How old is too old to start training?

zoomaster23

How old is too old to start training?

Post by zoomaster23 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:12 pm

I have a 1 year old Brittany and up until now, has been a house dog. He hasn't had any bird training at all. I would really like for him to be able to hunt grouse with me and maybe some pheasants. Is it possible and where do I start?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: How old is too old to start training?

Post by topher40 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:20 pm

If they are dead they are to old............. :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

bobman

Post by bobman » Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:59 am

zoomaster23 wrote:I have a 1 year old Brittany and up until now, has been a house dog. He hasn't had any bird training at all. I would really like for him to be able to hunt grouse with me and maybe some pheasants. Is it possible and where do I start?
should be no problem just take him where birds are and he will figure it out, be careful about introing the gun wait until hes real birdy first, if you have abuddy with a dog that knows what the score is that will make the whole thing happen quicker
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:11 am

If the dog has had not bird exposure, other than meadowlarks and other yardbirds,there should be no problem at all starting the dog out just exactly as you would a 16 week old puppy.

Just make friends with the dog and bond with it first and you shold be good to go. Most Brittanys I have known were born to please, and to have fun, pretty much in that order.

RayG

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Post by AHGSP » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:09 am

topher40 wrote:If they are dead they are to old............. :lol:
What he said! I trained a 7 year old and 2- 5 year old Shorthairs that had NEVER seen birds or been outside of a 1/2 acre backyard to hunt 2 years ago and the dogs took right to it. I just treated them like a pups and introduced birds, gun, etc.... just the same as you would with a pup.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

cpepin

Post by cpepin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:51 pm

My GSP just turned 3 last month. Thanks to some suggestions here, I found someone to introduce my dog to birds last week. She took to it and found here first Phesant on Friday! Good day for us!

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:25 pm

Yep dead is to old! I find it amussing that so many people talk about the importance of developing "prey drive" in pups when they are young. What happens if you don't? At what age will the pup loose it's desire to hunt, aka prey drive? Don't happen!

I ask these questions because I'm not sure what would make someone even remotely think a one year old pup might be to old to train.

zoomaster23

Post by zoomaster23 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:57 pm

Thanks for all of the encouraging words about it not being too late.

The reason I ask is simply that ALL of the literature i've read up on training starts with a really young pup when they are developing and focusing their attention to birds. And I know the old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is bogus but would he still be as good if he started at 5 months old?

Keep in mind he is my first brittany and I have never trained a bird dog :?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:03 pm

[quote="zoomaster23"]is bogus but would he still be as good if he started at 5 months old?quote]

No it isnt as good, but it is still possible. Try your luck and see what you have to work with. :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:36 am

I got my dog when she was five, and she had never been hunted. She's turned out to be a pretty good dog. You have to be a little more patient and things take a little longer, as the dog can have a lot of bad habits to fix.

At one year old your dog is still a pup, so have no worries. I've read a few books where the authors didn't recommend starting anything but basic obedience and an introduciton to birds before one year.

jetto

Post by jetto » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:57 am

My avatar dog was 3-1/2 years old before any sort of formal field training. He had pointed a few pigeons and some mourning dove prior to going to the trainer and being put on quail. He'd never been loose in an unfenced area before that. He's a consistant placer in gun dog stakes amateur handled.

Was waiting til he was 3-1/2 ideal? Nope. Did it work anyhow. Yep. Kristi

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:08 am

Don wrote:Yep dead is to old! I find it amussing that so many people talk about the importance of developing "prey drive" in pups when they are young. What happens if you don't? At what age will the pup loose it's desire to hunt, aka prey drive? Don't happen!

I ask these questions because I'm not sure what would make someone even remotely think a one year old pup might be to old to train.

Well for one thing prey drive should be as great as possible before introing the gun, its also useful for retrieve training. I'm not really disagreeing with your comment (prey drive is as you said always there under the skin) but there is no question in my mind that it can be sharpend and doing so early is a good thing.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Lab_lover91s

Post by Lab_lover91s » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:16 pm

I have a one year old lab with no training at all (hunting or otherwise). Is it to late for me to start training my new dog? He is my first dog to train on my own as well so I am looking for some good advice, and I have been told by friends that this is the place to get it.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Lab_lover91s wrote:I have a one year old lab with no training at all (hunting or otherwise). Is it to late for me to start training my new dog? He is my first dog to train on my own as well so I am looking for some good advice, and I have been told by friends that this is the place to get it.
all of the above comments will just as easily apply to a lab as to any dog.
jIm
A limit on the strap is nice, but the kill has nothing to do with tradition.