On check cord, good, off bad

blackjeephunter

On check cord, good, off bad

Post by blackjeephunter » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:26 pm

My Brit pup has a problem that I would equate to a teenager. On a check cord, she will come every time she is called, take the cord off and she looks over her shoulder and sticks the proverbial bird to me and roams off. Suggestions. 6 month female Britt, no e-collar just yard training at this point.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: On check cord, good, off bad

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:44 pm

My suggestion -

If the dog does not come when called, turn on your heel and walk away. Say nothing...just walk away. Continue to walk away and if the dog does not come back in the yard, just leave it and continue on about your business. Ignore the dog the same way it ignored you. If you are in the field, walk away and if it doesn't come running back, just slip off and hide, waiting quietly.

RayG

A/C Guy

Post by A/C Guy » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:17 pm

I disagree with that advice. My first female brit taught me that they can and will copy that behavior (ignoring you and going the other way). My current female, 15 months old, does what yours does and she is e-collar smart. What works for us is to immediately put on the collar or check cord at the first sign of disobedience, even a slow response to a command (she is testing the limits when she responds slowly). You have a smart dog that knows the limits of your reach. I'm sure that she will be e-collar smart as well. Just be firm, consistent, and patient. She will take longer to train, but the smart ones learn to do a lot more, if you are patient.
"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." John Quincy Adams.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:53 pm

A/C Guy wrote:I disagree with that advice. My first female brit taught me that they can and will copy that behavior (ignoring you and going the other way). My current female, 15 months old, does what yours does and she is e-collar smart. What works for us is to immediately put on the collar or check cord at the first sign of disobedience, even a slow response to a command (she is testing the limits when she responds slowly). You have a smart dog that knows the limits of your reach. I'm sure that she will be e-collar smart as well. Just be firm, consistent, and patient. She will take longer to train, but the smart ones learn to do a lot more, if you are patient.

Your dog maybe collar wise because you waited for disobedience to put the collar and check cord on.

A good rule of thumb is to never give a command you cannot enforce.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:02 pm

I would not recommend e-collar disciplining on a six month old shorthair or pointer. Certainly not on a six month old Brit.

RayG

blackjeephunter

Post by blackjeephunter » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:57 am

per your earlier guidance I am not putting her on a E-Collar yet. I will just keep the check cord on her and get a longer one. It is frustrating though.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:52 am

Remember that dog training is an all-the-time-thing, not a part time thing. When you're in the house and call the pup, it should come and not ignore you. There are no safe havens for a hunting dog. Whenever you command them, wherever they are, they should comply.

I think that is a huge mistake people make; they reinforce in the training yard but not in the house or yard. Reinforce on a consistant basis, give no command you can't enforce, never allow a refusal, and keep the pup on a cc. The problem will resolve itself.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:31 am

You are so right about this.

Not to brag but :wink: ..... Since my dog could walk as a pup , I would say "come" whenever pup was coming towards me. She learned the word quickly . Ever after , if I said come and she hesitated I got off the couch and brought her - EVERY time. She is 3 years old this month and has NEVER not come in the field , when called. Not because of an e-collar but because of early puppy training.
When people say, "What can I do at this puppy age?" , I want to say " that age is when the foundation is set for all future training. Those are vital months when you think nothing "important" is happening."
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:30 pm

I never use an e-collar for recall. To dicey when you try to use it for 97% of the rest of your training you run the risk of a dog recalling when you want it to whoa, turn, etc. simply change direction on the dog and get them going with me. The majority of times people have problems with recall is there's been to much correction after the dog has complied, i.e. come to me and get scolded for not coming to me syndrome.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:30 pm

At six months, my dogs were all still dragging the check cord in the field, no knot in the end. I'd turn them loose and they'd have at it. They always, sooner or later, came near enough to me I could get to the cord, even to step on it, and call them in. I'd get ahold of them and love'em up then let them go again.

ACooper wrote: "A good rule of thumb is to never give a command you cannot enforce".

And there is the best advice you got!
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!