Utah training day.

12 Volt Man

Utah training day.

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:58 am

A few of us from this forum got together yesterday for some training. TAK, Myself, Addict, and Richard*UT*. I am not sure if the other guys are members of this forum and what their names are on here, so if I left you out, I am sorry.

There were at least 8 Shorthairs, 2 Pointers, 3 Drathaars, and a Gordon setter.

We had some fun in the water with many fantastic water retrieves. Sometimes we had 5 or 6 dogs out chasing bumpers in the lake. The dogs loved it. It was hot. Almost 100 degrees.

We worked the dogs on pigeons. Got some pups excited about birds. It was a great day. I took some pictures. I'll try and post them soon.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:37 am

Wow, I forgot the best/worst part. TAK's dog's Nikki and Clown tangled with a skunk and got sprayed. Luckily it was near the end of the day.
And even more lucky for TAK is the fact that he had a trailer for his dogs. If that happened to my dogs, I would have smelled the skunk all the way home because they rode in the back of my Suburban.

Addict

Post by Addict » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:40 am

Good times!

I was glad to meet everyone and had a great time. Learned some training stuff and I loved watching the dogs work. Someone mentioned trying to do this monthly. That would be awesome.

Tope and Mark also made it out.

Mark has some dang nice wirehair pups. I wish I had room for another pup in the kennel! I think that's how alot of people there felt about his dogs. Very birdy!

TAK thanks for making such a long trip out. Got skunk? :P sorry couldn't resist. :lol:

Addict

MNGSP

Post by MNGSP » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:47 am

Sounds like a fun time and a very educational one as well.

I wish we could do something like that up here in MN or west WI. Would be great to meet some fellow members and get some tips for my new pup!

Jon

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:38 pm

I'm sorry I missed it, #@&% work !
I just got my new dog last wednesday and we need to get out every chance we get.
He is a full brother to the one I lost a while back and I think he is going to be a good one!

TAK
I have been there myself.
When I was in high school (awhile ago) I had a dog point a very big clump of brush. I charged in there to kick out the pheasant and put my boot right in the wrong end of a skunk. My mom made me sleep outside and I had to sit out in the hall during each one of my classes for almost a week. They just kept the door open so I could hear.
By the way tomatoe juice doesn't work all that good. :D

TAK

Post by TAK » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:32 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:I'm sorry I missed it, #@&% work !
I just got my new dog last wednesday and we need to get out every chance we get.
He is a full brother to the one I lost a while back and I think he is going to be a good one!

TAK
When I was in high school (awhile ago) I had a dog point a very big clump of brush. I charged in there to kick out the pheasant and put my boot right in the wrong end of a skunk. My mom made me sleep outside and I had to sit out in the hall during each one of my classes for almost a week. They just kept the door open so I could hear.
That is funny!!!!! Tell you the truth I think the dogs like the smell! Clown still is wearing his training e collar Bling Bling! It took a full hit! I am just glad that it was not a porkypine!
Last edited by TAK on Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAK

Post by TAK » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:43 pm

12 Volt Man wrote:Wow, I forgot the best/worst part. TAK's dog's Nikki and Clown tangled with a skunk and got sprayed. Luckily it was near the end of the day.
And even more lucky for TAK is the fact that he had a trailer for his dogs. If that happened to my dogs, I would have smelled the skunk all the way home because they rode in the back of my Suburban.
That was not the bad part! What was bad was the allergies! Man I look like I went a round or two with Mike Tyson today! That grass got to me! My nose runs like a water faucet too!
Also I think it will get better as we get some of the bird homing. It was hard in the grass to card the birds and make it realistic. You may not have seen it but I think you did! Cowboy on the last bird he worked held it and watched it fly away! Rob, Cowboys there! A couple more weeks and he will be CC free and the work will pay off!

The next time we need to try it out here.... I think I have enough birds for all of us too! Between buying the rest of Addicts birds and getting some from a friend out here I have 29 birds!!!!! Also I have two new babys this AM.

What you did not mention I brought out a white Bird!

TAK

Post by TAK » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:45 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:I'm sorry I missed it, #@&% work !

TAK
Steve, I am going to be out training around here this weekend if you want to come out.....

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:56 pm

TAK wrote:What was bad was the allergies! Man I look like I went a round or two with Mike Tyson today! That grass got to me! My nose runs like a water faucet too!
Ask your doctor about Nasonex or Flonase. Relatively inexpensive and danged effective.

Best,

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:14 pm

TAK
What day?
I would like to come on out but you might end up doing more teaching then training!

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:26 pm

That was a blast :!: . I left Cash home cause he was wrestling with a Great Dane pup for most of the day and My wife and kids wanted him to stay home. I loved just watching the bird work, the dogs having fun and just talking about training. Good group of guys there. Tom sorry I forgot the papers :oops: I am not sure where my brain has been lately :clown: . I realy enjoyed myself even with only 4 hours of sleep :sleepy1: . I am sorry I had to leave before the skunk. :lol: Too funny. I can't wait to do it again. Thanks again all of you. :wav:

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:33 pm

Water fun. We moved on to a much larger pond later, but the dogs sure liked this place.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:37 pm

This is TOPE's pup "Paco" . This is the only puppy work picture I took. Sorry guys, I wish I had taken some more.

Oh yeah, and TAK provided the white pigeon. They are his favorite :) Also.......Don't make fun of Paco's ear, he is sensitive about it :wink:

TAK demonstrates with "Speed" how to Git-er-done.

Last edited by 12 Volt Man on Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:40 pm

This one is Jesse. One of Tak's dogs.

Ok, now my favorites :) Cooper on a pigeon.

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:23 pm

Thanks for sharing the photos 12 volt, looks like a fun time. I've got the puppy swimming like crazy already. My 3 yr old Weim still only gets in the water but doesn't want to lose her footing. Now that I know I got at least one swimmer I'm not going to push the Weim. I figure sooner or later she will catch on and want to join the other. The times I have carried her in she does seem to be swimming back to shore instead of her old panic swim. But, for whatever reason she still is not that interested in it.

The puppy on the other hand is a natural.....

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:25 pm

That is a great photo!

TOPE

Post by TOPE » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:23 pm

What a fun day! It was nice to meet some new people and see the older dogs work. I would like to thank Tom for coming down, and all who brought birds. Great pics Rob. Lets get together again.

RuttCrazed

Post by RuttCrazed » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:31 am

Looks like I missed a good time. TAK, too bad I wasn't able to make it, I'm sure my dog would have been right in the middle of that skunk fight.

Rut

pear

Post by pear » Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:46 pm

TAK you need to take 12Volt off to the side and tell him something is wrong with his dog............I think they forgot to dock the tail...LOL :shock: .........................."pear"
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

TAK

Post by TAK » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:27 pm

Pear, Believe you me 12 Volt gets a ear full every time he is around me!!!!

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Tue Jul 12, 2005 4:29 pm

Outstanding pics. Thanks 12 volt for some great screen savers. Most of all for the pic of jesse. :thumbup:

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:57 am

pear wrote:TAK you need to take 12Volt off to the side and tell him something is wrong with his dog............I think they forgot to dock the tail...LOL :shock: .........................."pear"

You guys are worse than drug dealers. :D "Come on, try a shorthair, everybody's doing it". "All the cool kids have a shorthair". Get a shorthair, it will make you feel good." LOL

Don't worry pear, as TAK and I have discussed before, you guys probably have as much Pointer in your Shortairs as I do Greyhound in my Pointers :P Maybe you guys should have left those tails long.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:47 am

Uhmmmm....Well, some of us do... :shock:
brenda

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:51 am

those dogs look like they are having a blast. I wonder who has the most fun? the dogs get my vote.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1103
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=5210
"If there are no dogs in Heaven,
then when I die I want to go
where they went."
Will Rogers, 1897-1935

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:24 pm

Good one 12VM but you got it all wrong.
We are trying to do an intervention !
We only want the best for you :D

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:34 pm

12 Volt Man wrote:
pear wrote:TAK you need to take 12Volt off to the side and tell him something is wrong with his dog............I think they forgot to dock the tail...LOL :shock: .........................."pear"

You guys are worse than drug dealers. :D "Come on, try a shorthair, everybody's doing it". "All the cool kids have a shorthair". Get a shorthair, it will make you feel good." LOL

Don't worry pear, as TAK and I have discussed before, you guys probably have as much Pointer in your Shortairs as I do Greyhound in my Pointers :P Maybe you guys should have left those tails long.
LOL! :lol:

Addict

Post by Addict » Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:07 pm

12volt,
You guys are worse than drug dealers. "Come on, try a shorthair, everybody's doing it". "All the cool kids have a shorthair". Get a shorthair, it will make you feel good." LOL
The first step is admitting you have a problem.....

Addict

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:08 pm

Just thought sense I could not bring Cash along, I would post a pic so you all could see how he is coming along. Soon he will be a hunting machine. :whdat:

I hope you can all see it.

On the advice of some great trainers here I have just been walking him here in the Uintas. He loves it and he seems to be getting faster and bolder. Thanks again for the advice. He will be taring into a chucker soon. I will let you know how it goes, and try to post some pics. :D

crittercontrol

Post by crittercontrol » Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:41 pm

What a riot! It was nice meeting with everyone. Whew...It was a hot one though. Great pics BTW.

Boy do I have some things to work on....

Always,

Caleb Stroh

Addict

Post by Addict » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:39 pm

Richard UT,

That's a nice picture of Cash.

Crittercontrol,
Welcome to the forum. It was great meeting you on sunday.

Hopefully we all can meet up again for some more training soon!

Addict

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Sun May 21, 2006 9:43 pm

Sorry to resurrect such an old post but I thought I would bring this back up to remind us Utah guys how much fun this was and that I would love to do it again. What do you all say? Maybe a group video swap with lunch and training. I will make the Philly steak sandwiches. :wav:
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

Addict

Post by Addict » Sun May 21, 2006 10:47 pm

Sounds like fun. I guess now I'll have to buy a video for the swap.

I do know that the Wasatch Nahvda chapter is having training sessions every thursday. I'm hoping to make this weeks event.

Addict

gdog

Post by gdog » Mon May 22, 2006 2:02 pm

Addict,

Where are these training sessions and can anyone tag along? My Pudelpointer is getting close to 4months old and need to start getting a little more serious with her training.

Thanks!

Addict

Post by Addict » Mon May 22, 2006 3:07 pm

I think anyone can tag along but not sure. I know that the club fee is $30 or $35 a year if you plan on running in nahvda. This gives you a newsletter every month or two.

They are usually held at willard bay or ogden bay in the dog training areas. I can't remember if they alternate locations or not.

Another guy that needs to chime in is Donnerhund :) he's a great guy and usually knows whats going on in the club.

I havn't made it yet to one of these training sessions due to time conflicts. This thursday looks like a good bet for me. From what I have been told is that they are pretty good and some knowledgable dog training folk show up. I'm looking forward to picking some minds for training information. I am not sure but the training sessions might stop after the june 10-11th test. All these meetings might just be for test preperation.

I know that on one of the training sessions held last year that was just a bunch of guys showing up turned out really well. We had pigeons and recieved help with getting our pups started right and some work for the older dogs. There where several guys that showed up that bought pups from Tak as well as Richard UT, crittercontrol, 12volt, Donnerhund, and some others. Made some great friends and have been able to go out hunting with several of these guys.

Anyone that needs Nahvda contact info I would be glad to forward you some information. I will find out for sure what the training time and location will be this thursday.

Addict

Virgil

Post by Virgil » Tue May 23, 2006 2:31 pm

Richard *UT* wrote:Sorry to resurrect such an old post but I thought I would bring this back up to remind us Utah guys how much fun this was and that I would love to do it again. What do you all say? Maybe a group video swap with lunch and training. I will make the Philly steak sandwiches. :wav:
I'm really glad you did "resurrect such an old post"
I've only been a member on this site a few months now, so I missed this the first time.
I am about 2 weeks from getting my pup now, so I would love to tag along if this happens again.

Those pictures will have me smiling the rest of the day I think.
Seeing a full pack of dogs all playing in the water like that.

As if I wasn't excited enough about getting my dog, knowing I could have people out there to take my dog and play makes me want it that much sooner.

You can count me in for sure if you do something like this again.
I'm working on getting me a good flock of pigeons going, so maybe I can bring some along.