New GSP...

Smith81

New GSP...

Post by Smith81 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:06 pm

I'm leaving in a few minutes to pick up my first bird dog. Finally talked the wife into a GSP. I'm getting it at 7 months old from a reputable hunting kennel near the Denver area. Owner doesn't want it because of a lack of training time due to a new baby. Some co-workers have hunted over her parents and had good things to say. I got it at a steal of $350.00, the pups normally sell between $750-$1000.

I'm actually nervous. I grew up around hunting dogs (dad trains them) but now it's actually MY turn to train one. I have the books etc...telling me what to do but I still feel so...insecure about this.

Any pointers (no pun intended :lol: ) for the first week are welcome.

I want the dog ready for opening day in November so I'd like to get started asap.

donnie_19

Re: New GSP...

Post by donnie_19 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:46 pm

Get a dvd. George Hickox is a good one to start with.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:33 pm

any good trainer will tell you its takes a couple weeks for a dog to get acclimated to a new place and people and thats if you work at it, I do some rescue with GSps and other dogs and thats the quickest time frame.

So if I was you for the first three weeks I wouldnt do any training just spend time with the dog let it bond and get it to trust you. Then I would work on coming when called until I trusted the dog. Then I would work it on wild birds as often as possible and get it introed to guns, next I would take it hunting, you don't teach a dog to hunt they are born knowing that

nothing to it relax and enjoy
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Smith81

Post by Smith81 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:15 am

Well she's home. I'll post pics when my wife returns with the camera :D .

Thanks for the advice, I'll take it easy for a couple of weeks and just pal around with her. She took an interest in a tennis ball in the yard (other dog's toy). Whenver I threw it she chases it, sniffs it, then runs back to me...I thought she would pick it up.

She points the other dog too :lol: . It's hilarious to watch.

Either way she's a sweetheart and I can't wait to get started.

Benny

Post by Benny » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:56 am

Smith81 wrote: I want the dog ready for opening day in November so I'd like to get started asap.
careful about setting deadlines with dogs. it shouldn't be a problem getting your dog in the field by November, but your dog may not be completely polished or fully broke. As suggested above, lots of getting to know you time and then step-by-step progression.
Good luck and send pictures
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

gwgdog66

Post by gwgdog66 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:17 pm

Congrats! I got my female GSP when she was 7 months. She had already had a couple of hunting trips when I got her. I spent most of the first three months letting her get aquainted with me and her surroundings. Socialized with other dogs too. I didn't pressure her a bit, I let her be a pup and a pet. I taught her a few things, here, sit, loadup, and kennell. Just take things slow and you will have a great companion, and a good hunting partner :D

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:43 am

Alright Smith its been a few days now. WHERE ARE THE PICS? good luck with the new pup. If you dont have it yet look at perfect start/finish dvd's. I am curious which kennel in Denver, since that is my backyard. If you want to let your dog have a play date let me know. My can always use the exercise. If yours is like mine, I have not figured out how to make her tired. I keep checking but I have not found the off switch yet.

Matt

Smith81

Post by Smith81 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:16 pm

birdhunter I shot you a pm about a play date.

She listens great to "here", most important command so I'm happy with it. "Kennel" is decent, and "Sit" is nonexistant with her :lol: . My mutt won't stop trying to romance her :evil: .

She's taking to me very well, and is responding to her new name. I'm itching to start but won't rush it.

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:29 pm

I am going to say forget the sit command untill after you are atleast done with teaching whoa at a later date.Saying that I know others will come out of the woodwork to say just the opposite.

mikenmason

Post by mikenmason » Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:55 pm

I agree with bobman. My dog (6 months old) just started his training 2 weeks ago. He was going nuts pointing and chasing birds around my house when I would take him out in the fields. When he got to the trainer he just shut down. I got a call just yesterday and apparently the "lights came on". The trainer said he's a hunting machine now. Its amazing the difference a day will make. The trainer told me the same thing....sometimes it takes a week or two to get used to new surroundings for the dogs. I miss that little sucker...I gotta go see him tomorrow and check his progress.