multiple competition venues..

MTO4Life

multiple competition venues..

Post by MTO4Life » Mon May 04, 2009 4:34 pm

A coworker of mine knows someone who does scent tracking with their shepard. He was asking me why I don't do it with my dog (britt). It's not something that really interests me, but I got to thinking, is a pointing dog able to compete in both venues? Would it be like NAVHDA with different titles? Or, would having her trained as a pointer and running trials be affected by having her also compete solely on her tracking ability? Just curious as it was something I didn't know! Thanks.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Re: multiple competition venues..

Post by wems2371 » Mon May 04, 2009 4:58 pm

Are you talking about blood tracking of game--or AKC tracking, which if I remember right is of a personal article...leading to a person? I have yet to try blood tracking, but have several friends in my NAVHDA club with DDs and DKs that do it. One just completed a 48 hour old blood test a few weeks ago. I've gotten the brief tutorial on how to get started :D, and one of the things I was told about blood tracking was to get my dog a harness to wear when doing tracks...so she knew the harness meant we're here to do a track. I watched a show on the training of a bloodhound also, and emphasis was put on using a harness too. I think once the dog is trained and puts 2 and 2 together, there wouldn't be a problem.

Okay, that's my 2 cents about something I've never actually done........... :mrgreen:

MTO4Life

Re: multiple competition venues..

Post by MTO4Life » Mon May 04, 2009 6:19 pm

They were talking about the scenting of objects I guess (in Canada). I'm assuming it is the same type of tracking as the AKC tracking (like the variable surface tracking etc...).