Colors & Water Retrieves

Bird Dog 67

Colors & Water Retrieves

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:44 am

I have a two parter that I'm interested in hearing other's experiences on:

#1 I recently bought a new hard rubber retrieving bumper, it's orange. My dog seems to have greater difficulty picking this bumper up by sight than others that I've used including white canvas, and Dokken dummies. Is this just due to color blindness and where orange falls in the color spectrum that it blends in with everything?

#2 I notice that on EVERY water retrieve that my Weim does, once he gets to the target and gets it in his mouth he turns to his right. I realize that this is just how he does it and doesn't indicate a problem, just wondering if anybody else has had a similar observation in their dogs.

Thanks for reading! Have a GREAT Fall day!

EddieF

Re: Colors & Water Retrieves

Post by EddieF » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:01 am

My dog isn't swimming yet, but that's an interesting question about the color blindness.

I have dummies that are half black, half white. And from fly fishing, it seems to make sense, as I've had strike indicators on the water that are visible in some light, then disappear in glare or shadow or whatever, depending on whether it's light or dark. Maybe that's why they make these half black/half white dummies, they might be easier for a dog to pick out in very different water/light conditions.

Also interesting about the right turns. It'll be interesting if others have observed similar patterns.

dlfl

Post by dlfl » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:45 pm

As far as the turning to the right it is like using your right hand if you are right handed.
Dіck

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Let's start by establishing that with retrievers, orange bumpers are used expressly for blind retrieves because the dog cannot see them--or see them as it would a white bumper. And since in throwing bumpers that are to be retrieved, you're asking a dog to mark, i.e., see a fall, that's all orange should be used for: put out as blinds. White bumpers should be thrown 99% of the time, white and black on occasion, and black when you've got a foggy or hazy backdrop.

And hard bumpers--as in solid plastic--are not a good idea. Inflatable bumpers, particularly DT Systems Soft Mouth Trainer, are what you want for developing good mouth habits.

MG

Bird Dog 67

Post by Bird Dog 67 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:33 pm

Thanks crackerd.

Wasn't aware of that. At this stage in the game I use the the retrieves more for excercise than training. I went with the rubber bumper due to durability and cost issues. Dusty has a very good mouth on his retireves I've not had any problems in that area. I appreciate the feedback!

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:52 pm

Just to add a little, we do a little demo at our NAVHDA seminars at the pool for the sportsmans shows. Just to support exactly what Crackerd mentioned we throw two bumpers out in the pool (blue water) one white one orange. The dogs always go for the white no matter what order thrown. We almost always use hand signals to get the dog to the orange bumper unless he winded it. If we place the two bumper out one of each then bring a dog in the dog always goes for the white. It seems to follow the same on green grass.

We just show folks this to help them understand.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

brotherbill3

Post by brotherbill3 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:20 pm

I find this very interesting; I had bought an orange bumper first and it is the first one I used when got serious into trying to train my golden retriever a bit over a month ago (he is older and I didn't hunt or have much time before when he was younger). At first just getting him to sit until told to get the bumper was tricky. after about 5 weeks, he's got that and I have a new white bumper ... we've been doing 'baseball' type training ... if I one bumer at a time he does very well. when i try to use both bumpers ... he almost always wants the 'original' orange bumper first ... not the white one; regardless of which one I try to direct him to get first ... so for a while we've gone back to mostly just one bumper at a time and mostly the white one, but when I try two ... he'll still go for the orange one first most of the time ...

other than the possibility of 'familiartity' ... this now seems totally contrary. Any Ideas? ... other than just giving him more time and continuing to work on this? (he has good and bad sessions).

I just thought of this too ... He does this with his toys too. He has a blue and a green ball that are softball size sqeeky balls. If you give him the choice or tell him 'get the big ball' ... he hunts for the blue one, and will often ignore the green one when he finds it first.

Thanks!

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:23 pm

All I own is orange bumpers and my dogs have always seen them. I know of several dogs who won't retrieve WHITE bumpers!
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

CherrystoneWeims

Post by CherrystoneWeims » Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:54 am

gpblitz wrote:
CherrystoneWeims wrote: I know of several dogs who won't retrieve WHITE bumpers!
I use many different sizes, shapes, colored bumpers. Dogs see them up close and at distance to. Dog not picking up WHITE BUMPERS is because the dog isn't FF or FF properly. Howie Hill
She was FF'd and it was done by a trainer who has dogs sent to him by pro handlers who have retrieving problems with their dogs.

This wasn't one of my dogs. I don't have problems with mine. Heck mine have too much retrieve drive sometimes!! I could throw anything and they will pick it up. I had one dog that I threw a $5 bill and she retrieved it so that I could take a picture of her coming back with it.
Pam
Cherrystone Weimaraners
Breeding for Conformation and Performance
NFC/FC Cherrystone La Reine De Pearl
CH Cherystone Perl of Sagenhaft MH,SDX,NRD,VX,BROM
CH Cherrystone Gone With the Wind JH

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:52 pm

I also think this is interesting. I own orange, white and black and white bumpers. I started with the orange ones on land and in the water for blind retrieves and hadn't noticed any problems. Maybe he just has a real good nose. I will try the demonstration you mentioned at the NAVHDA training day and see what my dog does.
Home of the truly versatile hunting companion www.vommountaincreek.com

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:54 am

I could be totally wrong on this but I have felt for years now that dogs are "wired in" at birth to quickly note white. Is it possible that because so many prey animals show white on their tails and/or soft undersides that dogs have had recognition of white bred into them for hundreds of generations ? For long before man got involved with them ?

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !