Levels of stimulation on ecollars...

MTO4Life

Levels of stimulation on ecollars...

Post by MTO4Life » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:31 am

When purchasing (and training) with an ecollar, there are many options for levels of stimulation for both continuous and momentary. Question is, how many levels is enough? I see some with 6 cont., and upwards of who knows what. What will I need for my dog, or I should say, what is recommended?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Levels of stimulation on ecollars...

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:10 am

6 is perfectly fine for most dogs

only if your training having some of the lower end levels and higher end is better but generally the average person only uses about 1 level and the occasional higher level that maybe required to get a dogs attention and go back to their one level

I know many who have never moved the knob for years or have rarely had to push a button but have the collars on just incase
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:20 am

I like more levels of continuous than momentary. I also do not like a rheostat(Thanks Arlette and Rick :D ), it can move and you have to look at your unit, so to speak, to see what level you're at. If you have to look it's to late. I use the Tritronics Pro 100 6 levels momentary 18 continuous. When you practice a lot with a particular e-collar you get to know where you are without looking at it. I practice setting the level without looking when I'm not working dogs. t pays off to know your gear intimately.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:51 am

I wasn't sure as I was looking at the TT G2 Upland and it has 6 cont. levels. I'm interested in the beeper (hunt some pretty heavy cover), but I didn't know if I should upgrade to the Pro 100 for the extra cont. levels of stimulation, then add a beeper at a later time. I don't have a problem dropping $500 for a collar as it is my dog and I want quality as I don't want to keep buying.

Is there any real difference between the Pro 100 and G2 other than the levels of stimulation? I can't see where there is...

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:16 pm

I agree. I use the TT for my GSP's. Basically it is at 1 level 90% of the time, but an occasional bump up for an "attention grabber" during training. It's all about understanding your dog and the knowledge / comfort level of using the collar. The beeper is a must with a heavy cover situation.
Bill L.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but with my female, level 1 works in the yard or in just about any relatively-controlled situation - ie, close bird work, easy stuff where the bird doesn't run right AT her, etc. But when she's amped up and really mails it in, she can run through a level 6, (out of 10) like it wasn't even on.
I'm one of those guys that just HAS to know, so I've tried the collar on my leg and know for a fact that level 6 does NOT feel good.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:53 pm

phermes1 wrote:Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but with my female, level 1 works in the yard or in just about any relatively-controlled situation - ie, close bird work, easy stuff where the bird doesn't run right AT her, etc. But when she's amped up and really mails it in, she can run through a level 6, (out of 10) like it wasn't even on.
I'm one of those guys that just HAS to know, so I've tried the collar on my leg and know for a fact that level 6 does NOT feel good.
hehe!! My boy was running through the red button without batting an eye for a while. He's over that now....now he's VERY careful to NOT make a mistake :D Heck, he backed a deer last week!
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:31 pm

I have a TT Flyway Special that has 18 levels of momentary and 6 levels of continuous stim. I tend to use momentary stim much more often than continuous in my training so the Flyway Special configuration works great for me.

For all intents and purposes my unit is on level 1 or 2 unless the dog is chasing off game, at which time it goes on 6 and the dog gets and 8 second high hard one.

Someone else alluded to the desirability of using your e-collar transmitter without looking at it. You need to know exactly where the buttons are, so that you can concentrate on the dog and if need be, apply a correction at the precise instant it is needed. The Tritronics unit allows me to do just that. It hands from a holdster off my shoulder and adjusted so the buttons are right at my fingertips. I can tell, without looking, whether I am touching the continuous or momentary stim buttons.

RayG

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:59 pm

All level 1's are not equal!! I train on level 2 of50 on my DT SPT 2400 series. I had a TT and level 1 on it would equal about 8-10 on my DT. I like having a lot of lower levels. I believe lower levels allow you to keep more style in the dog.

Nitrex

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:25 am

I also agree that the TT with 6 levels is more than enough. When all is said and done, most dog's work best AL levels 2 or three on a TT 100. Use too low a level and you create a dog with slow compliance and electrical toleration. Use too high a level and the problems that crop up are too numerous to mention. Always err to the low.

The only time I use continuous is for "whoa". Other than that, I up the level and use a nick.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:31 pm

I like the option of having some lower levels and like having more then just 6 choices.
All I use is the continuous button and I do like having a beeper for the heavy cover I hunt in the grouse woods up here.
I tend to run the beeper in locate only mode as I prefer not to hear the constant noice but everyone has there preferance.
BTW, great looking dog in your avatar MTO4Life !!!

Mav......
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD