Lack of intensity?

gspdog

Lack of intensity?

Post by gspdog » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:52 pm

My 4 year old GSP is flagging on point with her tail at 10 o'clock. She is bird crazy and not a soft dog at all. She is green broke and we have been doing alot of training to get her there. I have never been hard on her physically or with the collar. Any pointers on getting her intensity level back up? This has not been a problem in the past. Thanks!!

AHGSP
GDF Junkie

Re: Lack of intensity?

Post by AHGSP » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:32 pm

gspdog wrote:My 4 year old GSP is flagging on point with her tail at 10 o'clock. She is bird crazy and not a soft dog at all. She is green broke and we have been doing alot of training to get her there. I have never been hard on her physically or with the collar. Any pointers on getting her intensity level back up? This has not been a problem in the past. Thanks!!

If she is flagging, your problem lies in the bold lettering. Take her off birds for a few weeks and just have some fun with her without demanding performance. It's not about being hard on her, it's likely the pressure your putting on her to perform, or the method your using.
Bruce Shaffer

"If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten"
Mark Twain

Bruce, Raine, Storm and GSP's
Almost Heaven GSP's
"In Search of the Perfect GSP";)

vzkennels

Post by vzkennels » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:35 pm

I agree with Bruce to much training & she is getting bored.If possible put her on some wild birds after giving her a break,I think you will see a big difference.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:33 pm

What exactly have you been doing in your training...?
brenda

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:33 pm

I was tempted to say too much pressure but dogs also flag due to a lack of confidence. Good question Snips.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:58 pm

a few questions about your training......

do you train in the same area?

are you using the same kinds of birds?

do you use a bird launcher or are you planting birds naturally?

The reason i ask is the dog sounds like it is getting too familiar with your training program and need to mix it up a bit with a new area, new birds or something else to add a new twist for the dog. If you use a bird launcher try letting a few go, flyaways, without shooting them. pigeons work great for this, especially if you can find some strong flying racing homers.

the most valuable piece of equipment, next to an ecollar, for a pointing dog is a remote bird launcher.

R-Heaton

Post by R-Heaton » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:58 am

Sprig wrote:he most valuable piece of equipment, next to an ecollar, for a pointing dog is a remote bird launcher
I would have to say a good pair of hiking boots,,, but thats just me.

You might try killing a bird or two for him in a complete controlled situation,,,, and kill the bird up close and personal,,,, so that bird is fluttery all around. I have heard of a pro that packs a 10/22 and hits em in the head and lets the dog watch them flutter,,,, great for intensity.

That and quit doing whatever you are doing,,, cause it doesn't sound like your getting the desired results.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:49 am

e collars have nothing to do with putting to much pressure on a dog to much pressure can be the check cord cause they know they won't be able to get the bird
to much pressure can be the dog having to stand to many flushed birds

a lot of training can bore a dog also not changing things just being same spots over and over

mental pressure can cause flagging faster for some dog faster then others

could be the dog also

do you know the dam and sire do either of them flag
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

Ricky Ticky Shorthairs

Post by Ricky Ticky Shorthairs » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:56 am

I agree that the dog is getting bored for a number of reasons, and there have been several good suggestions on how to cure it. ie different locations, different birds, DON'T TALK TO YOUR DOG WHEN BREAKING THEM, etc. Here is another; I have seen Dave Walker shoot at a carded pigeon on the ground that the dog can see and is pointing. Not really hitting the bird but kicking dirt on it and making it move or fly. It stopped more than one dog from flagging. I have seen this in person at 3 different Walker seminars as well as working full days on problem dogs with Dave on days before and after those seminars. 8)
Your dog may break the first couple of times you do this so be ready with the checkcord.

I would not just go out and do this unless you have a helper, and I would also suggest that you buy Dave's dvd Help For The Problem Dog. http://www.davewalkerdogs.com/ This is kinda the same thing that R-Heaton suggested, it just kicks up more dust, and you don't have to kill the bird unless you really want to. I think it helps keep their head up when they can watch it fly away. Kinda all depends how broke your dog is, and how you broke him.

If you haven't broke many dogs, you may want to get the help of a local pro who only trains pointers, and has experience with flagging problems. Lots of good fixes here and they all work. Just keep in mind, it's hard to fix a problem without seeing the dog in action, and the ability to read the dog comes into play BIG TIME with these kind of problems. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Doug

gspdog

Post by gspdog » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Just an update. We trained at another location today with bobwhites and her style and intensity was back. I was hoping it was just going to take a change of scenery. Blinked a back but backed real nice a couple times so thats good for her.

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:21 pm

R-Heaton wrote: I would have to say a good pair of hiking boots,,, but thats just me.

I agree, that is also a much needed piece of equipment.....ESPECIALLY for those people that chase chuckars :D

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:03 pm

When I was breaking my last dog he pointed tame birds with intensity at first. Later in life he would point tame birds ok, but would flag and you could tell he was thing," ok these are the easy ones". On wild birds he had incredible intensity and no flagging.