Whistle training standards??

EddieF

Whistle training standards??

Post by EddieF » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:58 pm

So I ordered a whistle because we have a big fenced in yard (1 acre) and I want to start to work on recall some more. My pup is 16 weeks by the way.

What I want to do is combine the command 'Here' with the whistle, and my understanding is by doing this, eventually, I'll be able to use one or the other and get the same result. Am I off base yet?

If not, my question is, if down the road I want to use other whistle commands in the field, is there a standard whistle used for 'Here' and for other commands? One long blast, two short, whatever? I actually don't mind if the sound of the whistle always means 'Here' and that's all it ever means, that would be fine, but I can't really find much online about training for this.

Thanks in advance.

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Re: Whistle training standards??

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:46 pm

You can use different whistle for differet things. I like the pealess whistle (don't freeze up as easy.) I use one long blast for here, one short hard quick blast for stop or whoa, two short quick blast for come around or change direction.

The earlier you teach your commands the easier in the future. When whoa training on leash, you can do the walk and heel thing and incooperate the whistle. For come around when on check cord and you want to change direction. Go the other way just before the dog hits the end of the check cord, two toots & or comearoud command. When teaching come one long blast, have the dog sit, back up facing the puppy whistle then say come eventually you will be able to drop the verbal.

There are other ways to do this but it is what I do.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:17 pm

Ruffshooter wrote:You can use different whistle for differet things. I like the pealess whistle (don't freeze up as easy.) I use one long blast for here, one short hard quick blast for stop or whoa, two short quick blast for come around or change direction.

The earlier you teach your commands the easier in the future. When whoa training on leash, you can do the walk and heel thing and incooperate the whistle. For come around when on check cord and you want to change direction. Go the other way just before the dog hits the end of the check cord, two toots & or comearoud command. When teaching come one long blast, have the dog sit, back up facing the puppy whistle then say come eventually you will be able to drop the verbal.

There are other ways to do this but it is what I do.
Excellent, thanks. I printed out your post.

This is the whistle I ordered: http://www.gundogsupply.com/ac210123lonw.html

If you are bored later and feel like getting into more detail with the whoa training on leash/walk/heel/incorporate whistle thing, I would be interested in more on that...

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:09 pm

I agree. Excellent post.

When it comes to using the whistle, everyone is different. Do what suits you.

The only time a common whistle routine whould be followed, is if you plan to trial your dog. Not whistle training your dog can put him at a disadvantage when other whistles start going off and he's not used to it. ( Although I know some excellent handlers who never use a whistle.) If you want a big running dog, lay off the whistle.

I use it only, when the dog is m.i.a. , using one long , loud blast which means, " You'd better get your bum in here now !!" :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:08 pm

Everyone is a little different. With me, three blasts mean HERE, two blasts mean NO or CHANGE OF DIRECTION, one blast means WHOA or sit, depending on the dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:24 pm

Whistle means GO!

That's it for mine. :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:06 pm

This is what i was talking about Eddie.
If you trial your dog, whistle means GO!!
If you've used the whistle to mean come in, and you're at the the line at a trial, and your bracemate blows his whistle, you're in trouble. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:14 pm

Sharon wrote:This is what i was talking about Eddie.
If you trial your dog, whistle means GO!!
If you've used the whistle to mean come in, and you're at the the line at a trial, and your bracemate blows his whistle, you're in trouble. :)
I see the problem there! :D

But I'm not going to trial. I just want to have a companion hunter and a dog I can get from the back of the back yard to the house without screaming my head off!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 pm

Then use the whistle as suits you.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:36 pm

I just want to have a companion hunter and a dog I can get from the back of the back yard to the house without screaming my head off!
Silly boy.... :lol:

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:05 am

Why would you use a whistle at the Break away line? Are the dogs deaf? :wink:
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

kumate

Post by kumate » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:09 am

I am not a bird hunter, but started using a pealess whistle for here, and with my pup i use here and then the whistle . When using the whistle i have nevr had him not come, where as just my voice dosent always have the same effect yet. I only use the whistle once or twice a day and have called him from maybe 40- 50 yards out of a pack of mutts at the dog park. IMHO If you are like me and just want a reliable recall with the whistle dont over do it and for a while have a good treat and really make a fuss when he responds.

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:14 am

kumate wrote:I am not a bird hunter, but started using a pealess whistle for here, and with my pup i use here and then the whistle . When using the whistle i have nevr had him not come, where as just my voice dosent always have the same effect yet. I only use the whistle once or twice a day and have called him from maybe 40- 50 yards out of a pack of mutts at the dog park. IMHO If you are like me and just want a reliable recall with the whistle dont over do it and for a while have a good treat and really make a fuss when he responds.
So you use 'here' all the time, but some of the time you add the whistle with the command? Do you do the whistle before or after the command? And one more question, at the dog park do you just use the whistle by itself or whenever you use the whistle do you also add the command? Thanks!

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:10 am

put the dog on a long check cord use this sequence whistle -"here"- Pull him in.

Eventually he will anticipate the verbal "here" and then its no longer needed in the sequence, the whistle will become interchangeable with the verbal command in his mind. Continue to use the verbal also mix them up in training so he learns both. There will be times you will not have the whistle on you.

Personally I use 3 "toots" for here and one "toot" to turn him, I do that because if hes getting distracted with something I can continue to hack at him with the whistle and he will recognize the multiple "Toots" as a "here" command.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

EddieF

Post by EddieF » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:17 am

bobman wrote:put the dog on a long check cord use this sequence whistle -"here"- Pull him in.

Eventually he will anticipate the verbal "here" and then its no longer needed in the sequence, the whistle will become interchangeable with the verbal command in his mind. Continue to use the verbal also mix them up in training so he learns both. There will be times you will not have the whistle on you.

Personally I use 3 "toots" for here and one "toot" to turn him, I do that because if hes getting distracted with something I can continue to hack at him with the whistle and he will recognize the multiple "Toots" as a "here" command.
Cool, thanks very much. This sounds great. The whistle shipped a few days ago, I'd be surprised if it doesn't arrive today. I can get started this weekend.

kumate

Post by kumate » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:44 am

You can use the protocall bobman stated, i was lucky in that i never used a longline/checkcord just name, here/ tweet tweet tweet. The goal would be using the verbal cue or the whistle to mean the same thing. If he is initialy blowing you off with the whistle the ckeckcord will asure compliance i just never had to as i use the whistle sparingly and always set him up for success. A little drill i have done since day one is dixiecup drills http://www.ponderosakennels.com/videoclips.htm Pat is not a bird dog trainer per se, but you can apply some of his stuff and his clips are free. With the dixie cup drills the minute he gets the treat off of the cup i would call his name say here and tweet tweet tweet with the whistle, once he gets the hang of it intermitently omit the whistle every once in awhile. Start out close then add distance. At 12 weeks he was doing about 20-25 yards now he gets the treat grabs the cup and brings it back and i will have him sit for another treat, give it a try it is fun and motivational.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:30 pm

Holy Tweeters!!

For all of you whistle nuts that don't trial, do you ever hunt with another whistle nut that has a completely different set of whistle commands? :lol:

I would love watch that fiasco....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zzweims

Post by zzweims » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:01 pm

Yawallac wrote:Holy Tweeters!!

For all of you whistle nuts that don't trial, do you ever hunt with another whistle nut that has a completely different set of whistle commands? :lol:

I would love watch that fiasco....... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I had a front row seat on Saturday. I was asked to run a bye dog in SH, and figured I'd practise for an up-coming trial. I was happily tooting along to push my dog farther out, but each time I did, my bracemate's dog tightened up. Eventually, his dog came right up to me and I turned to my bracemate and said, "Let me guess, you taught your dog to 'come' to the whistle?" Since it was his dime, I immediately put my tweeter away, but the damage was done. :oops:

I don't use a whistle when I hunt and I won't hunt with someone who does. "bleep" annoying.

Aline
http://sitekreator.com/zzfarms
Georgia Quail Hunting--"Our farm, your dog"

lucas85

Post by lucas85 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:58 am

Some useful tips from me

The method of positive reinforcement is to give a food treat when the dog returns. Once you begin to move to solely using the whistle you might experience some problems. If this occurs then you will want to watch carefully and provide a treat when the dog returns directly to you. If the dog strays, then you will not provide a treat.

Some trainers choose to use negative reinforcement. This can include putting an electronic collar on the dog. This allows the trainer to give a jolt to the dog if the animal strays on the return. Consider the example of a dog who has retrieved a decoy and is coming back following the whistle command. If the dog strays and begins to wander then a subtle jolt from an electrical collar at the exact moment the animal strays will convey the desired information.

Hope that helped

Lucas