Methods: Hickox vs. Rick/Ronnie Smith

ceadmin

Methods: Hickox vs. Rick/Ronnie Smith

Post by ceadmin » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:29 am

*Well, I had a really long post made and then my pc went south and I lost it. So I am going to paraphrase in the following message of what I had.*

So, I am getting my second poiting dog and I want to give her the best chance I can and do a better job than I did with my first dog. I plan on leading my first one through the same program as the puppy to further polish her, though I understand I will have to modify slightly for the older one as she is in a different point in her training.

My question is this: I respect these three guys very much and I have both of their DVD's and Delmar SMith's book. However, their methods vary pretty differently on how to raise and train your puppy that first 6 months and beyond. Which method would you recommend to go with, the silent command system or George Hickox's way?

Thank you for reading this and thank you for making this site very informational and a wonderful place to be at. I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this site for the past month and using your resources. In the future, I hope I can give back in contributions as well.
Molon Labe!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Methods: Hickox vs. Rick/Ronnie Smith

Post by slistoe » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:49 am

I use the Smith method.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:07 am

I've been to several Smith seminars and been very impressed . The "system" works . I wouldn't go any other way now.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bobman

Post by bobman » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:09 am

IMO both work equally well just pick the one best suited to your personality and stick with it, theres more than one right way to train a bird dog just dont mix and match follow the program from start to finish
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:30 am

I like the Smith method....
But the most important thing is which method makes the most sense to you and is the easiest for you to remain consistant with your dog
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Prairie dog

Post by Prairie dog » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:44 am

I agree choose the one that suites your personality. But , more important than that might be to choose the method that suits best your pups personality. I'm a firm believer the method should match the dog and not the other way around. Of course that might be hard to do with a very young pup if you do not have ample experience..Both are good..
Pd.

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:34 pm

I train using the Smith method. Once the dog gets past the foundation work it'll be use what works for that dog.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:26 pm

Does anyone use Ben O. Williams method and what do you think of it?