Bird bags

Nebraska

Bird bags

Post by Nebraska » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:24 pm

What brand and style/size of bird bag would you recommend for someone planning on regular training with pigeons??

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Bird bags

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:47 am

Best bird bags I have come across are those carried by Dogs Unlimited. I have used them all just about.

It comes with three different sized openings, 8, 10 and 12" I have fat hands and have a heck of a time with the bag with the 8" opening, especially with gloves on and a plump quail.

The 10" opening works very well for pigeons and chuckar and fine for quail...for me. They have a pretty wide bottom and you should be able to put 3-4 pigeons in a 10" opening bag without crowding the birds. The 12" opening works for the bigger birds like pigeons, up to pheasants, but a quail might sneak out every once in a while as you are takng a bird out.

I spend the extra $$ and have them made up with a brass bolt snap. This way I can carry it on a horse or clip it to my belt. I would imagine you could alos attach them to an ATV rack somewhere. The plastic clips on all of the different maufacturer's bags I have used over the years just don't hold up like a brass bolt snap.

I would also buy a replacement spring snap, and have it handy. They last a long time but when thery start to lose their springiness, the birds can escape at the worst time.

Also, regardless of which bag you use, I would consider replacing the push pins that hold the spring together with machine screws and elastic stop nuts or regular nuts with locktite. The push pins can fall out over time as they wear. The screws and elastic stop nuts are there until you take them off.

RayG

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:35 am

I would also check out Lion Country Supply. Their Game Bird Bag can hold quite a few birds while still being a pretty manageable size. They don't have the option of a brass snap - which now that I think about it, probably would come in handy - but otherwise, I have a few that have served me very well.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

tmoneysju

Post by tmoneysju » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:52 am

phermes1 wrote:I would also check out Lion Country Supply. Their Game Bird Bag can hold quite a few birds while still being a pretty manageable size. They don't have the option of a brass snap - which now that I think about it, probably would come in handy - but otherwise, I have a few that have served me very well.
i'll 2nd lion country supply, they've been nothing but excellent with everything i've ordered from them. They are one of the best online stores i've dealt with and I buy a ton of stuff online.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:01 pm

I have used bags from Lion country and several other suppliers. Only one bag was roomier than the Dogs Afield bag and that supplier is long gone.

I have had good luck dealing with Lion Country as well as Dressler's. Excellent service.

RayG

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:39 pm

There's a reason I like dogs better'n people