Trainer recomendations in VA, NC, WV, TN, SC

phoenix

Trainer recomendations in VA, NC, WV, TN, SC

Post by phoenix » Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:44 pm

As I mentioned, I want to get Duff some top notch training so that he can maximize his potential. I am impressed with what he has shown me in his ability to learn. For example in the "wing on the string" game he has learned that he cant catch it and it will take flight and now circles to intercept. Cant help but smile as I watch him calculate and position himself. Anyway. I am hoping that some folks can rercomend trainers in the states I mentioned. (easy driving distance, I want to be involved) I have a llewellin setter and I would like someone who has experience with the setter breed. Thanks in advance! And by all means if you are a trainer who posts here please pm me so that we can talk!
fg

bwjohn

Re: Trainer recomendations in VA, NC, WV, TN, SC

Post by bwjohn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:19 pm

I do not know what part of VA you are in, but I have two suggestions for you.

One is Dave Pomfret, he works out of Blandfield Plantation during the winter and summers in North Dakota. Look up Blandfield and you can find his contact info. He is in Eastern VA, about 45-60 min. from Richmond VA.

The other is Bruce Shaffer from Almost Heaven GSP's. Bruce is in WV about 45 min. from Winchester VA. He is there year around. He has a website AHGSP.

I think both are quality trainers and good people. I know that Dave has worked with Setters, don't know for sure about Bruce. But I am confident he would be fine with your breed.

brandon

dan v

Post by dan v » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:42 pm

Dan

volraider

Post by volraider » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:24 pm

http://www.lindleykennel.com/ It's hard to beat Maurice. Another would be http://www.walnuthillgsps.us/ Brenda done a really nice job on my buddy's shorthair.

dogirl

Post by dogirl » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:14 pm

I second Lindley kennels in SC. Mo is training my dog right now.

Kiki's Mom

Post by Kiki's Mom » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:01 pm

I second the recommendation of Dave Pomfret...

BoJack

Post by BoJack » Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 pm

You couldn't go wrong with Bruce Shaffer.He knows what he's doing and Dedicated to what he does.He works Pointers and Setters also.http://www.almostheavengsps.netkennel.com/
Dog On Point!!

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:53 am

I am going to attend a seminar at Piney Run Kennels in Baskerville Va the weekend of May 16th-17th, it's only a couple hrs away from where i live in VA. It will be a good chance to take a look at Maurice Lindley and how he trains and for him to get a look at my Pup. Duff will be 4 months at that point and if Maurice thinks him a good candidate he may be attending his puppy program when he hits 6 months. I am still looking at every recomendation so please keep them coming! The info is much appriciated. I of course did a search and found my own results as well but nothing beats advice based on personal experience. Dogirl, what breed is Mo training for you? How old is he/she? How long has the dog been in training and have you been down to be involved and evaluate progress? What is your impression? Shoot me a pm so we can chat about it! Thanks!

gspbirdhunter

Post by gspbirdhunter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:20 pm

From my own experience with my GSP, I would definitely recommend Bruce Shaffer at AHGSP. If you want more info on him pm me and I would be glad to tell you what he was able to accomplish with my dog.

JordiLa

Post by JordiLa » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:16 pm

gspbirdhunter wrote:From my own experience with my GSP, I would definitely recommend Bruce Shaffer at AHGSP. If you want more info on him pm me and I would be glad to tell you what he was able to accomplish with my dog.

I have to agree with gspbirdhunter, Bruce does a nice job with pup! you have any question let me know via PM!!!!
If you turn the imagination loose like a hunting dog, it will often return with a bird in its mouth! (william maxwell)

NC_GSP

Post by NC_GSP » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:15 pm

I second or third Bruce Shaffer. He is a great guy and produces great dogs. I bought a started dog from him a few months back and could not be happier with the dog and the whole experience.
http://www.almostheavengsps.netkennel.com/