Busting birds

56-26

Busting birds

Post by 56-26 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:25 am

I am new to hunting with my own dog and it was years ago when I hunted with other dogs. I have a 1 yr old Vizsla that I had a buddy help my train. It seems like the pat two times that I been out with him he has busted more birds than pointed. My buddy has always told me that unless he points the bird don't shoot it. My question is he busting the bird or are the running on him and flushing and should I shoot them. When the birds flush they are never right in front of him, normaly 2o ft or so away in front of him. I can tell that he is birdy and trail something when they flush. So is it something the he is doing or is the bird just running and should I shoot. If its him should I go back to the basic and plant some bird with him on a check cord and try to steady him up. He hunted with 2 dogs about 3 weeks ago and the would bust bird and their owner would shoot them and I think that may have something to do with it. Thanks for any help.

Ditch__Parrot

Re: Busting birds

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:27 am

At 20ft I'd be inclined to guess that they are busting from the preasure he's putting on them. Wild birds are more jumpy than pen raised it will take a young dog awhile to figure out how much preassure he can put on them. But if you shoot anyway he'll figure it don't matter. Some wild birds will flush even if he works them perfect. Shooting those is up to you and has more to do with what your plans and expectaions are for your dog. IF you plan on trialing don't. While hunting wild birds a dog will pick up bad habbits and will likely have to be periodically steadied back up. Hunting with somebody with flushing dogs and a "if it fly's it dies" attitude they will pick up bad habbits very quick.

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:56 am

I've been hunting him at a preserve so he is on pen raised birds. I think that I will try to steady him up this weekend any other input or ideas? I have had a few tell me that I should just keep doing what I'm doing and that he is young still and will work it out.

dugger13

Post by dugger13 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:09 pm

see my thread from a week ago. Good tips in there

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/viewto ... 89&t=15158

Ditch__Parrot

Post by Ditch__Parrot » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:14 pm

Sounds like you have a pretty good handle on it steady him back up and don't shoot the one's he busts. Have you tried a remote launcher for steadying up his point?

Haha I was assuming they were wild birds because they were flushing under preassure.oops It sounds like your'e getting better flyers than some get.

56-26

Post by 56-26 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:55 am

Sorry I didnt see you new post until today. I have never tried a launcher, I was told by some one not to because the dog would try to find the launcher rather the bird. The bird are great flyers and i think the the dont stay put. Like I said I'm new to this training thing. I'm going to work with him over the weekend by planting birds one at a time and put him on a check cord. I dont know if he just doesnt smell the bird or just rushing in on them. When I was planting bird in the beganing he alway done well and found the birds. Now when I have the preserve plant the bird he dont find them all. I have had people tell me not to worry that he's still young and that it takes time. But I would think if you put out ten bird we would find ten bird. I have been using quail is there another bird you would use. The have pheasant and chuckars. Thanks

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:19 pm

If I was working this dog I would not hunt him with other dogs, take away the pressure to beat the other dogs to the bird and he will calm down IMO.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol