Collar material and design??

Nebraska

Collar material and design??

Post by Nebraska » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:19 pm

I need to get a new collar for my GSP and have had good luck with Nylon collars but was kicking around getting a nice 1" leather collar with an O-ring on the back along with the regular D-ring next to the buckle.

Has anyone had particularly good luck with a specific brand, design or material?? If so, I'd be interested to hear what you're using and why.....thanks!! 8)

I'm pretty sure my female GSP will end up around 50lbs so if anyone has a size recommendation, that would be much appreciated as well.... :wink:

This one looks pretty good to me....

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Re: Collar material and design??

Post by Ayres » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:52 pm

I ordered mine custom from Permatack. I gave the measurements to Mary via email, and asked for the O-ring at the back and the D-ring by the buckle, just like the one in your photo. It's as nice-looking as leather and as durable as coated nylon. I'd recommend it anytime.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:57 pm

I've recently switched my dogs over to these:

http://www.cherrybrook.com/index.cfm/a/ ... _inch_wide

They don't fade or crack and are extremely well made.
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:58 pm

I had noticed these in their catalogue and some have the ring...
http://www.gundogsonline.com/dog-collar ... g-collars/

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:26 pm

Nebraska -

That looks exactly like the collars I have been using for years. I find that they hold up quite wel lasting, in most cases, the dog's entire adult life.

I like the double ring design because there are some places where you are required to keep a license tag on a dog and the D ring facilitates that. the round ring always rides on top of the dog's neck and is a very conveinient place to attach a lead or checkcord.

Different places measure their collar sdifferently. I prefer to measure the dog's neck, give them the actual measurement and let them send me the size that fits. Less chance of a screwup that way. Most places I have dealt with have no problem with me giving them the actual neck measurements.

RayG

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:49 pm

I have the same style you've shown, but in the coated nylon. My two dogs love to roll in deer, rabbit, you-name-it-animal dung :roll: --so the washable odor-free collar has worked out great for me. Denise

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:05 am

i have tried leather/nylon but always find myself going back to the plastic collars with O and D rings and a reflective strip through the middle.

Chaingang

Post by Chaingang » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:09 am

I use these and like them alot: http://www.gundogsupply.com/durasoft-orange.html

They are made by Mendota Products. Unlike the Polyurethane coated nylon collars, these are a softer more pliable material much like Permatack, and extremely durable.

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:39 am

I switched all my dogs over to the Mendota Dura soft collars, there strong, very pliable, water does not bother them, the only complaint I have is how the center ring construction is the overlapping piece that is riveted rubs the dogs neck some, but very nice collars.

JMO,
Chip 8)

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:01 am

I like the looks of the leather collars but always go back to the nylon. I do not like the idea of wet leather and other "moisture" getting into the leather.

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:34 am

check out www.permatack.com

brandon

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:39 am

How long are the cherry ones lasting in reality? They look like the ones I get from Scott's and others for $6.00, so the $27.00 seems high. But, if they don't crack or fade and are good for 4 or 5 years then I'd say they're worth the money.

Personally I don't like leather only because it does stink after a while and it really stretches once it's gotten wet.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:57 am

Chaingang wrote:I use these and like them alot: http://www.gundogsupply.com/durasoft-orange.html

They are made by Mendota Products. Unlike the Polyurethane coated nylon collars, these are a softer more pliable material much like Permatack, and extremely durable.
These are what I use too. They have gone up in price though but they last so I can stand it.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:59 am

I personally think the Cherrybrook collars are worth the money. I've been using them for about a year now and they still look and feel brand new. No break-down whatsoever (except the pup got ahold of the end of hers and chewed it up...it's still holding up well though).
ImageImage
Woodland's Spirit of Big Oaks & Woodland's Money Pit

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:17 pm

http://www.houndhunter.com/cat_pagesJMY/collars.html

i found that link while looking for collars somehow. Pretty cheap prices. I haven't ordered yet, but will be soon. My leather collars are stretched and warn out. i am switching to nylon.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:14 pm

I also like the permatack, They are great people to deal with. I get my blood tracking leads from them as well.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com