snips wrote:A month, IMO, is not enough to train the dog steady on birds.
I agree with Brenda 100%. When you send him back to the trainer, you need to send him for at least 2 months, preferably 3. Sending him to a summer camp in the Sandhills would be great experience for him. You need to work with your trainer as much as possible so you can see what he does and how he does it. You may end up doing some chores, but that is what it's all about. A lot of trainers will let you "practice" with their own dogs so you can get the experience of working with different dogs. Learning to read a dog's body language is 90% of training, the other 10% is going through the motions.
Every GSP that I have is from FT lines, and yes, they are all just as hyper as yours, but what I get in the field is well worth the trade off. IMO They start to chill after 4 or 5 years. You need to make him your buddy first and foremost. Let ride in the front seat of the truck with you. You'd be amazed how much that does for bonding. ie. getting him to listen to you.
Does your trainer train trial dogs or hunting dogs only? I can recomend some trainers that specialize in FT dogs, which is probably what your dog needs.
PM me, and we can discuss who you use and what you may need to change. (If anything) Just remember 1 1/2 years is still pretty young for a GSP that is wound as tight as yours.
What lines is he out of?