Crate Insanity

pstrman

Crate Insanity

Post by pstrman » Tue May 05, 2009 8:06 am

I have been just wondering how long the average dog or pup is in it's crate before the insane barking occurs. My little 13 week old I feel does real well at sleeping in it any where from 6 to 71/2 hours at night. Once that time is reached the insanity starts until she hears me or sees me. I should say that no matter what time she goes to bed she id awake around 7am every morning.

No real question just wondering others experience

Bryan

andreasrossouw

Re: Crate Insanity

Post by andreasrossouw » Tue May 05, 2009 8:34 am

I keep my pup in a crate where i can hear him. And he woke me at night the first week to go out and do his thing. But then he got used to the feeding patterns and i always let him out before putting him in his crate and after eating. So now he doesnt moan or anything through the night
until the time hits 6:00 or he hears me. So so much for sleeping in...

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Tue May 05, 2009 10:50 am

I would LOVE to do the crate thing at night... but Kevin is so besotted with the little devil, he's been sleeping in the bed with us, the irish and the cat. He woke us up at 6:29 this morning, one minute before the alarm went off with a paw to the face. Kevin took him out and he did his business and got into the car for the trip to drop Levi off at school. Slept the whole way. Now we're at the shop where we have a crate, and he cries like a darn fool until we turn country music on. Something about country music causes my dogs to just mellow right out. I think it's the baseline. Whenever we load up into the RV to go to Canada for shows or down south, the country music settles everyone in their crates right down the whole trip. Weird, huh?

BluffCountryOutdoors

Post by BluffCountryOutdoors » Tue May 05, 2009 12:05 pm

I leave my 5 month old in his kennel right next to the bed. When the lights go out and we all go to bed I put him in and he may whine for a bit but I make sure to NEVER let him out of the kennel when he whines otherwise a pup learns that if he whines he may get let out. Also like you said trying to keep the same schedule every day lets the dog realize what is happening. On several occasions I have gotten up in the middle of the night or Early morning to let out the pup because it's a long time for them to hold themselves. It also allows them to get used to going in and out of the kennel.

I think for me about a few weeks go by until you get complete silence for 8 hours. but I mean It's a puppy so you know, you have to accommodate the puppies needs while he is developing all the while trying to do it right.

Good luck with your new pup and have fun!

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 05, 2009 1:54 pm

BluffCountryOutdoors wrote:I leave my 5 month old in his kennel right next to the bed. When the lights go out and we all go to bed I put him in and he may whine for a bit but I make sure to NEVER let him out of the kennel when he whines otherwise a pup learns that if he whines he may get let out. Also like you said trying to keep the same schedule every day lets the dog realize what is happening. On several occasions I have gotten up in the middle of the night or Early morning to let out the pup because it's a long time for them to hold themselves. It also allows them to get used to going in and out of the kennel.

I think for me about a few weeks go by until you get complete silence for 8 hours. but I mean It's a puppy so you know, you have to accommodate the puppies needs while he is developing all the while trying to do it right.

Good luck with your new pup and have fun!

Yep and I also will not advance to the kennel or open a kennel with the dog in a hyped up mode...the first few times you seriously work that is the hardest but they learn stand still you advance and they get to come out when cued as I will not allow them to bolt out either or they run in to the crate door
they must stand there as I collar them or cue them to come out and then it is out side again ...as a pup i will carry out to make it quicker but as they age we walk out not a mindless pulling me out of on a lead
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

bobman

Post by bobman » Tue May 05, 2009 2:55 pm

You think thats bad I have a 13 year old male shorthair that starts barking in my kitchen every morning at 4:50 AM

I have about one minute before he walks over to the front door and pees a flood

this routine started about 5 months ago and the poor old guy just can't hold it very long once he gets the urge and at my age I can relate :oops:

He tries to hold it and I've learned to hurry up and open the door :D
currently two shorthairs, four english pointers, one Brittany, one SPRINGER a chihuahua and a min pin lol

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Wed May 06, 2009 3:36 pm

Oh...
My...
God...

Last night, I said, "Let's start the crate thing at night." I'm an idiot... a complete idiot. This is something you need to start on a weekend. ALL NIGHT LONG he was SCREAMING, throwing himself at the crate, I mean, it sounded like we were BEATING him senseless!!! I had to put ear plugs in just to get some sleep. 6:30 this morning, he was STILL SCREAMING. He didn't mess in the crate, but we had to wait until 6:33 to let him out because we wanted him to be quiet for 30 seconds AT LEAST before we opened the crate door.

Someone, tell me it will get better...

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Wed May 06, 2009 7:15 pm

anthonyauto wrote: Someone, tell me it will get better...
Only time will tell you that.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed May 06, 2009 8:09 pm

Put the crate in the garage or someplace you can't hear it. Usually only takes a night or two for the noice to quit when they realize you aren't there anyway. I think puppies are a lot like kids and cry when there is someone close enough to hear them.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Thu May 07, 2009 12:49 am

anthonyauto wrote:Oh...
My...
God...

Last night, I said, "Let's start the crate thing at night." I'm an idiot... a complete idiot. This is something you need to start on a weekend. ALL NIGHT LONG he was SCREAMING, throwing himself at the crate, I mean, it sounded like we were BEATING him senseless!!! I had to put ear plugs in just to get some sleep. 6:30 this morning, he was STILL SCREAMING. He didn't mess in the crate, but we had to wait until 6:33 to let him out because we wanted him to be quiet for 30 seconds AT LEAST before we opened the crate door.

Someone, tell me it will get better...
You should start up slow. During the day put him in his crate for an half hour and then let him out. And then you slowly start putting him inside for longer. He must first become used to the crate and feel safe in the crate before i would put him in there for such long times. Like you said don't let him out while he is moaning to come out. And they do become used to confined spaces due to there nature but they have to know that there crate is there safe place.

I knew it was the right time for him to switch to the crate at night when during the day when he was tired he would go lay in his crate to sleep on his own.

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Thu May 07, 2009 6:25 am

I read that somewhere, and he is fine during the day in the crate at the shop. But, it's an open wire crate, whereas the one at home is like an airline crate? Do you think that has an effect? This morning, when we got to the shop, he went right into his crate, and sat, waiting for a treat. We gave him a cookie, he went to the back of the crate, laid down, and didn't even eat it, but is sleeping on it right now. He'll eat it later. So why is this crate reaction so different from the one at home?

As for last night, he was a little better. He didn't sound like he was throwing himself at the door, and wasn't making the screaming noise he was and was instead yowling. From about 2am to 4am, he didn't make a peep. This morning, we didn't have to wait long for him to quiet before we went into the room and got him.

Personally, I LOVE the garage idea... except our garage hasn't been built yet. lol. We have a 3 bay repair shop, so it kind of fell to last on our list of things to do to the house, so we put him in the guest bedroom instead. The kids had no trouble going to sleep last night. In the kitchen, I think the accoustics made it worse.

Funny tidbit: I asked my partner to reassure me that he will get better. She said: He will if he practices long enough!

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Thu May 07, 2009 6:59 am

anthonyauto wrote:So why is this crate reaction so different from the one at home?
I only use one crate so i don't know whether it could be that. But the enclosed crate shouldnt be a problem. Maybe its because he spends more time in the crate at work than the one at home. And he has become very comfortable with the crate at work and sees that as its den? I say take the crate from home to the shop and let him get used to it. And remember he is a puppy and they feel more comfortable in enviroments they are used to.

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Thu May 07, 2009 3:26 pm

Hmm, maybe. I'll try that tonight. Thanks for the tip!

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Thu May 07, 2009 7:30 pm

Anthonyauto,

The reason I believe he is ok at the shop and not at home is because he has already learned that he has a routine. One that he has done often and can probably see you most of the time. Something that he probably didn't get so much at home because you were busy spoiling him. Where at work you guys are down to business and have probably ignored him long enough for him to settle in without even realizing it.

It could be the different type of crate, but that wouldn't be first on my list of guesses.

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Fri May 08, 2009 2:21 pm

The work crate that we took home certainly quieted him down considerably. It was just the occassional whine, but no yowling or yapping. Do you think I could just transfer the sherpa blanket out of the work crate to the crate at home, if I replace the varikennel with another wire crate, and that would be sufficient, rather than schlepping the crate back and forth?

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Fri May 08, 2009 2:31 pm

Its really up to you how you want to handle it. Before I went down and bought another 40-60 dollar crate I would be thinking about trying some other scenarios.

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Fri May 08, 2009 5:16 pm

I've got several other wire crates. They collapse and fit on the dolly for the shows easier than varikennels. So the expense isn't what concerns me. My back is. lol. All of my crates are 36" and up.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri May 08, 2009 5:27 pm

I don't want to sound meaqn but you are going to a lot of work to spoil your pup. And he will remember just like a child does. I sure wouldn't be dragging a different crate home so he doesn't cry. He needs to find out he can sleep where ever you put him and fussing won't help.

JMO

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 08, 2009 6:04 pm

I have no idea what your full day is like , but when i hear "crate at home, crate at work", I'm wondering how much time is he in the crate. It could be that by evening pup is saying, "That's it! No more crate!". Is pup getting out for good exercise several times a day? Are there times when he just lies around the house with you?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri May 08, 2009 6:08 pm

bobman wrote:You think thats bad I have a 13 year old male shorthair that starts barking in my kitchen every morning at 4:50 AM

I have about one minute before he walks over to the front door and pees a flood

this routine started about 5 months ago and the poor old guy just can't hold it very long once he gets the urge and at my age I can relate :oops:

He tries to hold it and I've learned to hurry up and open the door :D

They are all different aren't they? :) My Jack Russell never asks to go outside. He can not pee for for 12-14 hours. We have to remember to put him out off and on. He has a bladder like a swimming pool.
My older Setter hes to go out every 30 minutes or she pees at the door.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

andreasrossouw

Post by andreasrossouw » Sat May 09, 2009 12:20 am

Sharon wrote:I have no idea what your full day is like , but when i hear "crate at home, crate at work", I'm wondering how much time is he in the crate. It could be that by evening pup is saying, "That's it! No more crate!". Is pup getting out for good exercise several times a day? Are there times when he just lies around the house with you?
We don't know your schedule but Sharon may be on to something.
anthonyauto wrote:The work crate that we took home certainly quieted him down considerably. It was just the occassional whine, but no yowling or yapping. Do you think I could just transfer the sherpa blanket out of the work crate to the crate at home, if I replace the varikennel with another wire crate, and that would be sufficient, rather than schlepping the crate back and forth?
If i go visit family and i can't take a crate i always take my dogs blankets with. And they know its what they should sleep on because i think its familiar.
But in the long run i really wouldn't want to carry a crate to work every day. But rather have one at work like you already have and just drag the same blankets you use along.
Like you said better for the back. The idea of taking the crate from home to work was just to let him get used to the crate and not an permanent solution. But i like Sharon said pups should get lots of exercise during the day and not spend the whole day in a crate.

pstrman

Post by pstrman » Sun May 10, 2009 11:07 am

Abby has been real good in the crate up until late as I took her to the lake and she introduced herself to swimming. As she swam she was drinking lake water and has an upset tummy so I have to let her out a couple times a night. When mine wakes up she used to whine but has elevated to screeching at defcon 5 level and the house shakes. By the way is there anything I can give her to settle her tummy?

Interesting responses as at times I thought I bought the only insane pup. I don't feel so sorry for myself now! LOL

pstrman

Post by pstrman » Sun May 10, 2009 12:57 pm

I should mention Abby is 3 1/2 months old

kerplunk105

Post by kerplunk105 » Mon May 11, 2009 8:17 am

Leena, now almost 7 months, took (what seemed like forever) to get used to her crate. She would whine, howl, and scream usually for at least an hour whenever she was put in there. She doesnt mind her crate at all now.

Actually, yesterday for the first time she went in there on her own to sleep. I was totally shocked.

She is great out in the house and only goes in the crate when no one is home. She gets to sleep on the bed at night :lol:
-Elizabeth
Bliss, Labrador
Tegan, Weim/Labrador

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Mon May 11, 2009 11:48 am

The puppy is in the crate periodically through the day because we are crate training. He's in the crate when sleeping, then when he wakes up, we take him out to the bathroom. After he goes, he comes in, and then can either lay on the bed or play with his toys which are in the crate. At the shop, the crate door is open and his toys are in there. He comes out to greet the customers with the other setter and then he goes back to playing with his kong or sleeping. I think the open door and the ability to step out if he wants is the reason he's so mellow at the shop. He gets plenty of exercise. He gets a 35 minute walk in the mornings, out with me and Molly, plays with Kevin at lunchtime, plays with various customers and young children throughout the day, plays with Molly, and then after 3:30, when the kids get home, he's going 100 mph non-stop outside behind the shop. That's why we couldn't understand how he couldn't be tired out and sleep through the night before. We certainly were tired!

Over the weekend, he stopped crying at night. He whimpers a little at 6:30, but that's when we take him out and get the kids and dogs meals situated for the morning. I think he's over the hump and doing great now. Just the natural progression, I suppose.

anthonyauto

Post by anthonyauto » Mon May 11, 2009 11:50 am

pstrman, have you tried gingersnaps?