Selecting a Ecollar

NeBrittany

Selecting a Ecollar

Post by NeBrittany » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:06 pm

I know that this is mostly based on one's opinion.

But what should one look for when selecting a e-collar?

I've looked at Tritronics, Innotek, Sport DOG, DT Systems, Dogtra, & Unleashed Technology. And just not sure which would be the right choice.
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence

-George Washington-

Benny

Re: Selecting a Ecollar

Post by Benny » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Many many many threads on this if you do a search for "e-collar."
To get you started (and everyone else :mrgreen: ) I would say durability, RANGE!, satisfactory warranty, and that you're comfortable with the remote and system as a whole. If you don't like lots of bells and whistles, look for something simple. If you love digital screens and 300 level settings, look for said description.
I'm satisfied with my Dogtra 1900. But that's just me.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:24 pm

Just a comment: On a lot of pics on the forum i see the e-collar attached incorrectly. It should be SNUG up under your dogs ears, not hanging on its' neck somewhere.. Just a tip.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:21 pm

Yep I see that all to much E collars not put on right

As for simple reliable and good range collars ...I have been through DT Sportdog Dogtra and I was Always Thankful I had My Trusty Tri Tronics to go to when the other collars failed me and I pass on innorec seen way to many client have issues with them
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:40 pm

Even my dog like the tri tronics
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:47 pm

K9 is your dog training you what setting he got the transmitter set on? :P

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:06 pm

Probably not high enough :lol:

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:10 pm

Must be one of those HARD HEADED POINTERS!! I hope Ross don't read this. :lol:

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:42 pm

ROFLMBO :mrgreen:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

NeBrittany

Post by NeBrittany » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:24 pm

Looking in to the products produced by Tritronics.

And couldn't find any information as to what decibel level they set the beeper at on their products. I really like what I have read about the Trashbreaker G2, but me being unable to hear any sounds that hit the high decibel marks. I figured that if all their products are "up there" it wouldn't do me no good to invest in one.
Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence

-George Washington-

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:41 pm

email customer service

I can tell you I mostly use mine just for locate and turn it on and off..it has different range tones going up and down the tone scale which I can hear that

i just can't stand listening to a constant beep and i hate bells but will not hunt with out something

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:07 am

NeBrittany wrote:Looking in to the products produced by Tritronics.

And couldn't find any information as to what decibel level they set the beeper at on their products. I really like what I have read about the Trashbreaker G2, but me being unable to hear any sounds that hit the high decibel marks. I figured that if all their products are "up there" it wouldn't do me no good to invest in one.

I think all the beepers are at the same decibel level. If you could find someone who has any Tritronics beeper you could test it for your own hearing capability.

Elroy's Bandit

Post by Elroy's Bandit » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:25 am

TriTronics has a great product. durable, easy to use with more than enough flexibility for the average trainer/hunter. I am still using an "upland" model which has been used....a lot. It still operates like the day I bought it. The beepers are multi level adjustable as well as audible sounds from a beep, screech,, and something they call screaming hawk, although it sounds more like a cat being murdered to me. Their customer service is top notch and they offer big discounts every year for trade-in of current Tri Tronics products ....offering as much as 45% trade in value. If you have a Bass Pro Shop near you, they carry the TriTronics line and you can physically see the product. Check for the nearesrt dealer to you and give them a call.
Bill L.

natetnc

Post by natetnc » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:29 am

if there is a possibility of another dog go with a multidog model, don't skimp now and pay later. depending on size of dog check out the size of receiver, sportdogs tend to be a little more for a small dog to lug around, not saying they can't, just saying its tougher. there is plenty on this site about warranty and durability which is very important. the rest is personal pref.... where the dials are, size of transmitter, stuff like that.

Grange

Post by Grange » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:56 am

I am going to purchase the Dogtra 2500 T&B. I originally wanted a Tritronics based on their reputation, but I want a locate feature on the beeper and the TT G3 doesn't have that option unless you turn it off and on from the transmitter. The next level up TT with a beeper is just too expensive for me. I then looked at DT Systems due to cost, but i didn't like the idea of a wire running along the collar between the electrodes and the beeper. I've also heard some less than flattering reviews. Next was the Sport Dog and Dogtra ecollars with beepers. I like Sport Dog as I had good luck with my previous one, but it doesn't have the same range as the Dogtra. Now I may never need the extra range, but if I do I'll be glad I have it.

I looked at Sportdog SD 2400, which LC Supply has on clearance. It has 1.5 mile range and if you add the accessory beeper for $119.99 you will get a located feature and a long range for the price of a DT Systems collar. The reason I didn't go this route was the size of the transmitter. With the antenna it is about 16 inches long. For me that is too cumbersome to carry while hunting.

My only issues with the Dogtra are, I dont' think I can expand it to two dogs if necessary (the two dog one is $520) and I don't care for the location of the beeper. I would think it would be easier on the dogs ears if the beeper was above the ears rather than below. But considering I don't plan on getting another dog anytime soon and my lab doesn't need a collar anymore, and I only will use the beeper for the locate feature and not on pointing or running modes I can live with these issues.

NeBrittany

Post by NeBrittany » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:59 pm

kninebirddog wrote:email customer service

I can tell you I mostly use mine just for locate and turn it on and off..it has different range tones going up and down the tone scale which I can hear that

i just can't stand listening to a constant beep and i hate bells but will not hunt with out something
Thats why I have invested in a Garmin. But I hear noises more annoying than a constant beep all day at work. The only thing that is most annoying to me is to constantly hear a phone ring at work and see the same person talking on the phone when they should be working.
Elroy's Bandit wrote:TriTronics has a great product. durable, easy to use with more than enough flexibility for the average trainer/hunter. I am still using an "upland" model which has been used....a lot. It still operates like the day I bought it. The beepers are multi level adjustable as well as audible sounds from a beep, screech,, and something they call screaming hawk, although it sounds more like a cat being murdered to me. Their customer service is top notch and they offer big discounts every year for trade-in of current Tri Tronics products ....offering as much as 45% trade in value. If you have a Bass Pro Shop near you, they carry the TriTronics line and you can physically see the product. Check for the nearest dealer to you and give them a call.
Bill L.
The closest Bass Pro is about a two hour drive east of here. There is another sporting goods retailer here in town that sells Tritronics but they have everything behind thick glass, and I have never had good luck doing business with them.
natetnc wrote:if there is a possibility of another dog go with a multidog model, don't skimp now and pay later. depending on size of dog check out the size of receiver, sportdogs tend to be a little more for a small dog to lug around, not saying they can't, just saying its tougher. there is plenty on this site about warranty and durability which is very important. the rest is personal pref.... where the dials are, size of transmitter, stuff like that.
It would be foolish of me not to get a multidog model. I don't know if or when I will get another, or what breed. Now that he's house broke I really like the Brittany's, but I am quite interested in the GSP's

-George Washington-

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:40 pm

I heard all the newer tri tronics are expandable. Reliable shock level is the most important feature. The cheaper units don't always give the same shock level when you turn the knob. Tri tronics are reliable and rugged made in America. Beeper is used for locate only. Very useful when hunting the cattails.

subatomicstang

Post by subatomicstang » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:47 pm

I just purchased a TT 70 exp its easy to use has 6 constant level of stimulation if i want anything other than constant i just tap tap tap it. ITs pretty basic so far. I paid 279.00 for it brans new at gander they had that model marked down from 320.00 so i couldnt pass it up.

-Randy
Randy B

kumate

Post by kumate » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:45 pm

I bought a dogtra 2300 3/4 mile waterproof trans and reciever for 269 from lion country supply i found the price somewhere else online and they matched it

Jerry

bradtown

Post by bradtown » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:04 pm

subatomicstang wrote:I just purchased a TT 70 exp its easy to use has 6 constant level of stimulation if i want anything other than constant i just tap tap tap it. ITs pretty basic so far. I paid 279.00 for it brans new at gander they had that model marked down from 320.00 so i couldnt pass it up.

-Randy
Plus 1!!

After having several different brands the TT 70 exp rulezzzz!! 8)

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:17 pm

TT is the only way to go imo but some like the dogtra.All I know I don't worry about the TT failing when I strap it on,not so with some other brands I've used or seen my buddies pushing buttons & their dogs never reacting in any manor.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:58 pm

vzkennels wrote:TT is the only way to go imo but some like the dogtra.All I know I don't worry about the TT failing when I strap it on,not so with some other brands I've used or seen my buddies pushing buttons & their dogs never reacting in any manor.
that is how Bob lost his setter dog he couldn't find our tri tronic beepers he had bought so he used the DT 5002 training collar supposed to have a mile range flat land about 200 plus yards out...he was pushing the button and the dog wasn't turning and he couldn't get the beeper to go into run mode either...lost the dog :cry: tomorrow will be two weeks

Keny Glasscock

Post by Keny Glasscock » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:18 pm

I'm now a loyal TT fan. I visited their office while in Az and picked up a couple of antenna.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:18 pm

Did you get to tour any

I should have thought about that My bad :( it is neat how they make many of the components right there with american made parts...by english speaking Americans...No matter race creed or color they speak english in the front and in the work area

NeBrittany

Post by NeBrittany » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:28 pm

vzkennels wrote:TT is the only way to go imo but some like the dogtra.All I know I don't worry about the TT failing when I strap it on,not so with some other brands I've used or seen my buddies pushing buttons & their dogs never reacting in any manor.

With such high marks,TT is the only e-collar I've been looking into.

-George Washington-