planting a chukar??

nowicki2005

planting a chukar??

Post by nowicki2005 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:18 pm

I bought a couple chukars for my dog. Do you do the same thing that you would for a quail or a pigeon and dizzy them? I'm just wondering because they're a little bigger....

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: planting a chukar??

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:58 pm

As for any birds , much better to use a launcher. Gives you control of the situation.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:01 pm

For Chukar, my personal favorite training bird, we hold em by there legs upside down and just kinda swing them as you walk them to your planting spot, a minute or two, and just lay em in a roost like spot to plant, they will stay there long enough to go get your dog and to do some work, and man are they good eating.

Chip

nowicki2005

Post by nowicki2005 » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Sharon wrote:As for any birds , much better to use a launcher. Gives you control of the situation.
dont have any launchers :cry:

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Jan 01, 2009 8:16 pm

niwicki plant em just like I said , they will sit there and look around, but they are good flyers and kinda spooky at times, so check cord your dog in crosswind, so as to know when they hit it, and that Chukar will sit for a while, sometimes they like to run if you do not hold em upside down long enough, try it out and let us know how it goes.

Chip

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:40 am

I do as Chip does. Except I just drop them in head first into tall grass or brush rather than lay them in. Same results. They are good flyers. Just swing them by the legs, like fast pitch softball. (Same motion, Not quite so hard :wink: ). If you had more they will recall also. Not as well as Quail but you get some back.
The best part of training is seeing the light come on in your little prot'eg'e.

Rick

Reech

Post by Reech » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:30 pm

Hold them on their side, tuck the head under the wing that is closest to the ground and pull their legs straight. They go right to sleep!

Me

actinaria

Post by actinaria » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:06 am

Reech wrote:Hold them on their side, tuck the head under the wing that is closest to the ground and pull their legs straight. They go right to sleep!
Yep, that's the way I do it. Just make sure to lay them on the side their head is tucked. They fly fast though, be ready.

Vom Britt

Post by Vom Britt » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:44 am

Another method used is holding the chuckar around the neck with the beak facing you at arms length with your thumb on its throat. Apply pressure with your thumb and watch the birds eyes, when its lids begin to move release the bird by dropping straight down in cover.

Bob

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:17 am

Vom Britt wrote:Another method used is holding the chuckar around the neck with the beak facing you at arms length with your thumb on its throat. Apply pressure with your thumb and watch the birds eyes, when its lids begin to move release the bird by dropping straight down in cover.
Bob
the choke hold :lol:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot