Which DVD?

rockllews

Which DVD?

Post by rockllews » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:17 am

Hi folks, I'd love to know which DVDs/training videos you'd recommend for starting a setter. What are your favorites?- Scott Miller's Training Your Pointing Dog, George Hickox's Training Pointing Dogs, Harold Adam's Compete Pointing Dog, Smith Puppy Development I & II, Silent Command, Bob West's Gun Dog Training, Wolter's Gun Dog, any of Dave Walker's', Perfect Start? Which one do you think provides the most information for developing a bird dog? I've got a list of books I'm buying but the videos would be good for the whole family. Thanks.

prairiefirepointers

Re: Which DVD?

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:58 pm

I have no basis for comparison against the others, but I would 'point' you towards George Hickox.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:40 pm

Hickox videos followed by his 4 day school if possible. Great stuff!!!!!

Nitrex

Nebraska

Post by Nebraska » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:37 pm

If you end up with the Hickox video and want to watch some others as well, just let me know and maybe we could do a temporary swap. I'd love to watch the Hickox video but I have zero $$ to spend on fun stuff right now. I have the Perfect Start/Finish series along with Smith Puppy Development I and II and their Silent Command System DVD....

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:58 pm

I'll be in touch Nebraska... swapping would interest me if we buy some. Isn't it crazy how much one training video costs!? More than anything else I'd like to see just how much information these pros can cram into 60-110 minutes of footage. Seems like an awful lot to cover... almost unrealistically so.

AT LEAST, though, none of them cost as much as the Parelli Natural Horsemanship series that I got suckered into. Didn't even finish the program. Figures. I've learned more from my instructor/mentor than I could have imagined had I just tried to do it on my own with some DVD.