Fence Jumper

rockllews

Fence Jumper

Post by rockllews » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:48 am

Does anyone have any permanent training solutions for dogs that jump backyard fences? The lady who could use the trainer around Portland (see below thread) has to keep one of the foster ES's tied up on a 30' tether whenever she goes to the back yard. Top that off with no walks or free runs. (Poor dog needs some good exercise.) Anyways, she can jump a 6-7' fence with no problem. Also, I highly doubt she would use a e-collar, but if that's what you're method takes, I'd still appreciate you sharing.

And I know it's only temporary, but has anyone ever tried one of those "no-jump" harnesses that are sold in some pet supply catalogs?

Thanks.

Brittguy

Re: Fence Jumper

Post by Brittguy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:12 am

I would think that the no-jump harness would not train the dog and as soon as the harness was removed she would revert to jumping the fence.
I had that problem with a dog and only had to use the e-collar one time , she never jumped out again.If she does try this solution, I did a lot stronger than a little nick.

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:49 am

I used an electronic fence to break my wifes jack russel from jumping our 5 foot fence. It only took 1 time and she never tried again.

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks Brittguy and BH.

I know a harness wouldn't train or teach the dog squat :D But if they work when they're on, then maybe it's a short-term means of letting the dog get off it's chain? I've always been skepticle of their design/results though.

I was thinking ecollar, too, but I don't know how comfortable this lady will be with using one like that. If the dog's not stubborn and her timing is right, then it should only take a couple stimulations.... She seemed okay with the idea (or at least didn't call it abuse) when I explained to her about incorporating it in teaching a different dog to recall reliably, although I don't know if she ever did anything with him. For jumping, it would obviously be a higher stimulation though than when I previously described using it.

Any others use a ecollar?

BH- where did you position the hotwire? A few feet in front, by the take off distance, or up high on the actual fence?

birdhunter2424

Post by birdhunter2424 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:44 pm

I positioned it on the fence about half way up the fence. Then I had the distance set so it would start beeping when she walked within a couple feet of the fence. It stopped the jumping and it also stopped the barking at the fence when the neighbor was out in the back yard.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:25 pm

rockllews wrote:Does anyone have any permanent training solutions for dogs that jump backyard fences?
CONCERTINA WIRE. :lol:
Jess Stucky
Prairie Fire Pointers & Supply
Pretty Prairie, KS
http://www.prairiefirepointers.com
http://www.prairiefirepointersupply.com
'Distinguished Dogs for the Discriminating Hunter'
Doesn't Your Dog Deserve The Best?

"Add clarity to your life, see through the eyes of a dog"

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:39 pm

[quote="prairiefirepointers]CONCERTINA WIRE. :lol:[/quote]

Uh, yeah, that'd look GREAT in some fancy Portland neighborhood! :D :D

BCA1228

Post by BCA1228 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:06 pm

A 30' tether is not all that bad. He can run a good bit on that. More than in a kennell. Not ideal, but it definetely assures you he want get out and get runover.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:27 pm

I used to have just the opposite problem you have. Digging out.
As we all know English Pointers are PHENOMENAL at digging! Give them the oppertunity and they will turn your backyard into a moonscape. I cured the digging out with 4" insulators from Tractor Supply and hooked up a electric fence. Simple and more than effective. I'd bet you could do the same thing, except run it about midway up or towards the top of the fence.

Just an Idea. Good Luck. :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Buy a cheap used pet containment system off ebay or craigslist. Attach the wire to the fence with wire ties, whatever. Hook up the transmitter and, Put the collar on the dog and no more fence jumping or digging. We do them all the time for the same reason. Takes about 1 hour to hook up and have working. The lady doesn't need a remote for this solution. It doesn't take much correction for the dog to back out of the signal field.
Don

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:26 pm

donnie_19 wrote:Buy a cheap used pet containment system off ebay or craigslist. Attach the wire to the fence with wire ties, whatever. Hook up the transmitter and, Put the collar on the dog and no more fence jumping or digging. We do them all the time for the same reason. Takes about 1 hour to hook up and have working. The lady doesn't need a remote for this solution. It doesn't take much correction for the dog to back out of the signal field.
Don
I know someone who did this. They said it was very very easy to get the dog used to it as there is a visual barrier that they know they are suppoes to stay behind. It just reminds them to stay away. The just walked the dog around the yard once on lead and they figeured out very quickly to avoid the fence.

prairiefirepointers

Post by prairiefirepointers » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:14 pm

donnie_19 wrote:Buy a cheap used pet containment system off ebay or craigslist. Attach the wire to the fence with wire ties, whatever. Hook up the transmitter and, Put the collar on the dog and no more fence jumping or digging. We do them all the time for the same reason. Takes about 1 hour to hook up and have working. The lady doesn't need a remote for this solution. It doesn't take much correction for the dog to back out of the signal field.
Don
Well, there you go. Sounds like a very good idea. :D
Jess Stucky
Pretty Prairie, KS

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:41 pm

I've also heard of dogs who simply say to themselves, 'i know i'm going a shock but it won't last long and it will be worth it."

I had a dog who was getting out. Couldn't figure out how. I watched one day and he was putting one leg on the tree trunk and one leg on the fence and shimmying up over the fence. ( True story.) :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Benny

Post by Benny » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:18 pm

Sharon wrote: I had a dog who was getting out. Couldn't figure out how. I watched one day and he was putting one leg on the tree trunk and one leg on the fence and shimmying up over the fence. ( True story.) :)
Its like teenagers that work so hard to get themselves in trouble...if only they could apply that energy to being more productive. Anyhow, that's a tricky dog.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

Dennmor

Post by Dennmor » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:13 pm

I've got a GSP owner friend who is not a hunter. His dog Rocky is notorius for running off. After the umpteenth time Petur had to spring him from the shelter he decided to try the e-fence. Rocky would move as close as he could without getting shocked then with a quick dash and a quick yelp he's be on the other side. Petur figured he'd fix 'ol Rockys wagon so he went and got another e-fence and buried it next to the first. :(
Shortly thereafter he saw Rocky back up, get a good run and blast through the fence! The shock was strong enough to knock him off his feet but he got up shook him self and trotted down the road!
I guess some dogs just gotta do what they gotta do. 8)
dennmor
Rather hunt without a gun than without a dog!

Image Image Image

rockllews

Post by rockllews » Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks all for the suggestions. I'll relay them to the lady who's fostering Emma.

donnie_19

Post by donnie_19 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:01 pm

All dogs are not the same but there is better dog fence equipment available that will knock any dog on his butt. It's not cheap but neither is a vet bill for a dog getting hit by a car. In the case of an electric dog fence inside an existing fence 99% of the dogs won't deal with it. I have even used this on dogs getting out the tops of kennels. Most people give up to soon just like training sometimes it takes a little experimenting.
Don

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:12 am

My new pointer has figured out how to climb a 5 ft hog fence..
KN

scout_on_38s

Post by scout_on_38s » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:46 am

My old GSP is a climber not a jumper. Will stick his feet in a fence just like a person and climb right over. Usually not a problem unless it storms. Hasn't happened much as he's gotten older. Some just don't learn no matter what you try.
Murphy- RIP
Cali- 3yo Black/White Ticked Patched GSP.... http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1052
Daisy- 3mo Black/White Patched GSP

BigShooter
GDF Junkie

Post by BigShooter » Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:28 pm

I once had an English Setter that learned to go over the fence during the winter when the snow was crusted, hard and reached half way up the fence. The next spring I got a real electric fence, you know - the kind they use for cattle but this one was toned down and specifically for dogs. I strung the wire on plastic posts with plastic wire holders about 2 feet inside the regular fence. I plugged it in to the 110 volt outlet and let the dog out. She immediately went to investigate, hit the wire once and never went near the wire again. I unplugged the unit after a couple of days, left the wire up and never had a problem again.
Mark

Willows Back In The Saddle
Tall Pines Hits The Spot
Tall Pines Queen Eleanor
Bo Dixie's Rocky
TALL PINES MOONBEAM

If it ain't broke - fix it

MB

Post by MB » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Man I feel bad for you guys. Knock on wood I've never had an escape artist. My dogs never once crossed this fence that was maybe 18" above the snow last winter.