Retrieving Issues...Cocker Spaniel

troutbum

Retrieving Issues...Cocker Spaniel

Post by troutbum » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:24 pm

Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum, so far I like what I see. I am also fairly new to training so I'm open to all advice and criticism. Anyway...I am training a very bold 7mo Cocker right now. I will basically just be using her for some early season duck hunting and forest grouse work (I live in Western Washington). She is proficient on sit, stay, come by command and whistle, and also heeling on and off lead. She is enthusiastic about gunfire and swimming. Also, I'm not using an Ecollar. I have not FF, and am a little nervous to do so, from inexperience. Up until about a week ago she was retrieving to hand and making great progress. Then all the sudden instead of picking up the dummy, she would find it and start sniffing the grass around the dummy with her tail wagging like crazy. With some coaxing she will pick it up but tends to drop it while coming back. I don't feel like I pushed her too hard, but my experience has only been with labs previously. I am only doing 1-4 retrieves per session. This all started happening soon after I started steadying her for retrieves, where I pick up about half and only let her go on command. Is FF necessary or should I just back off for a while? thanks for any input!!! Also, her water retrieves are 100%, if that helps...
Last edited by troutbum on Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Re: Retrieving Issues...Cocker Spaniel

Post by ACooper » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:40 pm

At seven months old I think most people will tell you to wait before FF, but it all depends on the maturity of the dog. English Cockers can be early maturing dogs so it is really up to if you think she is ready. Maybe you should lay off the retrieves for a few days and try it again,you are doing the right thing by only tossing the dummy a few times, and remember right now she is retrieving naturally dont turn her totally off by pressuring or punishing retrieve mistakes. You have to keep it a game.

spaniel_man

Post by spaniel_man » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:05 am

working cockers are neat little dogs, I have one my self, and he went through a phase just like you described. I think ACooper told you some solid advise, I also think even with only doing 1-4 retrieves your dog is getting a little bored. I might even cut the number of sessions back so your only doing it a couple of times a week. As far as dropping the dummy, you can teach the dog to "Hold" the dummy. It is the first step of FF but you can teach it with minimal pressure. A book that I highly recommend is: Retriever training for spaniels by Pamela Owen Kadlec, it does a good job of explaining how to teach the hold command.

troutbum

Post by troutbum » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I took her out today and tried again...she did a little better but still some hesitation. Now I think it is a problem with distraction rather than boredom, I guess it can be looked at as the same thing. Lately, with the weather being nice I've been taking her to fields near my house to chase sparrows and robins. My fault, I expect her to want to retrieve a dummy or ball after chasing live birds for twenty minutes, stupid. I think I'll wait a couple days and take her to a bridge or alley with no distractions and try again. Thanks again

xc_burner

Post by xc_burner » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:05 pm

Have you tried on the side of your house or a hallway inside your house? Worked great for me and my English Cocker :D

troutbum

Post by troutbum » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:50 pm

Ya...since she was a small pup we have been doing retrieves in hallways and restricted areas, its just lately when she gets into a more open area she gets distracted. I think I just need to Keep at it.

xc_burner

Post by xc_burner » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:18 pm

I've found success in going back to basics (something the dog has mastered) helps quite a bit. It gives the dog some confidence and helps pup to realize what you are asking of him/her.

I always start a training session with something that has already learned. IMO it starts the dog in the right direction for the training session.