finding gamebirds for sale

TEX-X

finding gamebirds for sale

Post by TEX-X » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:22 pm

I'm looking to buy game birds (quail, pheasant, ETC.) to train my pup on...but i can't seem to find anyone with them up here in north western Washington. There are not a whole lot of pigeons in my area so i can't trap. I've found a few hatcheries online but am not to sure of getting flight conditioned birds through the mail... help anyone?

GsPJustin

Re: finding gamebirds for sale

Post by GsPJustin » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:39 am

Don't know about prices, but if you had limited places to buy from the first place I would look is a preserve. They usually are willing to part with some birds. Chukar or Pheasant seem to be most popular. Depending on the place. Sometimes they can be pricey though.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:09 am

Go to akc.org do a awards and events search for hunt test in your state. Go back 12 months and click on the clubs. You will get contact information for the club holding the event. Ask that person where they get their birds.
It is very hard to get birds this time of the year. Too early for new hatch and the old birds are either sold or by this time many don't fly well due to molt or eggs.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:18 am

Look at mynaga.org , bookmark it because it is a GREAT resource.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

jetto

Post by jetto » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:22 am

I recently found a great resource for pigeons. Didn't ask about gamebirds but something like this may be a resource for them also. I searched on farm swap meets here in Ohio. Google pulled up a yahoo list for an Ohio Farmers swap/for sale list. Joined the list and I got multiple responses to my request for pigeons and found exactly what we wanted within a few days of posting on the list.

It's worth a try to see if there is anything like that on yahoo for your state. Kristi

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:51 am

Where in Western Washington...or rather how far north are you?
They're selling birds like crazy at Coastal Farm Supply here in Oregon. They do every spring. I would imagine even if you don't have a Coastal, there is some good size feed store chain that is doing the same thing in Washington.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:14 am

Thank you to everyone who has helped! i'm in Oak harbor, WA I'm stationed at Naval air station Whidbey island....right on the ocean and 1 hour from the canadian border...i checked with a local feed store and they were selling quail for 14 bucks a head and a 25 head minimum....thought it was pricey but i have to do what i have to do. i will definately check into all of thing that ya'll have suggested once again thank you very much.
Last edited by TEX-X on Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kylenicholas02

Post by kylenicholas02 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:34 am

Yeah you'll have $10,000 in that dog its first year with bird prices like that... Good idea to check out trials.. I picked some up 3.75 a head saturday that fly great
KN

Benny

Post by Benny » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:15 pm

TEX-X wrote:Thank you to everyone who has helped! i'm in Oak harbor, WA I'm stationed at Naval air station Whidbey island....right on the ocean and 1 hour from the canadian border...i checked with a local feed store and they were selling quail for 14 bucks a head and a 25 dollar minimum....thought it was pricey but i have to do what i have to do. i will definately check into all of thing that ya'll have suggested once again thank you very much.
Don't know what feed store that is, but that's a rip off all the way. Last I checked Anacortes is littered with pigeons. Can't you drive a bit to set up a trap? Seems like it would be a cost saver for sure.
Oregon State University
USFS - Hotshot

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:49 pm

oh i can most definitely drive a bit. i'll have to figure out a place to set them in anacortes.... on the upside i did find a man who had some pheasant raised in a few flight pens. he told me he would be able to get rid of a few roosters. so hopefully he don't want an arm and a leg for them. i cannot find anything regarding farm swap meets in washington but i will keep looking

fishvik

Post by fishvik » Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:17 pm

If you can find a good accessible roosting site for pigeons (highway over passes, railroad bridges, old buildings) and you can get permission to catch them, netting pigeons at night with high powered flashlight and 18-24 inch fishing net taped to an extesion pole( like those used for painting, extention of 15feet) is a real hoot. I've caught as many as 5 or 6 at site. You just shine the light in their eyes and the slip the net up to them. If they don't have a way to escape to the rear they fly right into the net. I like this approach better than trapping because you don't have to keep checking the trap and it's kinda fun catching them in a net. Kinda like catch and release bird hunting. Just make sure you have permission and that the area is free of hazards. ie vehicle traffic, low power-lines, trains etc. The big draw back is lack of sleep. You have do it when it is real dark out. I've found that early morning on moonless nights is best. Good luck.

mm

Post by mm » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:35 am

I dont know if this helps but I bought some quail last week from this place http://www.bdfarm.com/ they are in OK and they mailed them to me in NY and they arrived fine and they were good. The birds were $2 and 75 cents and the shipping was $55. I bought 20 and it turns out cheaper for me than going 100 miles to NJ and paying $4 a bird and wasting a day getting them plus gas and tolls these were delivered to my door. I thought the birds were good and the people in OK seemed nice.
Good luck
mm

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue May 12, 2009 11:16 am

thank you to MM for putting me on the BDfarm lead...i will be ordering birds on thursday... but i'd still like to find a place locally ....

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:52 am

mm wrote:I dont know if this helps but I bought some quail last week from this place http://www.bdfarm.com/ they are in OK and they mailed them to me in NY and they arrived fine and they were good. The birds were $2 and 75 cents and the shipping was $55. I bought 20 and it turns out cheaper for me than going 100 miles to NJ and paying $4 a bird and wasting a day getting them plus gas and tolls these were delivered to my door. I thought the birds were good and the people in OK seemed nice.
Good luck
mm

MM thanks for the tip.....well thanks to everyone...but i order 20 quail from Bd farm last week...the birds are in good shape and are very strong. i'm very happy with them and BD farms were a pleasure to do business with

mm

Post by mm » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:30 am

Glad to hear that it worked out, what kind of birds did you get. The ones I got have been laying eggs all summer and I hatched about 200 or more of them I have lots of birds now. Since I got the birds also I have had to ask a few questions of the people at B & D and they have been very nice and answered every question I like them a lot.
MM

TEX-X

Post by TEX-X » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:40 am

i ordered the pharaoh quail. they were the cheapest and from what i've heard they are pretty tough... they have been working out great. are you incubating the laid eggs?

mm

Post by mm » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:31 am

Yes I am I have a hovabator incubator and I made a broder and they are doing good. My dogs are at a trainer and I gave him 50 birds and he is using them in one of his recall pens and so far they are doing good. I still have a load of them here at home and I still have eggs in the incubator. One of my dogs is coming home this weekend and I am going to continue to work her with these birds for a couple of weeks and then head for montana for 2 or three weeks. I was pleased with b&d and glad you were also , I thought their prices were good.
MM