Weim too old?

jsmoody

Weim too old?

Post by jsmoody » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:44 am

I have a 2 1/2 yr old weim that I bought because I like their looks. About the most I've taught him is to come here, and not to jump on anyone. He listens well to these things. I can tell just by watching him around he's got a pretty good nose. He's trailed one deer for a pretty good ways last season. I was wondering at this age would it be worth going through all the gun dog training with him. I took him quail hunting once and he seemed interested at first but lost it quick, even when looking at a live bird on the ground. Only thing he's ever pointed was a hog.

birdhunter2424

Re: Weim too old?

Post by birdhunter2424 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:42 am

I am sure you can find out fairly quickly if the pup can make it as a bird dog. My guess would be yes? I would start with him as if he was a pup. Get him some birds to play with and build the desire. I am fairly new to this as well. But you will certainly get more responses then just mine.

postoakshorthairs

Post by postoakshorthairs » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:22 pm

I would think if the dog is bred for hunting then it's not too late. Just because he doesn't show a ton of interest in a song bird on the ground wouldn't concern me. I just got a year and a half old female gsp in to train that had never seen or smelled a bird. At first she didn't have a ton of interest but I exposed her to pigeons and the switch turned on and her natural instincts are coming thru.

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:39 pm

If the dog is trainable and biddable and has the bird drive then your answer is no, it's certainly not too late. Seek out an experienced "dog person" or professional trainer in your area to do an evaluation and give you an opinion. If he's "got it" no sense wasting it, but if he doesn't there's no sense wasting a lot of time, effort and aggravation because you can't put it into them it has to be there to begin with. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people