Birds for training

phoenix

Birds for training

Post by phoenix » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:39 am

Hey everyone, I am in central VA and I am looking to get my hands on a few birds, just to introduce my pup to at this point. If I buy quail online I have to get 12 min, and I am just not ready for that many. Would like to get my hands on 4-6 quail, pidgeons. Thanks for any help!
fg

bwjohn

Re: Birds for training

Post by bwjohn » Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:43 pm

where at exactly in c va? I know a few places around Richmond that you can get a small amount of birds. Also look on the va game and wildlife page, they have a list of people that raise birds by county.

Brandon

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:23 pm

I live in Lynchburg. I looked on the game and wildlife page and couldnt find much. Where abot in Richmond. I casn deal with a two hor drive no problem!
fg

bwjohn

Post by bwjohn » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:33 pm

there is a guy in Charles City county, his name is Ralph Robbins. He is next to Shirley Plantation. So you could some out 360 and then hit route 5 to get to him. Last year he was charging 3.25 a bird.

I am surprised that there is no one close to you.

here is the game and wildlife web page that I was talking about, there is probably someone closer to you than Richmond. I don't think that it is worth a 2 hour drive to get few a birds.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/wildlife/a ... n+Bobwhite

good luck, cute pup by the way. hope the training goes well.

Brandon

jt807

Post by jt807 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:44 pm

phoenix wrote:Hey everyone, I am in central VA and I am looking to get my hands on a few birds, just to introduce my pup to at this point. If I buy quail online I have to get 12 min, and I am just not ready for that many. Would like to get my hands on 4-6 quail, pidgeons. Thanks for any help!
fg
Where do you buy your quail online?

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:22 pm

sweet, I found some chuckar just an hour away! Going to scoop up a few thursday. I think it wil be fun to get to expose little Duff to a few birds! And as far as quail online, just do a search on google, there are quite a few places!

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:58 am

Well, I went and picked up a few chuckar to use to introduce Duff to some birds. LOL honestly living on the east coast I had never seen a chuckar in person and they are quite a bit larger than I realized! At three months Duff looks these things eye to eye! I am impressed with how strong the birds were, I actualy had to use a 25' tape line to anchor the thing from flying too far! Any way after a little intro, Duff's curiosity got the best of him and he proceded to enjoy a mouthfull of tailfeathers that had poked through the cage! Here are a few pics of him doing his thing after I planted a few! This whole experience has just been of great reward, my life has been blessed with this little guy!
Image[/img]

phoenix

Post by phoenix » Sun May 03, 2009 7:13 pm

few more pics! Image
Image[/img]