When to start with horse

Bailey

When to start with horse

Post by Bailey » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:48 am

I am planning on getting a puppy this year and was thinking of trying my hand at field trials with it. I have never competed in a trial before but have done some volunteering at a couple here.

With my current dogs I never handled them off a horse before but they have been handled off my quad. They are both really good with horses I just dont own a horse so never had that opportunity. I am sure if I got up on one they would handle fine for me but I want to do this right with the new pup.

So when is the proper time to get up on a horse and start handling them off horse back? Would it be after proper yard work is laid down, the dog is all business in the field, and he knows what he is doing, not pottering around but actually hunting?

Also there isnt alot of trialing or people who hunt dogs off horse back in my area. So is it possible to take an older horse and start running dogs off of it? How hard is this for the horse to get used to? There is a couple different farms around here who have gaited horses but as far as i can tell they are not "trial" horses, they do more of the shows with theirs.
"Line breed for consistancy and outcross for vigor."
Ridge-Point

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: When to start with horse

Post by shags » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:58 am

I start my dogs off horseback when they have enough leg to run pretty well and stay out front, maybe 5 or 6 months. By that time they are handling pretty well anyway. If you're a novice rider with a new (not dog- or trial-broke) horse and a dog that's not used to being run from horseback, you might have your hands full.
We've picked up some decent horses from different sources, but to me, it's easier and faster to just buy a trial horse. Someone else has done all the hard work for you :)

Bailey

Post by Bailey » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:14 am

Ya I was planning on just buying a trials horse but wont be able to have one for a year or 2.
"Line breed for consistancy and outcross for vigor."
Ridge-Point

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:34 am

In the meantime you can fix up a place for him; not quite the huge sudden hit to your checking account! Plus, it gives you time to look around and see who usually has good ones for sale, and to get the word out that you'll be looking.
Good luck!

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:15 pm

Bailey -

One thing to keep in mind. Tenn. Walkers, and Miss. Foxtrotters and most gaited horse breeds are generally pretty mellow animals...BUT... not all horses are fond of dogs especially when they are running around close to them and around behind them. You need to be careful because a single kick can kill a dog stone dead.

If you have a horse that you can use, I would suggest getting the horse used to the dogs you have right now which you handled off the quad. That should make the transition somewhat easier for the horse. Also I would see just how sensitive the horse is about having a rope across it's chest and along it's side and around its back, because sooner or later you are going to want to road your dog off that horse. The horse is going to have to learn to ground tie as well, because yo are going to have to get off the horse whenthe dog points, to work the bird and it really sucks when you look up and your horse is halfway back to the trailer and there you are with a dog an no lead and a loooong walk back. Been there did that. Not fun.

The horse has to understand what its new job is and that will take some time and exposure.

RayG

Neil Mace

Post by Neil Mace » Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:06 am

As you are introducing the puppy to as many new things as you can think of, add horses.

I have found that dogs that have at least seen a horse or two (and more importantly smelled them), can transition from being ran from an ATV to horseback easily, as long as they do not get behind. Coming up through a gallery full of horses is nerve racking for the dog and handler.

So if you cannot train from horseback, at least find someone that will let you introduce the pup to his horses, and work hard at keeping the dog to the front.

And like Ray is telling you, there is no such thing as a 100%, totally broke horse.

Neil

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:45 pm

I would not worry about the dogs I would worry about you first,then the dogs.

Horses require knowledge lots of it, without it they kill you or badly hurt you without trying.

Get a horse or better yet find someone that gives lessons and explain what you goal is and spend the next couple years learning about horses on one of their school horses, they require a lot of care proper vetting , training, exercise, shoeing, parasite control and on and on and on.

I love them but I'm also very careful around them not understanding them and their body language makes them become something you cannot believe in the wrong situation.

My advice, spend the next two years learning about them B4 you even think about buying one.

Our horses are actaully my wife and daughters animals I just pay for them :D and dont ride much anymore. They are a lot of work.
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:32 pm

Bailey wrote:I am planning on getting a puppy this year and was thinking of trying my hand at field trials with it. I have never competed in a trial before but have done some volunteering at a couple here.

With my current dogs I never handled them off a horse before but they have been handled off my quad. They are both really good with horses I just dont own a horse so never had that opportunity. I am sure if I got up on one they would handle fine for me but I want to do this right with the new pup.

So when is the proper time to get up on a horse and start handling them off horse back? Would it be after proper yard work is laid down, the dog is all business in the field, and he knows what he is doing, not pottering around but actually hunting?

Also there isnt alot of trialing or people who hunt dogs off horse back in my area. So is it possible to take an older horse and start running dogs off of it? How hard is this for the horse to get used to? There is a couple different farms around here who have gaited horses but as far as i can tell they are not "trial" horses, they do more of the shows with theirs.
If you have the right horses, I am a firm believer that you do it gently, without pressure or any chance of danger, early, and often.

This is how I like to do it.

Fifteen pound 7 week old puppies and a 1,200lbs, 16h 4yo trotter/walker named "Hank".
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:45 pm

WildRose wrote:
Bailey wrote:I am planning on getting a puppy this year and was thinking of trying my hand at field trials with it. I have never competed in a trial before but have done some volunteering at a couple here.

If you have the right horses, I am a firm believer that you do it gently, without pressure or any chance of danger, early, and often.

This is how I like to do it.

Fifteen pound 7 week old puppies and a 1,200lbs, 16h 4yo trotter/walker named "Hank".
Hey Wildrose,

Great photos - where did you find an e-collar big enough to put on that horse? Just joshin' ... that is the way to do it.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:06 pm

Actually Scott that's just a "field trial horse collar" for staking them out. He just wears his all the time. I'm very fortunate. Both Hank and Louie as well as Donna's little paint colt were all raised with dogs and puppies pretty much from day one. The horses just think they are puppies themselves and are literally afraid to hurt one.

It does lead to one problem however in that my dogs have absolutely no fear or respect for horses, they just think all of them want to play! CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people