what is the best treat for training?

natel24

what is the best treat for training?

Post by natel24 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:49 pm

What treat or treats do you think are the best for training as a reward. I've heard some people use cut up hot dogs, dry kibble, or some sort of store bought treat. Recently i bought a bag of Purina Tbonz dog treats cut them up and use them. Just wondering what everyone uses and if they make a treat specific to training.
natel24
"My dogs not perfect, but i'm not a perfect shot either."
"I'd rather go hunting without a gun than without my dog."

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Re: what is the best treat for training?

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:05 pm

Don't use treats

well take that back i use treats for the silky but not the bird dogs
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:12 pm

I used treats just a little bit when my dog was a pup. I used them for crate training, a little bit of sit work, and recalls...especially when she came in from potty breaks. Every now and again, I'll still give her one if she bowls me over with good behavior, but I don't really use them with anything to do with field/bird work. I just use any inexpensive soft treat....mostly the brand that makes "beggin strips".

Firstdog

Post by Firstdog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:37 pm

Praise from you will do more than anything else. I tried treats, and Kuna would rather be hear happiness in my voice. I did use food for crate training. She hated the kennel at first, so I started feeding and watering her in kennel then moved it in a little further everyday.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:50 pm

Good boy/girl. luv em up with happiness and praise. That's cheap, and builds a dogs confidence better than snausages.
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

aylaschamp

Post by aylaschamp » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:54 pm

I agree, if your training for birds then you don't need any "treats". Obedience is something you can feed for but when they have birds on the brain food is the last thing they want. Praise and quick discipline are the best treats when field training.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:44 pm

you know i do toss a treat in the kennels when we are on the road

it is nice when your traeeling with 14-18 dogs and more then half will fly in to their kennels at night :mrgreen:
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:42 am

Another one that's not much on treating a dog. I want their reward to be my approval, not a piece of hot dog.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:47 am

IMO treats are fine now and then if you are giving them just because, but they shouldnt be used as a training aid, to often they will turn into a "crutch".

westexasrepublic

Post by westexasrepublic » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:38 am

I only used treats at home at, and in the field when she was a pup. Shes so into the hunt that even if I take treats out shes disinterested (ive tried). Her treat is a down bird.
Soouthland's Duke of Hearts
Little Lady Maple

ImageEdit This PedigreeGet Your Free Pedigree Today! WEST TEXAS

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Retrieving the bird they just pointed, stayed steady to flush on or SWS on. A calm pat on the side.

Chip

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:44 pm

I tried using treats, the dog didn't want anything to do with it. I was using the treat as a reward for standing on a whoa/training table while the bird that I had in my pouch flew away. My dog didn't want anything to do with the treat, she was more interested in the bird. Which... I believe...is a good thing. Never used treats again.
Tom

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:25 pm

Started GSP?

This was posted on another wed site by my friend Gdog aka Greg. I found this interesting.

Little History as to how I came up with the method.
It was a bout four years ago when my GSP Pete was a barely old enough for bird work.
Although as as a pup Pete had/ has tremendous retrieving drive on land and water I wanted to have a dog for upland hunting that would go in to a search mode on command just like a Force Broke dog could with out having to put him through the Force breaking procedure.
My theory was and still is today that what separates a Force broke dog from one that is not for upland purposes is that the force broke to retrieve dog has learned by being forced to know what the command FETCH means . But like I said I did not want to force break him for the sole reason to know what Fetch meant and to go at it after the command was given same as the force broke dog could....I say could because not all do to the fault of the breaker. In other words the force broke dog is only as good as the guy that did the Breaking.
So I had to find a way to replace the force with something else. After a long though I came up with the idea to replace force with treats, dried liver bits to be specific... Simple right? Well yes, in theory. What I found out by putting Pete through the process did not quite pan out as expected. Nonetheless by experimenting with Pete the results were priceless.

So at this point I must inject the disclaimer.
This method will not work with all dogs. The reason for that is due to the dogs inherited desires, desires that are stronger and not always the same or weaker from dog to dog...

Nonetheless, it was indeed a blessing for attempting the experiment because as it turned out the method can save the dog from having to spend weeks on the force Breaking table.

I started the experiment in dead of winter in our living room..
My intent was to get Pete to understand what the word fetch means and to act on it.
A pocket full of liver bits and a tennis ball and by placing Pete in a sit position I gave him the command to fetch.

Pete makes the retrieve, but Pete drops the tennis ball short of hand delivery. Not a problem he still gets the treat for making the retrieve..
As time went on in few days I had him hooked on the treats to where now he'll do flips to get the treat... In weeks time Pete had the routine down to where now he sits and waits for the command or he does not get the treat. By that time also he was beginning to understand what the command fetch meant. I knew that he knew because now when he dropped the ball short of hand delivery I would command him to fetch it and he would go in to a search mode just like the Force broke dog would. So it was not hard at all to get it across to him that he only gets the treat when he completed the routine. Which was to place the ball in my hand on command, give.
The next step was to prove him that he truly understood the command fetch and not refuse me. I did that while watching TV. I would go hide the ball at place in the house somewhere and I would give Pete the command to fetch. He at times depending how clever I was would come back with the ball after search through out the house for ten minutes or more.
I knew then Pete was ready for the out doors. What I was not prepared for was the refusal - Remember I did not want to apply any pain what so ever, otherwise my experiment will have tainted -- That's when I discovered what I suspected for a very long time that dogs operate on desires Good and bad --From our point of view, not the dogs..--- that sets what we call instincts in motion.. Inbred Desires what drives dogs to do what they do..

Although Pete was busting his little arse in a search mode just like he did in the house he would not pick up a fresh put to sleep Pigeon to deliver to hand ..

At that point I though my experiment was all a waste of time. Not so.

Later I brokered a dog for a friend and by this time I had my other GSP Roy.
I wanted to Force Break all three at the same time... Let me back up little bit. Pete had been hunted all over the country but did not pick and deliver the birds to hand. He would mouth them but would not bring them...

Back to the shade of an oak tree..

The dog I had brokered was a young DK -18 months old-- Summer time.
I have 70 foot or so high old Oak Tree in my yard that provides lots of shade---I mention that in case how I derived with the name of my method..-- With l awn chair under the oak tree the DK on a check cord and a pocket full of liver bits I sat in the Lawn chair and proceeded teaching the DK what I had thought Pete in my living room...
Roy on the other hand was not put through the program under the oak tree. I wanted to use him to further my experiment...

In short ,the end results were -I'm getting tired typing --- In couple of days on the force breaking table with the ear pinch---I had both dogs retrieving a live wing braided pigeon from the end of my 16 ' Force breaking table while ROY was still learning what the command fetch meant..
I'd say I am way ahead of the game doing it my way even though Pete didn't do as well as I had hopped on treats alone. But of course that does not mean that the next dog I train the method will not pick a live bird Like Pete ......

Hope you can use part or all of it.
GD.
Willie Hunter

rich

Post by rich » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:05 pm

BOB WEHLE : RECOMMENDS COOKED BEEF LIVER.

OurFirstPup

Post by OurFirstPup » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:31 pm

lots of praise and bil-jaks
.2 Golden Retrievers (RiP)
.1 Brittany (pup)
Thanks from Andy, Paul, Susan