Yawning during Force Fetch

bhairhoger

Yawning during Force Fetch

Post by bhairhoger » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Ok guys got a question I need help with. I started to Force Fetch my 2 year old GSP. We are about a week into the whole process and I noticed that he yawns alot during the the "hold" stage. This happens at all points during our short training session so it is not because I am over doing it. We only work on FF for about 10 minutes at a time. Right now we are working with a 2" bumper so I am not stressing his jaw in any way. We work on FF at most twice a day, once in the morning before work and once before we go for out nightly run. I never notice him yawning any other time so what do you think is causing the problem?
Rules while hunting with me and my dog
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me
#3 If you break rule #1 be ready to break rule #2!

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=1188
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=3371

xc_burner

Re: Yawning during Force Fetch

Post by xc_burner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Stress related to the force fetch process. If it were me, I would accentuate the positive and don't get negative at all. If the dog does something wrong don't do anything or say anything. Just repeat what you want your pup to do. When they do it right. Give em praise.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:35 pm

xc_burner wrote:Stress related to the force fetch process. If it were me, I would accentuate the positive and don't get negative at all. If the dog does something wrong don't do anything or say anything. Just repeat what you want your pup to do. When they do it right. Give em praise.
Agreed! Zio will sometimes do this during Obedience sessions as well.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:43 pm

Thanks for the responce. From my stand point I am not putting any stress on him. I open his mouth, say fetch, and insert the bumper. When he drops it I do it all over again. If I feel like he is going to drop it I put my hand up and say fetch again. I am not pushing him or correcting him at any point during this training. Is the hold still enough stress to make him yawn all the time? I deffinantly put more stress on him during his "whoa" training and he never yawned?
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me

Sprig

Post by Sprig » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:48 pm

if you are not adding pressure by a ear pinch or toe hitch you may get this response as the dog is kind of bored with what you are doing. it might be a sigh that you may need to start the pressure part of the ff if you are satisfied with the dog knowing "fetch" "hold" and "drop". as long as you are working with him and being consistant, i wouldnt worry too much about the yawning if you havent reached the pressure stage yet.

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:49 pm

bhairhoger wrote:Thanks for the responce. From my stand point I am not putting any stress on him. I open his mouth, say fetch, and insert the bumper. When he drops it I do it all over again. If I feel like he is going to drop it I put my hand up and say fetch again. I am not pushing him or correcting him at any point during this training. Is the hold still enough stress to make him yawn all the time? I deffinantly put more stress on him during his "whoa" training and he never yawned?
Zio will be on a sit stay and yawn. It's really not what WE think is stressful, but what THEY think is stressful. As xc_burner said, all you can do is try to make it a positive upbeat experience so that eventually he doesn't feel pressured/stressed enough to yawn.
=SubMariner=
No matter where you go, there you are!

Merle

Post by Merle » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:17 am

Not only will some dogs yawn when they are stressed but sometimes dogs will yawn as a form of submission. He may just be letting you know that you are the boss.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:03 pm

Maybe he's bored :lol: But some dogs yawn out of stress or just habit.
brenda

bhairhoger

Post by bhairhoger » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:29 pm

I moved on to the ear pinch last night and this morning during the training and he never yawned. He held the bumper tight and did not try and spit it out. He did fight me when I tried to get the bumper in his mouth but once it was in and the pressure turned off he was fine. I think his yawning was his way of telling me to "pound salt" which he has done in every other aspect of training. Thanks for all the info guys!
#1 Don't shoot my dog
#2 Don't shoot me