Dove Hunting With GSP

SaboTheGreat

Dove Hunting With GSP

Post by SaboTheGreat » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:44 pm

I have a two year old GSP who still has several things to learn but overall I'm happy with her performance. I've never taken her dove hunting but since the season is coming up I wanted to see what everyone's thought were on the subject. Since I quail hunt with her and she has never touched a dove would it be bad to take her with me to work on fetching? What I'm thinking is that she may be confused about the shooting going on without her pointing a bird like she is use to. Let me know what you all think and if there is anything I should watch out for.

Thanks!

co1651

Re: Dove Hunting With GSP

Post by co1651 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:00 pm

I went the last two days and my 15mo gsp was awesome on sitting by my side and retrieving doves. in fact the first dove i shot went into some trees and she went to fetch it and locked up on point in the treeline near the bird, i had to insist that she go in and fetch it.

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:51 pm

I use my shorthairs as dove fetchers. I only use my older dogs that have a few quail/pheasant seasons under their belt. Remember shorthairs are a versitile dog. I take mine dove, duck, and goose hunting as well as upland bird hunting. Get them blind steady and let them watch the sky. They will know the differance of not pointing the bird and needing to fetch it.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:39 pm

I took my 2 1/2 year old female with me last weekend. Once she figured out we had to sit still and wait on the dove to fly by she was fine.