roading your dog w/bicycle

mossanimal

roading your dog w/bicycle

Post by mossanimal » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:18 pm

Hello,

I want to start exercising my dog on back-country roads with my mountain bike (once the snow melts!). I'm looking at a couple of different products... The Springer dog jogger and the Walky Dog. Is anybody familiar with these? Or does anybody have any general advice for bicycle roading dogs?

Thanks!

bobman

Re: roading your dog w/bicycle

Post by bobman » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:37 pm

get the springer good unit
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:57 pm

I have tried roading off a bike but it was tricky to say the least, I do like to free run the dog off the bike though.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:04 pm

I used to do that until i ended up in the ditch a few times. Teach your dog "haw and gee" first. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:38 am

That's how I keep mine in shape, that and swimming beside a kayak. It kind of depends on what you have in mind, letting the dog's pull you, or pedaling with them free running. That's how I do it. I get on a gravel road (actually, we have a 30 mile long bike trail up here, all gravel), keep ecollars on them, and just let them run free. If I'm building muscle, I have them drag logging chain.

If you have a lot of traffic, you'll have to use the springer. I have never used it, but the people that have them, like them. That may have to do with weight. The heavier you are, the harder it is for the dogs to tip you or make you veer. A springer also keeps the pressure point low on the bike to make it more stable.

Don't ever tie the lead to you, or to your bike. Take that as a word to the wise from someone that has done it.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:54 am

If you have the resources...Dennis from Skydance Kennels has a nice bike...http://www.skydancekennels.com/images/2 ... ng800a.jpg...and beautiful area to road...near a state park in WI

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:01 am

Wow. I didnt know that made stuff like that. I just get on the 4 wheeler or golf cart and he runs right along it, on leash. Very interesting looking equipment!
*!~Shantel~!*

bobman

Post by bobman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:03 am

LoveMyGSPs wrote:Wow. I didnt know that made stuff like that. I just get on the 4 wheeler or golf cart and he runs right along it, on leash. Very interesting looking equipment!
google whiz wheels get the tour model
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:23 am

I don't care for the bike products because the dog learns to run along side ...and it's dangerous. That is not what I want from roading. I want them PULLING and I don't want to worry about a squirrel running across the path and dumping me. I would reccommend this product because it is MUCH safer than a bike and provides better conditioning for the dog.

http://www.dogscooter.com

I stripped the batteries and chain from my sons old Schwinn Scooter and it worked pretty well. Several of us would get together in the summer and road dogs in the state parks.

gspgunner

Post by gspgunner » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:03 am

I just use a simple roading harness, just be sure to keep one hand on the brake :)
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.-
Thomas Jefferson

Firstdog

Post by Firstdog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:35 am

Anything wrong with using a treadmill? I can drink beer and run my dog at the same time.

jetto

Post by jetto » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:33 pm

Carl uses the walky dog attachment on his bike at our local reservoir. It worked really well for conditioning for this past fall season. In fact I cut down food portions at the end of the season and ended up having to "up" it again for two of our dogs because their metabolism was still revving apparently and they LOST weight on lay-off when they certainly didn't need to. They were definitely in the best condition they've been in for a trial season. It's tough when you don't have the land to use a 4-wheeler or golf cart and you don't have a big enough safe place for alot of free running.

He wore out a set of brakes in the first 4 months he used the bike. The dogs vary in their desire to pull, etc. Our Irish Setter has never liked "roading" of any sort- off the 4-wheeler at the trainers, etc. So he gives Carl the worst time about it. He runs along for the first 15 minutes or so and then Carl has to pedal to keep him going. Now with the Brittanys it's a different ballgame. They take off SCREAMING at the top of their lungs and Carl doesn't touch the pedals til he hits the first big uphill with them, lol....They are why he wore the brakes out by the way!

Pitfalls are people who want to talk to the dogs and SQUIRRELS and ground hogs. He hasn't been spilled off the bike yet but it's come close when a dog sees a critter off to the side. We do varied things for conditioning including using a treadmill (coming in handy this week with another 10" of snow on the ground), some free running in a pretty limited area, dragging chain weights while in harness walking them and the biking. We also get them to the trainers on occasion for free running and to some state lands when the cover is beat down enough to keep track of them.

With all the snow we've had in Ohio this winter I keep threatening to buy him a dog sled or at the very least ski's but he's not liking either of those ideas! Kristi

mossanimal

Post by mossanimal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:47 pm

These are all great points... Thanks y'all! Looks I will have to decide between letting her free run and getting a Springer/Walky Dog type of thing. I haven't actually tried having her free run with me on a bike yet. I live out in the country in Northern Wisconsin and we don't have a ton of traffic, but enough for me to worry about where she is. If I can get my bike up to the county forest roads, free running would be no problem. BTW... I DO have a brittany (french). Are you saying that if I use a Springer-type device, she will actually pull me on my bike????

jetto

Post by jetto » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:11 pm

Well cross-country you'll probably have to pedal more. There is a bike path at our reservoir Carl uses- he keeps the bike on the path and the dog is in the grass beside the path. He does take them on some of the trails. Just depends on how much your dog likes to pull. Our Brits love pulling. The oldest Irish not so much. Kristi

LoveMyGSPs

Post by LoveMyGSPs » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:36 pm

Nothing wrong with using a treadmill! Esp if you cant get the dog out to exercise.

Have you guys ever seen the dog whisperer on Natgeo? He gets his pack of dogs and they pull him while he is on roller blades. Looks like fun! lol Of course, those arent hunting dogs.
*!~Shantel~!*

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:37 pm

If you use a treadmill, make darn sure YOU AIR THE DOG FIRST!!!

Those recumbent bikes are darn expensive and a dog scooter is ridiculous in price. If you want the dog to pull, buy an adult Schwinn or some other brand, 10 speed three wheeler. With a cute pink basket on the front. The dogs can pull those, they're almost impossible to tip, and they're cheap. Beware though! I differ from Yawl on this. You don't want to just build muscle on a dog. That's great for young dogs, but once they muscle out, then go for sprints and endurace. Ever see a muscle bound Marathoner, or any other runner?

Thing with a bike is, recumbent or otherwise, you're going to have to make it back to where you started. With a bike you can pedal back. Not much on "scootin".

nolimitgsp

Post by nolimitgsp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:54 pm

gonehunting, "you air the dog first".....please explain.

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:48 pm

subscribing
Randy B

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:48 pm

nolimitgsp wrote:gonehunting, "you air the dog first".....please explain.
I'm guessing here, but I'm thinking it means make sure they do their business outside first, so they aren't doing it on the treadmill once they start exercising... but I'm only guessing here....

nickmaimone

Post by nickmaimone » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:24 am

I run heidi 3.6-5 miles every day in the city. I ride an old schwinn cruiser with riser bars. The upright position and high bars on the bike make it really easy to ride with a dog. I ride one handed, with the leash in my other hand. My arm acts as a boom to control the dog through turns, etc. I have a coaster brake so I dont have to sqeeze a lever. When we get going she will be sprinting alongside me for miles.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:40 am

nolimitgsp wrote:gonehunting, "you air the dog first".....please explain.
It was an attempt at humor. "Airing" a dog is letting it take a dump, or "air out" before it is exercised. When you work a dog on a treadmill, most people run a double leash, or two leashes from the dogs collar to each front support of the treadmill. That keeps the dog in the center of the machine.

Now, as you know, when a dog stops to take a dump, it is pretty much instant. The pile is then neatly carried under and through the machine. What a mess to clean up. Air the dog first. :lol:

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:50 am

GH I have a recumbent for personal exercise expensive yes but far cheaper than a heart attack and so comfortable once you have one you wont want to go back. They also really strenghthen your knees which for us older farts is great.

They suck off pavement though

Unless you are a total clutz a brittany is not going to pull you over with a springer, I have a 100lb husky that would drag a brittany down the road backards and he can't pull me overon my regular bike, the thing is real well designed to prevent that. The only thing I changed is I use a real roading harness.

Its the easiest cheapest way to safely condition a dog in traffic prone areas, and it will get you in shape also.

Ross your buddy mtlee has one I think

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 am

I would use the springer, I think it gives more stability. Although it will not fit all bikes. Most every dog can out run me even when I'm on my road bike. With a mountain bike they usually will do circles around me so most all gundogs would be pulling and not just running along side you. If you have even a little traffic I wouldn't risk letting them run free (my dogs have no car sense) because of their speed. You will not be able to keep up with them if they start to chase something. I am usually able to run my dog in a large open area but if I'm anywhere with cars they go on the springer. If you are going to ride on a trail or bike path you will have to adjust your riding as you will need a wider path. A bike path will work but with other walkers/bikers on the path it makes it a little tight.

Gary
Last edited by dirtdober on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mossanimal

Post by mossanimal » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks for that Gary. I'm starting to lean towards getting a springer. How did your dogs take to it at first???

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:58 pm

That Springer looks like just the thing I've been looking for. Can anyone tell me who sells them and about how much they go for.

By the way I live on Long Island where all we have are cars and can not release a dog without worrying if you are going to get him back! I've been roading using a mountain bike for year, sometimes as many as 4 dogs at one time, they work great, but have taken my share of falls. The one bit of advice I will give is make sure you have good brakes! That Springer unit looks like it would work great.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:02 pm

It also is made so that if you go on one side of a road sign pole etc and the dog goes on the other, the spring releases automatically.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

dirtdober

Post by dirtdober » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:04 pm

Dogs didn't have any problem with them as soon as they started. I had been riding around them for a while before using it though.

http://www.faithfulpetproducts.com/cata ... 587985.htm

Gary

Joe Amatulli

Post by Joe Amatulli » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:39 pm

Okay I missunderstood what a Springer is, I don't see how you can do any more than 2 dogs, maybe. What I want to know was where can you get the funny looking tricycle and about what it costs.
http://www.skydancekennels.com/images/2 ... ng800a.jpg...

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:48 pm

Joe Amatulli wrote:Okay I missunderstood what a Springer is, I don't see how you can do any more than 2 dogs, maybe. What I want to know was where can you get the funny looking tricycle and about what it costs.
http://www.skydancekennels.com/images/2 ... ng800a.jpg...
Any good bike shop handles recumbent bikes. They're around a grand.

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:51 pm

decent recumbents are around 2 grand

SFK

Post by SFK » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:05 pm

I used to road my off bike all the time. The only downside I have to roading off bike is that I only feel confortable roading one dog at a time. When you have a few dogs it would eat up quite a bit of time.

I would go to the park down the road where they kept the grass cut (this prevent the dog's pad for getting chewed up by the concrete). I put the dog in a roading harness and attach a 10" check cord that would have a knot in the end of it (for easier holding). I would cut the dog lose, holding the check cord in one hand and applying the break with the other - making sure the entire time that there was tension in the check cord and that the dog was always pulling. If something happened I would just let the check cord go. I found that if you looped the check cord 3/4 around the handle bar, it would take less strenght to hold the dog but you could still let go if you needed to. If I had a dog that was in shape, I would never pedel, they would always be pulling me and l would have the break on (buy yourself extra break pads!). Dogs that I was building up I would adjust the break pressure or pedel so that they didn't get burned out too quickly but always made sure that they were pulling to some degree.

If you want a safer option and one that you can feel comfortable roading multiple dogs from, find an old riding lawnmower. Strip the engine out of it. Install a break if it doesn't have one, and attach your dogs to the front like you would sled dogs, Hit the whistle and ride around the park in style! 8)

dawgmama

Post by dawgmama » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:14 pm

I have one of those Springer gadgets, I got it from Foster and Smith. I liked it well enough, but.... once one of my Wirehairs lunged toward another dog and the spring sprang her back at me, and one of her paws went into my spokes on the tire and we almost had a wreck. I haven't used it since. That was quite a few years ago, with a Wirehair that had a really strong prey drive, and although she was pretty obedient, her adrenaline was up with running and ... Wham! :roll: I had visions of bringing her home with a broken leg, so I haven't used it since.
"Dead Bird!! Fetch it up!!"
2 English Setters and a 'beasty boy' Wirehair pup in our family of hunters.

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:27 pm

Beware though! I differ from Yawl on this. You don't want to just build muscle on a dog. That's great for young dogs, but once they muscle out, then go for sprints and endurance. Ever see a muscle bound Marathoner, or any other runner?
Wrong again gonehuntin.... I believe that cardio is just as important as resistance training. My point was that for this type of exercise I want the dog "pulling" and not pacing himself next to me. For cardio, I prefer swimming, free running and treadmill work.

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:32 pm

For cardio, I prefer swimming, free running and treadmill work.
Well after watching your videos you might need to step it up a little "fatty" how do you exercise your dogs? :mrgreen:

Yawallac
GDF Junkie

Post by Yawallac » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:40 pm

Yeah well, I can lose weight. You'll always be ugly! :lol:

Benny

Post by Benny » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:17 pm

Yawallac wrote: For cardio, I prefer swimming, free running and treadmill work.
Jeez, that explains why your dog kind of reminds me of the Russian in Rocky IV :lol:
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:06 am

Yawallac wrote: Wrong again gonehuntin.... I believe that cardio is just as important as resistance training. My point was that for this type of exercise I want the dog "pulling" and not pacing himself next to me. For cardio, I prefer swimming, free running and treadmill work.
Then why didn't ya say so??? Sheesh. Pointer guys. :roll: :lol:

mossanimal

Post by mossanimal » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:13 am

Well, on this note.. I'm signing off. Thanks again for the info!

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:46 pm

Have you seen this Dog Powered Scooter or Dog Powered Trike

http://www.dogpoweredscooter.com/

bobman

Post by bobman » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:10 am

Yawallac wrote:Yeah well, I can lose weight. You'll always be ugly! :lol:

Yeah but I dont have any mirrors so suffer :D :D

dog dr

Post by dog dr » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:27 am

do you really need one of those springer things?? i just put the end of my dogs leash around the seat pole of the bike and go. they figure it out pretty fast. i use a harness on him instead of just attaching to the collar, though. after a while he even figured out what gee and haw meant.

jetto

Post by jetto » Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:17 pm

Hubby says he likes the attachment cause he knows the dogs can't get under the tires or in front of the bike. He also uses the harness on them when biking. Kristi