any training when in season

luke0927

any training when in season

Post by luke0927 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:45 am

My female i starting to come in for her 2nd heat cycle she very swollen. If i have her on a CC and the other dogs up i could still work her...I have heard some say their dogs get stupid when when in season but she seems fine right now....would you do any work or just keep her up?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: any training when in season

Post by topher40 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:38 am

This is why I would rather have a male any day of the week! :roll: You can work her everyday she is in heat, it really depends on the dog. Keep a good eye on her and if she starts giving you trouble, more than normal, I would put her up. No sense is fighting her. Then start working here again after she comes out of heat. Good luck!
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:35 am

I have had much more trouble with my males keeping their "heads in the game" when one of the females is in heat..than with the female themselves.

I would plan on doing more conditioning work than anything elxe, first for safety's sake and second because the raging hormones won't affect that aspect of training. As mentioned above, and i agree competely, when doing birdwork, if the dog seems difficult or "just ain't right"... do a couple of heeling drills, praise her and put her up. It is better than fighting with the hormones because in the end you both will lose.

RayG

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:54 am

Mine has been in heat for about 2 weeks now and I have worked her no different than usual which has been a huge help because I would hate to lose three weeks of training right now. That said, it depends on the dog. I recommend working her by herself or with other females.

h20fwlkillr

Post by h20fwlkillr » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:25 am

I have had much more trouble with my males keeping their "heads in the game" when one of the females is in heat..than with the female themselves.
This has been my experience as well. I can usually work the females in heat, but gotta give up on most males if there is a bitch in heat around.
ImageImageImageImage

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:18 pm

I train plenty of dogs while in heat, matter of fact I think people send dogs here to come in heat!!! :) I have more issues a couple of weeks before they actualy come in on some goofy behavior, seems like after they are in it is not a problem.
brenda

phillipsgsp

Post by phillipsgsp » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:27 pm

I have worked my dogs while in heat and have had no problems with them at all. The males on the other hand turn into a handful. I have learned that when I have a dog in heat train all the males first then get the females out, The boys stay focused better if a girl has not been in the field first.

Chad
"GET THE POINT" http://www.phillipsgundogs.com Family and Shorthairs, it don't get any better than that!
Phillips' Tiptoe'n Tucker MH
Phillips' Lucy in Diguise SH