Spaniels

pstrman

Spaniels

Post by pstrman » Fri May 22, 2009 12:26 pm

My English Springer Abby is now 4 months old today. I had a GSP and taught her the whoa command and was wondering if I should stay with that or is there another word used for spaniels. She is starting to finally pay attention to birds and rabbits and gets excited when they flush so I am thinking of starting slow with her and just making it fun. Have watched a video but it doesn't address this command. Never had a spaniel just a pointer so this one is new for me.

Suggestions please?

thanks
Bryan

spaniel_man

Re: Spaniels

Post by spaniel_man » Fri May 22, 2009 12:43 pm

Traditionally spaniels are taught to "hup" (or sit) on a single whistle toot or upon flushing a bird/rabbit. I have read that if the dog sits they are less likely to chase, I am not sure that is true. If it was me I would probably teach hup, although there is no reason you could not teach whoa and have the dog stand when a bird flushes, pointer people do it all the time. What it comes down to is what you are comfortable with.

frankie

Post by frankie » Sat May 23, 2009 2:11 am

spaniel_man wrote:Traditionally spaniels are taught to "hup" (or sit) on a single whistle toot or upon flushing a bird/rabbit. I have read that if the dog sits they are less likely to chase, I am not sure that is true. If it was me I would probably teach hup, although there is no reason you could not teach whoa and have the dog stand when a bird flushes, pointer people do it all the time. What it comes down to is what you are comfortable with.
I agree l have 2 ESS and from early on in there training they where taught the hup ie--walking on the lead a single toot on the whistle and the
command "sit" until they responded 100% later on the command "sit" was dropped,from then on a single toot was used this is also called " the stop "
so when hunting your dog and upon flushing a single toot the dog should stop/sit and wait for your next command

Regards Frankie ( southport UK )

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Wed May 27, 2009 9:38 pm

I'm no spaniel guy, but would imagine the only downside to "whoa" would be in a field trial situation ... whether it's a practical concern, a rule, or matter of judge's taste.
Follow the hunter with the longest nose!
http://scottlindenoutdoors.com