chapter sites. Looks like the closest chapter is about two hours away at least.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:50 pm

good to hear Steven, glad Justus is getting quality time again :lol: Cassi was forced to take a two week break and even missed a hunt test because we have a friend getting married. UGH, the sacrifices we make... :?