sent our little girl to camp

bullseyebill

sent our little girl to camp

Post by bullseyebill » Sat May 10, 2008 1:27 pm

Took our Vizsla, Sonja to a trainer on last Saturday for at least a month (hopefully to overcome blinking birds and to get some solid bird dog training). It's very quiet in the house (I prefer the noise). Our other dog is moping (at least it seems like it to me). Not having children, this is probably similar to when children go to camp. It's hard not to call and email to find out how she's doing (I'm pretty pathetic).I finally broke down and called Friday,she's doing fine. It's funny, the thing I miss the most is this 40 pound Vizsla wiggling around the house with 3 nyla bones in her mouth and a low pitched growl that seems too low to be coming from this very petite dog.

Thanks for Listening
Cindy

AT2

Re: sent our little girl to camp

Post by AT2 » Sat May 10, 2008 5:26 pm

I just got mine back last saturday. I can empathize. She was gone 2 months and there were times I wanted nothing more than to jump in the car and head down there to go get her. BUT now that she is back and we are doing yard work together I can say the money and time was well worth it. She didnt have any major issues but needed to be green broke to handle. I can honestly say I tried for the longest every day on our walks to teach her to heel and not pull with very little success, and to have her heeeling in the yard with only an E collar was like a miracle for me. She came home with only one bad habit that I can tell, she wants to eat the collar off the other dog. I guess long story short you will be glad you sent her when she gets home.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed May 14, 2008 2:21 pm

I can understand the eating the collar off the other dog. On cold nights I would put my two dogs together and my GSP would eat the collar off of my EP every time. So now I just put them in boxes in the garage on really cold nights. Got sick of buying new collars.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed May 14, 2008 5:32 pm

My dog has been gone 2 1/2 months and its killing me. She will be gone until the end of June and I cannot wait to go get her. I know she is having fun and my money is being well spent though so thats how I console myself at night.

rstbkt69

Post by rstbkt69 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:46 pm

Our girl has only been gone since Saturday. The other dog mopes like Cindys does, the Wife won't hardly talk to me now. Cocoa isn't eating right but the trainer said she is in good spirits so I am worrying about that too. BUt for those that had their dogs go away for training did the same dog come back. I know she may be a little more mature when she returns and trained to hunt, but does the dog really come back and take up where she left off in your relationship. She use to just scram through the house find me and drop intop my lap and go to sleep in about a minute. Is that the same dog I am going to get back. Geez listen to me. I sound like my Jr High girl friend just dumped me. thanks
Jim

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:02 pm

Thats what I have been wondering. I hope I get my same girl back.

rstbkt69

Post by rstbkt69 » Sat May 17, 2008 12:16 am

just a bump to the top to get an answer on how well thge dog returns to normal

AT2

Post by AT2 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:17 am

she seemed to return pretty much to normal a day or 2 after we got home.

littleking

Post by littleking » Mon May 19, 2008 10:50 am

AT2 wrote:she seemed to return pretty much to normal a day or 2 after we got home.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Mon May 19, 2008 11:03 am

ours was a little different, our pup never came back to the same house, we moved while she was away, that probably really messed with her :lol:

even still, she had matured a lot, taken to discipline (wife let her rule the house before), slept hard for a couple days and then was back to normal. she was definitely in tip top shape, she was the sarah conner (terminator 2) of the dog world :lol:

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Mon May 19, 2008 11:16 am

I am just hoping her personality is pretty much the same. She is a sweet dog who just cannot hardly wait for me to open the kennel gait because she knows I will give her attention before I do anything else. I hope she is just as excited to see me as I will be to see her.

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Mon May 19, 2008 7:31 pm

I understand your anxiety. I just dropped my 9 month old brittany off at the trainer yesterday. I know he is in great hands. I truly trust his trainer. Everyone I have spoken to has told me that the dogs don't miss a beat when returning home (I guess he cannot correct his bad house habits). Still, I miss his excitement to see me when I get home from work. Maybe I need a another puppy?

rstbkt69

Post by rstbkt69 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:03 pm

Yep I think another puppy will be coming to our place soon if My wife has anything to do with it. LOL. But we really don't have the room or time for 4 dogs and she knows that. Yet she still looks. Tried to get her to look for another GSP but she keeps looking at Labs. We have one of those too but another pointer would be nicer, For me that is. Ha

FTbritts

Post by FTbritts » Mon May 26, 2008 9:28 am

I know the feeling. I am getting ready to send three dogs to Az white mountains with Jimmy Berneathy from bull creel kennels. A puppy, a derby and a newly broke dog. I am excited for trial season to start this fall.

vols fan

Post by vols fan » Mon May 26, 2008 11:05 am

JUST PICKED UP DOUGIE( PICTURED IN MY AVATAR) on FRYDAY. HE WAS ALL BUSINESS WHILE BRENDA WORKED HIM, GOT HIM HOME AND HE WAS THE SAME SWEET DOG AS BEFORE. HE HAS SPENT THE LAST THREE DAYS IN THE HOUSE WITH MY OTHER TWO GSPS. GLAD TO HAVE HIM HOME.

sambuca

Post by sambuca » Tue May 27, 2008 7:23 pm

I am happy to hear that puppies come back from training the same as they left (hopefully with some serious improvements in field behavior). About 2 weeks before he was scheduled to go to the trainer he decided he no longer needed to listen in the field. As a complete novice, I am in no position to try starting a dog on an e-collar so it was definitely time for him to go.

As far as another puppy, we decided it is only fair to let Sammy (Marjo's Red Sambuca) help choose our next puppy. That should prevent any irrational puppy purchases while he is away.

Hopefully in several weeks he will be ready for regular visits so Sammy and his trainer can teach me how things are done. I can't wait!

bullseyebill

Post by bullseyebill » Tue May 27, 2008 9:00 pm

I'm glad to hear the same pup returns home. We see our girl on the 7th and will decide then if she's ready to come home or not. Talk to the trainer once a week for an update and she's doing well. Wants to eat the birds in the bird house.

Cindy

MattO

Post by MattO » Wed May 28, 2008 3:50 pm

With my own little Vizsla growing up at home, I'd be interested to know who you sent her to and how you went about choosing. TIA