Jumbo Quail

hunterw/newhobby

Jumbo Quail

Post by hunterw/newhobby » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:34 am

Question of the day to the guys way smarter about this stuff than me. What are the pros and cons to using Jumbo Quail in your training? I have found a breeder in MO and they're cheap. So I was wanting to make sure I'm not going to screw up my pup if I use them on her. Thanks for the help
Ross

bobman

Re: Jumbo Quail

Post by bobman » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:55 am

how well and far can they fly is the question or even will they fly
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

Benny

Post by Benny » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:17 pm

jumbo quail? is that just fat/big quail?
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

webfoot1973

Post by webfoot1973 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:32 pm

They look like chuckars......they just dont fly like chuckars( more like yard chickens )

mm

Post by mm » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:37 am

Has anyone ever used cortinx quail I heard the mature faster start to breed sooner and fly better than bobwhites is this true?
mm

aferguson27

Post by aferguson27 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:54 am

mm wrote:Has anyone ever used cortinx quail I heard the mature faster start to breed sooner and fly better than bobwhites is this true?
mm
I've never had one to fly better then a bobwhite for the reason they are more tame then a bobwhite. I've used tibtan quail they fly pretty good around 6 to 7 weeks old and start laying eggs around 7 to 8 weeks old so they are pretty easy to keep.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:58 am

mm wrote:Has anyone ever used cortinx quail I heard the mature faster start to breed sooner and fly better than bobwhites is this true?
mm
Not in my experience - exact opposite on the flying thing. No idea about the breeding.

mm

Post by mm » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:44 am

I am going to look for the tibtan quail. I have bobwhites but I would like to raise a bird that matures faster it seems like it would be easier all around. These tibtan qail mature in half the time. Have you hatched the eggs from them or do you buy them full grown.
mm

mm

Post by mm » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:19 pm

I read a little about these tibetian quail and I think they sound good I bought 20 from a place in OK they were only 2.75 each and they shipped them. I got them today and they look good I am going to keep them and breed them to use for training.
mm

aferguson27

Post by aferguson27 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:59 pm

mm wrote:I read a little about these tibetian quail and I think they sound good I bought 20 from a place in OK they were only 2.75 each and they shipped them. I got them today and they look good I am going to keep them and breed them to use for training.
mm
I all ways had good luck with them and if I had some that wouldn't fly I would launch them :)

mm

Post by mm » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:36 am

I am looking foward to breeding them it sounds easier than the bobwhites and faster with birds ready sooner for training. When all was said and done these birds were only $1 more each than the bobwhites I buy and I have to drive 100 miles to get them these were at my post office for pickup.
mm

Prairie Hunter

Post by Prairie Hunter » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:34 am

Has anyone ever used cortinx quail I heard the mature faster start to breed sooner and fly better than bobwhites is this true?
I would not use cortunix quail if you are training a pup or a dog that isn't staunch on point. Cortunix quail like to bury themsleves in the grass, and not flush. It is easy for a pup to dive in and catch them. Sometimes bobwhite fly well, and sometimes they don't. I don't like to take that chance with a pup. When working with a dog that isn't staunch, my preference would be chukar or pigeons.

R-Middleton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by R-Middleton » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:41 pm

I raised a bunch of Jumbo Bob Whites one time, and they were better than the regular Bobs that I had been using.

Ray Middleton

mm

Post by mm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:02 am

I kept those 20 tibetian quail and I have been hatching there eggs. So far I have been getting between 20 and 40 eggs a week and they have been hatching well I wouls say 80 to 90 percent and I am just using a hoverbater. They mature fast and I only keep them in the brooder for 2 to 3 weeks and then they go outside. The weather is warm so that helps with this. So far my oldes ones are 5 weeks and they appear almost full grown. However none of these birds fly that well yet. There are several more weeks until maturity so I will wait and see. I have not used these to train with yet I used up all my bobwhites and then my dogs went to the trainer for the summer. I have been planning that these birds will be ready when the dogs return. I should have a few hunderd by then at different maturity levels and it will be Sept and I can put them out at our club where we have a preserve license and shoot them for the dogs. Hopefully they will fly well.
mm

3Britts

Post by 3Britts » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:23 am

pics!

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:57 am

If the dog points them and they fly well - go for it.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Duane M

Post by Duane M » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:13 am

The tibetans were "made" by B&D Game farm and are better than the Pharoah/Coturnix quail for training but still not as good as a Bob is for the most part, B&D made the breed by crossing a Pharoah with another type of Coturnix from what Bert the owner told me. You can get them to recall somewhat but once again not as good as a Bob and the worst part is they do not eat as good, really don't eat well at all IMHO. A few years back I bought some Georgia Giants from a guy that I would buy again in a heartbeat if I could find them locally, they were large like a Wisconsin jumbo but they could fly like a batt outta heck unlike the Wisconsins that fly like a brick with wings.

mm

Post by mm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Here are some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mm

Post by mm » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:33 pm

more pics

I have not had trouble with them eating at all they have been easy to breed and care for. I am concerned about the flying so only time will tell if they fly good. I dont use a recall pen because I dont have a place where I can use it. I just let them go when I train. I will test them out good before I use them with my dogs to make sure they fly ok otherwise they will have to go. I dont use launchers also so I need them to fly good. I was pleased with the bobwhites I had but they take to long to raise to maturity. I am hoping for a lot with these guys so far so good I will let you know how they work out.
mm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:57 pm

No sense in trying to re-invent the wheel, bobs fly great if you get them from a great supplier. They do cost more but eleviate (sp?) problems that can arrise from "other" birds. Pigeons are the cheapest birds available if cost is an issue. :wink:
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:17 pm

I read an article the other day about crossing bobwhites with courtnix quail because the courtnix are completely mature at 5-6 weeks and the bobs have more of a wildness to them and fly better.

mm

Post by mm » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:08 am

I had some eggs from the bobwhites I had and I hatched them and they are in there with the tibetians. I was thinking ok breeding them togther to see what happens.
mm

mm

Post by mm » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:18 am

I brought a bunch of these quail to the dog trainer yesterday. They have several recall pens on a large property. He put them in a nice big recall pen and is going to leave them a couple of weeks and then start using them for training. He thinks they will do well. I am looking foward to seeing how they do.