Standing on birds without a launcher

Elkhunter

Standing on birds without a launcher

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:13 pm

My pointer is giving me headaches. He will stand some days and others he wont. He has such a strong prey drive, which I like, but we need to learn to focus it. I have some launchers on order but they wont be here for about 3-4 weeks. We have worked WHOA for many weeks and he does very well, he will point and stand when I have the CC on him. When I take it off and let him go in alone, its like we never have worked on anything. Any tips would be appreciated.

Lab Man

Re: Standing on birds without a launcher

Post by Lab Man » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:46 pm

Have you thought about carding or planting birds without a launcher? You need to teach this dog that if he does not stand the birds get away. If you would like to get a Launcher sooner, I can get you a DT or Dogtra launcher within a week. Good luck!!!!!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:16 am

Are you telling him whoa and cueing with the CC when he is on his birds? If you are he is not pointing. Pointing is when the birds stop him - sight, scent or sound, it is only pointing when they stop for the birds. If he is stopping for you, he is not pointing and you have no reasonable expectation that he should point when you are not cueing him to stop.

Leave the CC on him - you shouldn't need to be told (by your dog) a dozen times that he is not ready for it to come off. Bring him in crosswind of the birds and at a distance that he will get a strong nose full. If he doesn't stop, don't say anything, just hold him off and kick the bird out. It takes some coordination but can be done - otherwise wait till you get your launchers. It won't hurt the dog any to not see anymore birds for a couple weeks while you wait to get them.

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:07 am

When I take it off and let him go in alone, its like we never have worked on anything.
This is my opinion, many more people on here are much more qualified to give advice than me. But here it is anyway.
Don't run your dog without a CC on pen raised birds and get a Launcher ASAP!
He is learning he can do whatever he wants when the cord is off and without wild birds or launchers he will develop some very bad habits.
Also your way to far off your check cord. Move right up beside your dog so you can control how much movement he takes after the flush. I kneel right beside my pups so they can't jump around after the flush. Once he establishes point have your helper walk in and flush the bird. If he moves even the slighest blow that bird out and set him back, style him up. If he lets your helper flush, then tries to chase, set him back, style him up and then praise him alot! let him know he did good.
One more thing, Shut your mouth! don't talk to the dog when on point, no whoa no nothing. Whoa has nothing to do with pointing a bird.
Once I get done putting on this hunt test this weekend I'll give you a call and we can go do a little training.
-Brandon-

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:30 am

I am coming out in the morning to help out. Jeb said you needed some volunteers. I will be there around 730 AM. Anytime next week would be good. Thanks