fire works and thunder

Casper

fire works and thunder

Post by Casper » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:31 pm

happy 4th everyone

Since this will be my pups first 4th I was wondering should he become a little uneasy with the sound of fire crackers going off should I just stay with him and try and keep him calm or just ignore him. He is conditioned to the gun but resently we had some thunder storms that made him a little scared. The storms didnt bother him last year but are now. Is this just something that dogs dont like because of the differant frequency of sound. I have not had a dog before that once conditioned to the gun was bothered by thunder or fire crackers.

Fire crakers are not legal in NV but people still get them and lite them off. Just want to prevent an episode before it happens

snip

Post by snip » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:20 am

I recommend that anyone with a potential birddog keep their pup in a quiet place far away from any fireworks. I don't suggest that they be shot at all by pup owners. Way too many pups made noise sensitive by irresponsible owners that think it won't bother THEIR dog. Better safe than sorry. Everybody have a safe and Happy 4th!!! :)

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:04 am

Here in the Utah papers, there is an article about how the Humane Society gets 300 dogs just over the fourth weekend. All the noise and the dogs run.

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 12:59 pm

Ya smae here. I got Baley trained now. She is curious about fire works. I took her awy from them but so she can still here them. Every time one went off and she noticed it I would give her a treat. Now the fireworks are shot off a mile from my house and I can let her out on my front lawn to watch them and she doesnt go no where.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:14 pm

I have had plenty of dogs that are afraid of thunder and fireworks that are not gun shy one bit. One I have now will shiver under the covers during a T boomer storm....and hunt all day! Go figure!

But yes...I would keep the pups indoors if there are a lot of fireworks going off nearby. I wouldnt console them if they come runnign for help though. Keep the TV on inside and dont make a big deal about it.

Phil
REO

birdshot

Post by birdshot » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:39 pm

I have always had good luck playing fetch with my dogs, during the fourth of july celebrations. In Nebraska fireworks are not only legal but I think there is a fine if you don't light fireworks off on the fourth. I do the same thing during summer storms. The dogs are not bothered by the noise because they are having fun during these events.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:43 pm

Phil, I have had the same experience with many dogs. Has always amazed me and I still don't understand it. I have wondered if the thunder causes ibrations that bother them but I admit I dont have a clue. But am convinced there is no corralation at all between scared of thunder and gun shy.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

pear

Post by pear » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:17 pm

I have one here I can't explain, maybe someone else can. We get a good thunder storm here and my male gets nervous, if the storm doesn't produce to much rain to be able to get outside, I can take him out and he's fine outside. We have a small porch here that if it's not blowing, he'll set outside and watch the storm with me like it's a sporting event..................."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey