bird intro GSP

Thump68

bird intro GSP

Post by Thump68 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:46 pm

hello gentlemen, i have a 8mo female GSP that i am about to introduce to birds, was wondering any input on what kind i should get first? thinking a type of pigeon but dont know what breed, . thanks in advance mike

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Re: bird intro GSP

Post by PntrRookie » Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:12 pm

Ones that fly...

Seriously, I have not heard of certain "types" of pigeons to use, but you are on the right track in using pigeons. They leave a lot of scent and they should be good flyers. Where are you from? Might be best to find a group of amateur/pro trainers in your area and feed of their knowledge. Lots of NAVHDA local clubs out there. http://www.navhda.org/

4dabirds

Post by 4dabirds » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:14 pm

Thump68

Post by Thump68 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:18 pm

thanks alot guys yeh was looking at the lockwings, gonna get them this week will post how i made out thanks again !! :mrgreen:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:54 pm

Remember though that your dog will probably kill the bird fairly quickly since the bird's wings are locked up high and gives the bird absolutely no protection throuh the soft tender rib area where the lungs are right under the skin. I have much better results with the wings tied down but have to admit I don't even do that much.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:21 pm

I never lock a birds wings or tie them down. I prefer pups to learn right from the start that if they approach a bird too closely it will fly away.

Bill T.
The older I get, the better I was !

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:22 am

Trekmoor wrote:I never lock a birds wings or tie them down. I prefer pups to learn right from the start that if they approach a bird too closely it will fly away.

Bill T.
x2
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Onk

Post by Onk » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:51 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMgmxXPvjw

Barn pigeons seem to work fine for me. I kind of do the same as in this video, hope it helps!
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/genview.php?id=3600

"I think we are drawn to dogs because they are the uninhibited creatures we might be if we weren't certain we knew better." -George Bird Evans " Troubles with Bird Dogs"

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:08 pm

+1 The only bird I want them to catch is the one I shoot.
Trekmoor wrote:I never lock a birds wings or tie them down. I prefer pups to learn right from the start that if they approach a bird too closely it will fly away.

Bill T.
Kresha's Gator of Troy
TK'S OILDALE RUNNER
Get Your Free Pedigree Today!

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:48 am

Don't lock wings and use feral pigeons. Ferals will leave the ground much quicker than homer's. Leaarn to dizzy the birds. Do that and it'll give you ten min or so to get the dog and get back to it, sometimes longer.

If your letting her happy time now where there are birds, even "bleep" birds, the introduction is probably already done. If you'd like to check on that, use a feral. Pull the flight feather's on both wings or wrap the bird's wings to it's body, rubber bands work well. Then take a pipe cleaner and wrap them on the bitds legs just above the feet. Leave enough room between the feet that the bird can walk a bit. The walk will be eratic and jerky, don't worry about it. Throw the bird on the ground for your dog. If it's been getting into even "bleep" birds when happy timing, it'll take the pigeon out. That happen's don't do it again. Go to planting birds for her, light cover first then move to heavier cover. In light cover she might be able to see the bird, don't worry about it. She'll probably wind it first and them the bird being seen will pull her in. Have her on a check cord and don't let her get to the bird.

If you have remote launcher's your way ahead. Soon as she makes scent, pop the bird. Doesn't matter she doesn't point it, three or four like that and she'll point faster than you can pop the bird. Don't talk to her at all.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

Thump68

Post by Thump68 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:37 pm

thanks for all the advice. its alot of fun training the dog. gonna try an video tape her in action thanks again