setting out pen birds for "hunt"

luke0927

setting out pen birds for "hunt"

Post by luke0927 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:28 pm

Well i have found some land besides my property that i can plant birds and run my dogs....what i was wonder when your wanting to realease birds to hunt do you normally go out and dizzy them and place them where you want them or do you release a few here release a few there etc...then go back in a little while and run the dogs?

mudhunter

Re: setting out pen birds for "hunt"

Post by mudhunter » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:50 pm

depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to really hunt the birds and don't mind possibly not finding all then just let them go randomly around the propery. This is what I have done before but we don't find all the birds typically but thats more realistic anyway. If I'm training I plant the birds so I know they will be where I want them.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:17 pm

exactly
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:27 pm

I have to piggy back here, as I'm about to purchase birds and try it out.
I read that dizzying the birds can be great if you're on the CC, but not so good off the CC, allowing the dog to jump in on a lazy bird. Has anyone found tucking the head under the wing helpful/useful?

Also, I don't know about you guys in other states, but I looked into it around Oregon, and apparently there's a bunch of regulations and you have to have a permit. I've never heard of any other guys out here worrying about it. WTH?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:43 pm

I don't know what it would entail for you to get a permit? Here in Iowa, you're suppose :oops: to use leg bands on public. The DNR supplies them for like .10 each. As far as a permit, that might be pretty simple. Since I just used my last quail, I think I tossed my paperwork. But the gamebird breeder I got my birds from gave me at the time of sale, a written DNR form that had the date, type of bird, how many, my address, and the sellers address on it. I believe that was a permit and might be similar to what your referencing. We just handwrote it at the time of sale and it didn't cost anything extra on my part. I stowed it away in my dog training bag for whenever we went out.

As far as planting birds, I agree with mudhunter. Denise

Brushbustin Sporting Dogs

Post by Brushbustin Sporting Dogs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:58 pm

First off Luke I would just let them loose depending on the size of the field then go back get the dog and go get them. Just if you let the birds fly to where ever they please just give them some time to "smell" again . They should flush better if you don't dizzy/sleep them.

Second as for permits here in my state you can have 6 birds for training each dog and can only have those for 30 days. Anything after that you need a wildlife permit to have birds.

Rob
Robert Myers

Rajin Kennel

308-870-3448

Brittanys are Best enough said...

BBD's Ca-Ching
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1061

Brushbustin's Ebbie SH
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=678

BNJ's Dirty Dozen Dixie
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=869

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:05 pm

mudhunter wrote:depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to really hunt the birds and don't mind possibly not finding all then just let them go randomly around the propery. This is what I have done before but we don't find all the birds typically but thats more realistic anyway. If I'm training I plant the birds so I know they will be where I want them.
Can't say it any better than that.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

luke0927

Post by luke0927 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:26 am

thanks im going to go check out the area today...basically its just fescure filed but the edges are planted in milo then clear cut on one side im afraid if i drop the birds the will just fly to the clear cut im going to go release some today and well see how what they do...also this is public land an your only supposed to release birds on public training area's and keep receipt of the birds...where im going is not a training area but oh well you got to do what you got to do...the limit is 12 birds here in GA daily so i will not turn out more than than that...ive also spoke to the main GW he said he doesn't really care but not to say another one wouldn't...

romeo212000

Post by romeo212000 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:55 am

Benny wrote:I read that dizzying the birds can be great if you're on the CC, but not so good off the CC, allowing the dog to jump in on a lazy bird. Has anyone found tucking the head under the wing helpful/useful?
Well that depends on if your dog is steady. I don't worry about it with mine but I might with a younger dog who is just learning.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:22 pm

deleted
Last edited by Sharon on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:25 pm

The guy that plants birds at the preserve I run at puts 6 or so in a pillow case and twirls it around windmill style. He then empties them all into a little nest area and lightly covers it with cover. They flush like a wild covey then you can hunt the singles. Sounds like this may not work in your spot but seems to work pretty well in CRP etc.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:03 pm

I ride along on the 4 wheeler and pitch them down into the cover fairly hard. They tend to stick around and sit tight. If you throw them down like your doing a pushup, but to the side, you can throw a 5-6 in quick succession and you will have a covey when you come back to hunt them. Just throw them out within 10-15 feet of eachother. I do this even when putting birds out to guide for a local preserve, and the tips are always great so I must be doing something right. :lol:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:51 pm

If you're talking about quail just flap 'em out and drop 'em in some cover.

Higgins

Post by Higgins » Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:13 am

Click on the picture and it will take you to the video clip.

Here is an easy way to set out singles or covies. Of course the Releaser would be in cover. This is out in the open so you can see the birds leave.

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs