re dog traning

kunfors

re dog traning

Post by kunfors » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:07 am

hello to every one in this forum ,i am from malta and would like a little help ,i have a liver brown gun dog ,a mixed breed but both parents are good gun dogs ,i used to train her to retreive a few months ago with a ball and a live quail and she used to bring them and let them in the palm of my hand ,toady i treid to lure her to retreive a quail but she didn't do it she just sniffed and didn't reteive it.she is 5 months old .MAYBE SHE WAS IN THE MOOD ? i need a little help please .

joshjurecek

Re: re dog traning

Post by joshjurecek » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:30 pm

Hey bud,
I dont think that having a mixed dog makes a difference. I have a friend that has a half lab half pitbull and she is a retrieving machine. Have you tried reading the book game dog? It talks about getting a dog to want to fetch a bird. In the book it says to tease the dog with the bird make her want to take it from you your hand and make a short toss. I have a lab that only gets exicted about live birds. Can you get a hold of a live bird? If so pin its feathers back and see how she reacts to it. Sorry i am not much help.

romeo212000

Re: re dog traning

Post by romeo212000 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:55 pm

She is just a baby right now. Everything should be fun retrieving. Don't over work her on it.