Re-using birds

BellaDad

Re-using birds

Post by BellaDad » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:32 pm

I was thinking of tying a long string to a pigeon or quail's leg so that when they fly off I can get them back. That way I maybe only have to buy 4-5 birds a weekend instead of 10+ and can save myself some money.

Does anyone have a decent method of letting the bird fly away but getting it back that doesnt' require homers or a recall pen? And if string works should I use a few hundred feet of string, let the dog chase for a minute, bring them back and send someone else to get the bird or how do you keep the dog off the bird if you're reeling them back in?

texscala

Re: Re-using birds

Post by texscala » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:40 pm

I have done it before. I used yarn attached to a launcher (100 ft or so), but I do not recommend letting the dog chase as I have seen them figure out to grab the string and then attack the bird once it falls.

I have also used 5 feet of yarn that is attached to a piece of cardboard that will let the bird fly a bit but not to much.

I like to clip a single wing on a pigeon and that way it will get off the ground in the flush but not get to far. Then you can catch them and use them again. You do need to make sure your dog is controlled or they will catch these birds.

Here is a video I posted on another topic but still seems applicable here.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:07 am

I have a hard time getting pigeons, so had to be innovative. In the launchers I would alternate between 20' of ice fishing line and a weight. Here's how it works. Put an electrical tie on the pigeons leg and leave it loose enough to get a swivel through it. Now attach 20' of black ice fishing line to the launcher and attach the swivel to the pigeons leg. Face the pigeon away from the dog so when you launch it goes the other direction. It will flutter down and you can retrieve it.

The method I like better is this one. Again put the elec. tie on the leg. Now take a piece of orange yarn and double it so it is about 1'-18" long. Attach about two ounces of weight to this. I use pyramid fishing sinkers. When you launch the bird it will go about 50-75 yards before landing and with the orange yarn, you can find them.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:00 am

I'm going tomorrow to a new training area, so birds won't be able to home back. Taking launchers and will tether birds to them. They're overpriced IMO, but I bought LCS's "Better Bird Tether" for $6.95 each. That's 25' of orange cording with a quick lock loop (toggle) on the other end. That method has worked well for my dog, but I have had a few dumb pigeons launch and then fly back at the dog when they hit the end of the string. Good steadiness training. :mrgreen:

I couldn't remember who had the sinker idea on GDF, but looks like I have Gonehuntin to thank. :wink: I like that idea too, and here's what we made when we decided to toss the LCS garden hose hobbles and use the sinkers instead. Orange cording and toggles were reused from the hobbles.

BellaDad

Post by BellaDad » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:12 am

I was thinking of using some semi-strong fishing line as gonehuntin' suggested. I figure it will be more difficult for the dog to see and less likely they'll try to get the string.

Wems - how much weight do you use? Is a couple of ounces of weight enough to let the bird fly but keep them from flying more than 30-40 yards?

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:16 am

You might have to experiment with the weight. I had 3 large homers when I made these, and with 2 oz they were just getting out too far for the trees and creek nearby. I think the one I pictured has 3 oz on it, and if I remember right bird was getting around 150-200' from that.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:19 am

Maybe if I get a chance this afternoon, I'll launch one with the sinkers and see how far he gets. I might be overguessing.

birddogsunlimited

Post by birddogsunlimited » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:13 pm

depending on the bird ive used a peice of bailing twine for quail i just tie it to there feet the fly but not far and for phesants i have a peice of garden hose about 2 ft long that has a peice of clothes line with slip knots at each end i put the birds feet in it and same as the quail the fly but not far
rossi ann. gsp
mavrick gsp
willow gsp
Charlie yellow lab
kimber yellow lab
barrett yellow lab
mikey choc. lab r.i.p buddy

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:39 pm

BellaDad wrote:I was thinking of tying a long string to a pigeon or quail's leg so that when they fly off I can get them back. That way I maybe only have to buy 4-5 birds a weekend instead of 10+ and can save myself some money.

Does anyone have a decent method of letting the bird fly away but getting it back that doesnt' require homers or a recall pen? And if string works should I use a few hundred feet of string, let the dog chase for a minute, bring them back and send someone else to get the bird or how do you keep the dog off the bird if you're reeling them back in?

Ah yes. I remember well. I had the pigeon on a long string. As he took off, he went towards the pond. Got himself hung up in a tree, hanging down towards the water. At this time, the bird watcher's club were rounding the end of the pond. :roll: ( Yes I did crawl out there and retrieve him while the dog watched.) :)

I don't use string on birds anymore. I buy strong flying birds and let them go. We're talking about $2. here - the price of a coffee.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

bobman

Post by bobman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:48 pm

build a small recall pen and leave it where you train its not a hard thing to build
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:07 pm

I decided I was too old to be climbing trees that were never meant to be climbed to retrieve birds that were never meant to hang upside down from said trees. I gave up on tying strings to birds.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:08 am

I cant see 2 ounces being anywhere near enough to keep the bird from flying. That sounds like a simpler idea than cardboard or a hose though. I need a way to keep them catchable until the babies hatch.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:20 am

GsPJustin wrote:I cant see 2 ounces being anywhere near enough to keep the bird from flying. That sounds like a simpler idea than cardboard or a hose though. I need a way to keep them catchable until the babies hatch.
I don't think I've ever gone heavier than 2 1/2 ounces. At three ounces, they just didn't go far enough. But here's the catch. I keep my birds a fairly long time and they're in an 8'x8' pigeon house. The longer I have them, the weaker flyers they become. That may explain why 2 or 3 ounces work for me and not someone else.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:50 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:I have a hard time getting pigeons, so had to be innovative. In the launchers I would alternate between 20' of ice fishing line and a weight. Here's how it works. Put an electrical tie on the pigeons leg and leave it loose enough to get a swivel through it. Now attach 20' of black ice fishing line to the launcher and attach the swivel to the pigeons leg. Face the pigeon away from the dog so when you launch it goes the other direction. It will flutter down and you can retrieve it.

The method I like better is this one. Again put the elec. tie on the leg. Now take a piece of orange yarn and double it so it is about 1'-18" long. Attach about two ounces of weight to this. I use pyramid fishing sinkers. When you launch the bird it will go about 50-75 yards before landing and with the orange yarn, you can find them.
I have never tied things to a pigeon's legs or to bands on the legs so please bear with me. When tieing on a swivel, do you prefer the brass, black or silver with the little bearing on it? also what is the knot of choice for tying one on? I like the improves cinch but the palomar is a stronger knot. The suregons knot may well be strong enough though I would think. One more question, which line do you prefer? I like and have on hand plenty of Stren but I'm also fooling with some braided stuff. Very thin and strong! Of course fluorocarbon is all the rage now though.

:mrgreen:
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:50 am

Don, Don, Don. Are you making fun of we poor people without unlimited birds to use? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

dan v

Post by dan v » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:28 am

Sharon wrote: I don't use string on birds anymore. I buy strong flying birds and let them go. We're talking about $2. here - the price of a coffee.
How many cups of coffee does it take to train bird dog? :mrgreen:
Dan

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:15 pm

I've heard if you pull the 5 primary flight feathers of each wing they can still fly just not as far. The feathers grow back in time.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:21 pm

If you pull 5 flight feathers on each wing I doubt they would be able to fludder much less fly, and they take a bit of time to grow back if I am not mistaken. At least my pigeon's did.