stop pointing sparrows

Firstdog

stop pointing sparrows

Post by Firstdog » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:25 am

How does my dog learn which dogs to point, and which one not to. I know i shouldn't shoot birds my dog hasn't pointed, but she is not learning that I only shoot birds she points because she is always pointing sparrows along with the quail. Will she learn this in time as i only shoot certain birds?

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: stop pointing sparrows

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:31 am

if she is a young dog ..she should figure it out

just ignore the dinky birds ...learn to read her when she has a real bird so when she is pointing a dinky bird you can ignore her and walk on
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

jetto

Post by jetto » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:36 am

Not sure how old your dog is but i just spent my lunch hour watching our 11 month old Irish Setter pup chase, point and stalk falling LEAVES...Yes falling leaves from the trees. Guess cause it's been so dry here they are going to start falling early this year and it's driving him BONKERS. Two weeks ago it was the monarch butterfly migration he was obsessed about. This week- LEAVES :roll:

Course it's driving the other dogs crazy cause he pounces, chases, stalks and they have no clue what the heck he thinks is in the yard. But they run and check it out when he gets excited!

And yes this is the same 11 month old that held so well last week in a derby stake allowing the handler to get in front of him and flush a quail. Young dog brains. What do ya do, lol...Kristi

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:59 am

my young pointer has it bad for grasshoppers :lol:
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:05 pm

My 10 year old is obsessed with lizards
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Firstdog

Post by Firstdog » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:13 pm

she's 18 months old, but this is her first hunting season. the people who had her before didn't hunt.

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:17 pm

She's just figuring out the game. When she points a sparrow just walk off and ignore her. Don't say anything. She will realize what your after. I had this problem with rabbits but the problem was she would chase them when they broke. She is old enough now that I was able to use the e-collar when she started chasing and I pretty well got her cured of any desire to hunt fur. It's the strangest thing to her. Every time she chases a rabbit and doesnt quit when I call her off she gets lit up. Im not suggesting you do this with your dog. You dont want wires to get crossed and her think all birds are bad. So just ignore her when she does.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:18 pm

I wouldn't worry about it
she is just needs experience

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:08 pm

my puppy will point butterflys all day long. He will hold point for minutes too if one lands. This is an off topic question but what would happen if my dog eats a live yellowjacket? He nips at anything flying near him and tries to eat it, most things he does eat but there have been multiple cases where I have had to pull him away from eating a bee or something that will sting his throat.

Firstdog

Post by Firstdog » Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:19 pm

my wife's dog does it all the time. She is still here.

jetto

Post by jetto » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:26 am

bee stings- we have several dogs that routinely get stung from chasing and catching bees and are fine...we also have one who has had to make 2 ER trips to the vets from being stung...the second time he swelled up so fast i couldn't get the second benedryl down his throat so that was scary...we keep benedryl on hand EVERYWHERE just in case...He has learned as he's gotten older that the bees are BAD for him so he leaves them alone- thankfully. But we're still always prepared. Kristi

High Roll-N-Angel

Post by High Roll-N-Angel » Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:45 am

We have a 16 month old that is obsessed with FROGS. :roll: