The Buddy Stick

okchiefsfan

The Buddy Stick

Post by okchiefsfan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:35 am

I just read an article on the buddy stick, an 8 ft. piece of PVC with a brass snap on the end that can be used in whoa training and other areas of dog training. Just curious if anybody else uses a buddy stick in whoa training and how you like it compared to the whoa post, checkcord, or barrels.

Here is a link to the article http://www.outdoorscentral.com/artman/p ... e_11.shtml

Thanks, Phil

KY Grouse Hunter

Re: The Buddy Stick

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:41 am

I've used it on my last two pups and it seems to have done real nice.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:27 pm

Love it. And I have one I use in training if needed. I had one pup who was a little bit soft and you could'nt put much pressure on her. When teaching the 'Here' command, she was a handfull. Just went bezerk and fought and just took a fit. I let her and finally she realized that got her nowhere, and complied wonderfully TO WONERFULLY. She wouldnt leave your feet to put distance between the two of you. WELCOME TO BUDDYSTICK LAND PUP! Hook that baby up and now you have complete control. You can put her at distance and comand 'Here" let the pole slide thru your hand so pup can come to you. Works great. Also if pup tries to come and ball up at your feet you simply poke them with it and hold them at bay until they reserve themselves to comply. Comand 'Here' and your making progess in an otherwise frustrating situation.
THANK YOU GEORGE HICKOX! LOVE YOUR STUFF!
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:44 pm

Neat article... I wish I had seen it before I started some preliminary yard work with my pup... now she's away at the trainer, but I'm stashing that away for use later.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:19 pm

MTO4LIFE,
DId you log onto georgehickox.com and read or just my post?
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:57 pm

I like the post for dogs that are very energetic. It gives great control without feeling like you are man hanling the dog. Gonehuntin77 built me one 3 yrs ago and I have used it quite often. A great peice of equipment to have

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:01 am

It is always of interest where my stuff ends up, sure glad someone gained something from it.

I did not re-read the article, but it seems Buddy has come up with some new applications for the Buddy Stick that might be of interest. You can buy the stick and a video from Wilson Dunn or Lion Country. And you might want to go to a Buddy Smith Seminar if you hear of one.

And it is not just for pointing dogs, I train all my Boykins with one, as does Mike Gould with Labs (Mike developed his on his own and does not call it a Buddy Stick, but a Power Bar).

Side note, for better than 40 years a check cord was as much an extension of my hands as reins are to a cowboy. The other day I was helping a freind with his dogs at his place, no Buddy Stick so had to use a check cord, I was all thumbs and used it for a jump rope - at my age and weight, I don't jump well. It was not pretty, but it shows how often I use the Buddy Stick. Most of my old check cords have found service as ropes around the place.

Neil

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:41 am

prairiefirepointers wrote:MTO4LIFE,
DId you log onto georgehickox.com and read or just my post?
I just checked the link at th top of the thread... is there more at georgehickox.com that would be of use?

CRsetters

Post by CRsetters » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:31 am

I've used it on my last two dogs with good success and with the e collar along with it the dog will stop with just the word fairly soon in the training process. I have one at three foot also that is excellant for teaching heal also.

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:32 am

You guys really need to see the video, there are a lot of applications I did not cover in the article.

For example how to use it with the barrel.

Neil

smackerquacker

Post by smackerquacker » Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:11 pm

Where can I see the video?

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:24 pm

You can order it from Wilson Dunn at 888-456-5150,

Neil